Recent experience with contact lens solution at security in SIN

Subscribe
The last time I went thru SIN (mid 2008), I had my full size bottle of saline solution for my contacts confiscated entering my gate. In the US, the TSA allows full size contact lens solution.

It appears that SIN still does not permit full size contact lens solution (http://www.changiairport.com/passeng...ed-luggage/faq). Has anyone had recent experience with full size contact lens solution? Is it still confiscated? I'm having a heck of a time finding a 3oz/100ml bottle of plain-jane saline (don't really like a multi-purpose solution, they tend to sting my eyes).
Bump...anyone?
I packed my lens solution in checked luggage when we were there, so I'm afraid I'm no help with what you can take through security. If you're taking checked luggage with you I'd recommend putting it in there.

Otherwise, maybe just buy an empty 100ml bottle in Singapore and decant your bottle into that and buy some more when you get to your destination?
Quote: I packed my lens solution in checked luggage when we were there, so I'm afraid I'm no help with what you can take through security. If you're taking checked luggage with you I'd recommend putting it in there.

Otherwise, maybe just buy an empty 100ml bottle in Singapore and decant your bottle into that and buy some more when you get to your destination?
I plan on checking my luggage all the way thru from DPS (route is DPS-SIN-BKK-FRA-LAX) but have 2 overnights (SIN and FRA). I'll need contact solution at both locations.

And one should NEVER decant contact lens solution. It is sterile and you risk serious eye infection if you use solution that you transfer into another container.
This may not be helpful but something you can consider. In T3 you can buy the travel size saline solution at either the pharmacy (turn left at passport control round the corner after the escalators where the lounges are) or the Cheers convenience shop (behind the foot court) near the B gates. I always use the daily disposal contact lenses when I travel for this reason.
lots of people in asia are in need of corrective eye devices. i am sure you will easily a wide range contact solution in any asian country.
You are saying the US they allow "full-size" (8-12 oz) contact lens solution bottles? wow, that is news to me. After the liquid restrictions came into effect I always pack my large size - and just carry 2oz bottles on. And never had a problem with that size anywhere. I use Renu and they have those smaller sizes. I don't know about the "plain jane" saline sizes.

Really surprised to hear that the US would allow the full-size, esp. if already opened and not sealed. But as I said, I don't know because I never tried it...
Quote: lots of people in asia are in need of corrective eye devices. i am sure you will easily a wide range contact solution in any asian country.
Thanks, but that's not really the point. SIN is the next to last stop before I get home 2 days later. I don't really want to have to buy anything there.

Quote: You are saying the US they allow "full-size" (8-12 oz) contact lens solution bottles? wow, that is news to me. After the liquid restrictions came into effect I always pack my large size - and just carry 2oz bottles on. And never had a problem with that size anywhere. I use Renu and they have those smaller sizes. I don't know about the "plain jane" saline sizes.

Really surprised to hear that the US would allow the full-size, esp. if already opened and not sealed. But as I said, I don't know because I never tried it...
Yep, full size is not a problem. Explicitly allowed by TSA as a medical liquid. Done it many times at airports from coast to coast. It can be a bit of a pain because they always want to "test" it with some half-@ssed test they think will find something, but I have never been denied anywhere. Note that these is one brand of solution that people have had a lot of problems with though. It's the one with a high level of hydrogen peroxide.

Plain jane saline in travel size is impossible to find. However, I did find a solution that seems to not both my eyes a lot that comes in a 2oz bottle, so I think I will be stuck with that for my carry-on during this trip.
Quote: Yep, full size is not a problem. Explicitly allowed by TSA as a medical liquid. Done it many times at airports from coast to coast. It can be a bit of a pain because they always want to "test" it with some half-@ssed test they think will find something, but I have never been denied anywhere. Note that these is one brand of solution that people have had a lot of problems with though. It's the one with a high level of hydrogen peroxide.

Plain jane saline in travel size is impossible to find. However, I did find a solution that seems to not both my eyes a lot that comes in a 2oz bottle, so I think I will be stuck with that for my carry-on during this trip.
Ok, thanks. Learn something new every day - esp. when it comes to TSA!!
Quote: Ok, thanks. Learn something new every day - esp. when it comes to TSA!!
And in case you ever have troubles, here's the link on TSA's page - http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eds/index.shtm

Quote:
Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:
  • All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Wow. I'm glad I saw this thread, as I'll be stopping in Singapore a lot for the remainder of the year. I never check baggage and always carry a full size bottle with me - TSA tests it but otherwise I haven't had a problem internationally.

You could ask your optometrist for sample sizes. Mine always gives me a small bottle at every visit. I've never seen the small size in stores, but it's perfect for traveling.
Quote: Wow. I'm glad I saw this thread, as I'll be stopping in Singapore a lot for the remainder of the year. I never check baggage and always carry a full size bottle with me - TSA tests it but otherwise I haven't had a problem internationally.

You could ask your optometrist for sample sizes. Mine always gives me a small bottle at every visit. I've never seen the small size in stores, but it's perfect for traveling.
I get sample sizes of solution from my optometrist, but not saline.

As far as Singapore, yes, be forewarned. I was caught completely off guard in 2008 when SIN was the outbound connection point for my honeymoon. I ended up having to find solution in the Maldives which was not easy. A staff member ended up giving me hers after they had a tough time finding it in the city. I later had to pick and hope in Japan to get something that looked right (luckily it was).
I was reading about contact lens solution going through at US airports, and there have been instances where TSA agents confiscate the item.

In Singapore, it is a one-size-fit-all except for medical products with a letter for a doctor.
I've gone through security at Singapore 4 times in the past year (6 if you count the arrival security on flights from Jakarta), and I haven't had a problem thus far, so this is news to me.

FWIW, I carry a 3.5-oz bottle of contact lens solution and place this in my liquids bag. It's rarely ever questioned at any airport. (In Seoul, I was once asked to remove it, but it was allowed by the screener after I explained its purpose.)

Unfortunately, I wear hard (gas-permeable) contact lenses, and the necessary solution is difficult or impossible to find overseas; being asked to discard this would present a problem. I used to buy sample (1-oz) sizes, but because hard contact lenses are no longer popular, many drug stores no longer carry these.

Is there any safe/hygienic way to decant contact lens solution into a smaller container?
Quote: I was reading about contact lens solution going through at US airports, and there have been instances where TSA agents confiscate the item.

In Singapore, it is a one-size-fit-all except for medical products with a letter for a doctor.
I only know of one type of solution that gets confiscated by TSA. It's the one with a high concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide.