Goa - "luxury resort" worth it for late May?

Subscribe
I'm setting off on a long holiday, and we're going try our luck starting off in Goa or Kerala for a few days in late may to beat the monsoon and get some (hot, humid) time on the beach / by the pool. After that we'll head on to other activities in Kerala which seem like they'll be less severely adversely affected by the rains, and then up to other parts of India altogether.

For most of the trip we'll likely stay in local accommodation - inexpensive hotels, guesthouses, etc. However I have some money, credit card and loyalty points set aside to stay in nicer boutique / luxury hotels from time to time.

I was originally going to stay at Kovalam or Varkala in Kerala for a few days on the beach and there I planned to stay in something small local and cheap but it seems like a better weather bet to start further north.

My question is, is it worth it to use some of the luxury hotel nights up in Goa (we're traveling all over, but figure we'd be giving up a fancy hotel in Agra, or in Helsinki, or something) to have a nice resort with a quiet beach and good services, or should I find a guesthouse in Baga or elsewhere and would that give me a decent experience despite it being the off season?

If we stay at a chain hotel it would likely be the Park Hyatt, which I know has relatively mixed reviews here, but set that consideration aside for a moment.
Quote: My question is, is it worth it to use some of the luxury hotel nights up in Goa (we're traveling all over, but figure we'd be giving up a fancy hotel in Agra, or in Helsinki, or something) to have a nice resort with a quiet beach and good services, or should I find a guesthouse in Baga or elsewhere and would that give me a decent experience despite it being the off season?
The latter. Goa has some great guesthouses/homestays. You will need air-conditioning in Agra so use the points for a nice hotel with a pool there. HTH
Thanks - appreciate the quick reply and resolute opinion.

Any recommendations, either on specific guest houses or on a particular town? North beaches? Palolem? Will these areas be pretty shut down the last week of May or still reasonably active?
Quote: Any recommendations, either on specific guest houses or on a particular town? North beaches? Palolem? Will these areas be pretty shut down the last week of May or still reasonably active?
I've only stayed in one, called Marbella. It was nice. Friends have stayed in others and had good things to say etc. Check TripAdvisor India for reviews, its mostly accurate. North would be a good option in monsoon - way less crowds and you will have restaurants/couple of clubs open. I prefer South personally but then eating out/partying might be more limited
Quote: You will need air-conditioning in Agra so use the points for a nice hotel with a pool there. HTH
i agree....gline, do you have some spg points????if yes then the itc mughal will be a good choice....