Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coolum, Australia REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 3/29/12

Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Planning a trip driving all the way up the east coast of Australia, stopping at worthy Hyatts along the way. Any info on this property?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 7:00 pm

As a Diamond you MAY get a villa.
I usually do.(8 times out of 10 stays)
you can also read a very good review at
www.hotelreview.de.vu

there are also good prepaid internet rates at $A205.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 3:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Hyatt Coolum RC

Anyone know whats with the "RC's" at these properties. Seems to be many rooms that serve breakfast, but I cannot tell if these are for everyone or just Diamonds and special programs.

Also wondering if they have the "rooms" open during the day, and if so, what is available.

finally wonder if they have booze and snacks in the evening for Diamonds, and if so, are they in these rooms?

Any Diamond member benefits or understanding of the RC's would be appreciated.

Oh, yes. I did read the broshure, went to the web site and read the comments on the "unofficial Hyatt site". I even e-mailed the person that made the comments. No answers yet.

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2003, 8:34 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
I've been to this property a couple of times, but it was several years ago, so I don't remember. But, I would have remembered if there was no food in the club or no Diamond ammenity, so I would expect they offer tese things.

It was a nice property, with a good golf course and great beach. It felt more like an "all inclusive resort" than a Hyatt. I don't think many of the guests frequently stay at Hyatts.

To get specific answers to your questions, I'd suggest contacting the hotel.

------------------
United UGS, MM
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun
Old Jul 26, 2003, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Well, I've been to the hotel once and a complete review is posted at the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu

As to your questions, all the RC Lounges are open to everyone staying here for breakfast and if I remember well also during the day. No information though on the evening selection since I always used the restaurants either on-property or in Noosa Heads where there is a really nice French Restaurant

Muerz

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu
Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:45 am
Original Member

Yes, I read the review and as you can see it does not address this issue. I will when I get back from our trip in September.

Hopefully some one will come thru before then!
Old Jul 27, 2003, 5:57 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
so what is the name of the recommended French restaurant in Noosa?? Thanks. Will be there in two weeks.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 9:15 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Dear Ranles,

Please allow me to provide you with some additional information about Hyatt Regency Coolum.

As you probably will have seen on the resort's website, www.coolum.hyatt.com , Hyatt Regency Coolum features a variety of studios, villas and residences set in natural Australian woodland or overlooking the golf courses or lakes of the resort.

Typically, all room rates for individual travellers include a complimentary
continental buffet breakfast, served in a nearby "Garden Lounge". These Garden Lounges are located throughout the resort. Open for breakfast only, they provide a casual indoor and outdoor setting. Most room rates also include free tennis court rental for one hour per day, a free daily shuttle service to Noosa and adult entry into the resort's Sun Spa.

As Hyatt Regency Coolum does not offer a Regency Club section, there is no evening cocktail hour for Diamond Gold Passport members. However, in addition to the continental breakfast just described, our team in Coolum will take care of you and provide you with a one-category upgrade (as
always, subject to availability at check-in), daily newspaper and a welcome amenity of local products, such as dessert nougat, Macademia nuts, etc.

I do want to take the opportunity to point out a unique feature of Hyatt Regency Coolum: the Ambassador Club. The Ambassador Club section of the resort is a collection of exclusive 2- or 3-bedroom villas and residences, clustered around an Ambassador Club-only swimming pool and lounge. This
lounge serves breakfast for Ambassador Club residents and an evening wine hour, to let you sample Australian wines.

For more information about Hyatt Regency Coolum, please refer to www.coolum.hyatt.com or contact a Resort Host via mailto:[email protected].[email protected].</A> The Resort Hosts are experts in helping you plan your Coolum break.

With warm regards,

Julia Moore
Gold Passport Internet Concierge
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:30 am
Original Member

Julia

Thank you again for coming thru for me and the mrs's. I appreciate your participation on this board, as I am sure many other do.

This is the last property in Australia, operated by Hyatt, for us to visit. All of the areas we have left to see in Australia is devoid of major chains.

I would have asked you these questions directly, but because of our lack of stays this year and some of last year (no Hyatt in London and my wife's eye surgery) we did not feel we were do the special Diamond treatment, although still having that designation. It sounds like the Ambassador Club is the equivalent of RC at Coolum? We will have to see how "lucky" we get on our four night stay starting 2SEP.

As there was a dirth of replies to this post, your response may help jazz up occupancy. The property broshure, "Your Own Space" tells the story of a fantastic property. It also provides a great deal of information on the area, weather, things to do and places to visit. Although somewhat dated, it answered all our questions, except for the Diamond issue addressed in this post.

Coming from Brisbane, we intend to stop at the Australia Zoo (home of the famous crocidile man, Steve Irwin who we have met). Then we expect to visit the Underwater World, Big Pineapple, a free day and Forest Glen Sanctury on the way back.

For those who have not been to the area, there is much more to see North on to Caines as well as days of activity down on the Gold Coast, yet another Hyatt location (Sanctuary Cove). One with a RC and a wonderful staff.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:19 am

ranles.
I am Diamond and have stayed at Coolum 6 times for 5 nights this year.
I have always been given a 2 bedroom villa. Do put in a request for a lakeside villa as it is very close to the main entrance.
I have never been given access to the Ambassador club(the price is around $1000 p/n) but was once invited to see it but due to business commitments could not.
I have never been invited again
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:56 am
Original Member

Tinkerbelle

Thanks, this was related above by Julia (my belief, a constant source of correct information and occasional assistance)from Hyatt and by the Rooms Manager at the property.

