Jet Airways now adds a "convenience" fee!

Subscribe
This is RIDICULOUS.

Where is that dual ID Jet rep now? Care to explain what convenience you are offering us?
Ah... I see the problem here... you are assuming it is for YOUR convenience... when in fact it is merely a very convenient way for them to charge you more....
i agree its ridiculous....they added it for redemption bookings a while ago but i never noticed it for revenue bookings....
Isn't there some soft regulation on fares? Someone should take these guys to consumer court and ask what exactly is the convenience they're charging for. Am happy to chip in - expert witness or tip jar for consumer court fees
Quote: Isn't there some soft regulation on fares? Someone should take these guys to consumer court and ask what exactly is the convenience they're charging for. Am happy to chip in - expert witness or tip jar for consumer court fees
I'm in too.

I guess Keyser could throw more light on this?
Quote: i agree its ridiculous....they added it for redemption bookings a while ago but i never noticed it for revenue bookings....
Yup.

Surprised they haven't made it a % rather than a fixed amount to hurt pax even more.
Quote: Isn't there some soft regulation on fares? Someone should take these guys to consumer court and ask what exactly is the convenience they're charging for. Am happy to chip in - expert witness or tip jar for consumer court fees
Quote: I'm in too.

there is no grounds to take them to court....they are free to charge whatever they want....after all, its up to us whether we chose to fly them or not....
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Quote: I'm in too.

there is no grounds to take them to court....they are free to charge whatever they want....after all, its up to us whether we chose to fly them or not....
Agreed.^^ I understand you gave a legal opinion, but my personal opinion is that people who go to court thinking it`s illegal for an airline to institue a fee, should be slapped with a fine.:-P
If you don't like the fee, don't pay it. Go to an airline that doesn't charge the fee.
It makes me wonder if some people understand what is or is not a matter of law. It's quite simple, really. Now we know how lawyers can make so much money! :-D
Why do people act so surprised?
Quote: Effective June 4, 2012, guests will be charged a convenience fee for booking their travel on jetairways.com and jetkonnect.com.

This non refundable fee is applicable to each guest mentioned on the eTicket.
Type of Travel Economy Premire
Domestic Travel INR 100 per guest INR 200 per guest
International Travel INR 200 per guest INR 400 per guest
Jet Airways

The site, however, gives no indication of what this fee is for. Many airlines charge for making a booking with a human by phone or at ticket office. This seems to be a fee for booking on the website. I suppose it's designed to recoup some of the IT expense.
Does Jet charge a fee for booking via phone also?
Quote: Does Jet charge a fee for booking via phone also?
IIRC its USD/CAD 25 for tickets in USA/CAN respectively and INR 150 in India and UK GBP 4.50 for using a CC with UK address.
All other airlines in India offer a discount for booking on their website. I think jet thinks its the only airline people fly and they can charge whatever they feel like.
Quote: IIRC its USD/CAD 25 for tickets in USA/CAN respectively and INR 150 in India and UK GBP 4.50 for using a CC with UK address.
Have Indian passengers gone on strike to protest against discriminatory charge of Rs 150, or moved Consumer Court, as Jet charges USD/CAD 25 in the U.S. and Canada. ?
Sounds like Jet is discriminating against Indians.
Quote: All other airlines in India offer a discount for booking on their website. I think jet thinks its the only airline people fly and they can charge whatever they feel like.
If you read what people wrote of 9W before you came here, you would think there was nothing better than 9W. It seems 9W believed all that propaganda by a small group of people.
Quote: my personal opinion is that people who go to court thinking it`s illegal for an airline to institue a fee, should be slapped with a fine.:-P
And my personal opinion is that you need to read what I said more carefully. I first started off by asking if there wasn't "soft regulation of fares". Then, since the web booking page does not mention anything about what convenience they're charging for, in the light of the supposed "soft regulation of fares", I questioned if there wasn't a case to take them to consumer court and make them spell out what they're charging for. Still with me?

Since you questioned whether I knew what is or is not a matter of law, let me say it clearly here so there is no ambiguity, transparency in pricing is, or should be, a matter of law. Considering that India still does not have Truth in Lending, expecting the airline industry to expose everything here, might be expecting too much. But guess what, expect I will. Quixotic as that might be

And p.s. - kudos for digging out the post from JetAirways but posting on a forum read by, oh 200-odd people at most, is not transparency
Quote: there is no grounds to take them to court....they are free to charge whatever they want....after all, its up to us whether we chose to fly them or not....
Are you sure about that? Charging the amount as a fee instead of the base fare might have some tax consequences that the tax authorities might be interested in...