I would like to see the wine service in the evening. How this is different from the normal Regecny Club escapes me otherwise. All guest receive breakfast, included. I will be interest in what Diamond amenities do show up, given this apparent anomaly

The Persidents Villas are materially smaller than the Ambassador Villas and Residences (but a sizable upgrade from the Studio Suites), so I can see these being quite expensive, yet all the rooms are some type of suite. No one should be disappointed from seeing the broshure in their accomodations.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 6:22 pm
Original Member

Hyatt Regency Coolum

Wife and I stayed 4 nights early September. We are Diamond and stayed on points.

The property and our experience have BIG positives and some BIg negatives. After our stay and some reflection, I believe this is a great place for some people to stay and a bit nagging for others. It is well worth your while to ponder your interests and plans before going to this Hyatt. If after some research, you are still "good to go" then you will probably find this the place is fantastic.

It is important to note that the property is not a hotel, not even close. It is a golf and activities resort. Buildings are one to six units. All I saw was two story. The grounds are huge. People staying there are of at least two classes. One class is guests that pay by the night, and the other is some type of ownership/time share (OTS). The latter have what most of us Diamonds would call Regency Club. The former are treated to breakfast each day regardless of status or membership in Goldpassport.

First what we did not like (not necessarily all bad).
You park a long ways away from your unit, unless you are in the OTS group, who seem allowed to drive on the paths ment for walking, biking and carts. Drivered trams are provided for transportation. "Tram" stops are scattered through the property. They maintain a regular schedule of about every 15 minutes, except when they don't and that can be 35 minutes (one of our waits). Trams were most unpredictable in the am and pm. During the mid day they were very available. Valet parking was provided for A$20 for our full stay. Service was mixed. Bikes rent for A$15 a day.

The breakfast lounges are spread around the property to minimize the walk one needs to make. Unfortunately, our was shutdown...while I could not get a reason why, it seems to have been to save money. The breakfast was fine. The ambience was horrible. 3 of every 4 couples attending breakfast had one to three children under 5. The noise, smell, little hands on the food displays, and mess on the floor was not acceptable at a McDonalds. The help tried to keep things clean, but did little to reduce the other problems. We were told that it is worse when school is out then the bit older children come. There are very few times of the year adults would be comfortable to dine with same in comfort.

The property is quite remote. Except for the tram to Noosa, you will need a car if you intend to see some of the attractions of the area. The Australia Zoo, the Big Pineapple, Bli Bli Castle, Forest Glen Sanctuary and Underwater World are a material distances, as are alternate eateries.

The unit we stayed was an upgrade (Presidents Villa, one of many), but was no where near the best available room for ungrade. We knew before we left that this would be the case. There is one category lower, Studio Suite and two larger that you will never see the inside of unless you talk about buying into the place. Our unit was upstairs. It had two bedrooms, a sitting room, breakfast area and small kitcheon (limited). We had two balconys. One with furniture overlooking the 18th tee and one without with a particial view of the 17th green. The faucet was mismatch with the sink, making it impossible to do most anything without splashing all over. Big good, but went with it anyway!!!

The tram will take you to an area on the property with several eateries (The Village Square), including a take away and pizza. There also is a dining room in the main building (we found this place to be a better that average one) although they messed up our reservation. We had pizza twice, once room service and once we brought it back on the tram. I do not suggest the latter (too much time elapses).

This Hyatt has its own beach (Beach Club). You take the tram to a private area. This area has bathrooms, a pool, sitting areas, sports courts and a path down to the beach. The beach has lots of sand, a lifeguard station and what appears to be some junk chairs. Note this is NOT summer. This whole area was quite pleasant in the late evening and during the day. It was too cold for most of the people with tots to go. None of the pools seem cared for or heated (again this was not summer..but)

The property is, in fact, a fabulous place to stay IF, lots of children around is not a problem. The cost there is high enough that most of those staying utilize those large rooms. If you tavel with children, you can pack 6 into the place we stayed and get them fed at breakfast, steal lots of food (this was going on big time) for later and amortize the cost some.

The golf play looked fun (I have not played in years). The beach would be great in the summer. Ducks, swans, roos and other critters could be seen around the property.

The Hyatt hosts and sells various treks around the property and the area. There were also lots of pools which are likely kept up in Summer. There is a tennis center (we did not visit it.

Spa, shopping, fishing, archery, canoeing, etc round out the activities they provide. OH, yes and they have Camp Hyatt. Pizza night at the movies and other child oriented activities.

A real family resort. Not what we were looking for, but we enjoy most aspects of our stay but would not go back.

Old Oct 7, 2003, 6:45 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Dear ranles,

Thank you for your comments about Hyatt Regency Coolum. You are so correct in stating that this resort with its village setting surrounded by natural Australian bush and the Pacific Ocean and its excellent golf, spa and tennis facilities is much more than a hotel.

Please allow me to clarify a few points that you raised: the resort has four accommodation choices; one-bedroom Studio Suites, two-bedroom President Villas, two-bedroom Ambassador Villas and three-bedroom
Ambassador Residences. All of these choices are available to be booked by guests.

The resort features a unique ownership structure. Individuals can invest in a quarter share of a President or Ambassador Villa or Residence. These owners are entitled to certain benefits and preferential pricing as a result of their investment, but all resort guests are offered the same level of Hyatt service.

The resort does not operate a Regency Club. As a result Diamond Gold Passport holders are offered an upgrade in accommodation.

The Ambassadors area of the resort does offer breakfast and evening wine in the Ambassadors Lounge. In addition, guests staying in the six Ambassador Residences are permitted to drive one car up to their accommodation. These are the only guests who are permitted to drive.

As you have noted the Resort is a very popular family destination (especially during Australian school Holidays) and our childcare facilities are consistently recognised as the best in Australia. Children are more than welcome at the property and we have a fantastic activities schedule to keep them entertained and motivated.

We have shared your comments with the management team of the resort. Thank you again for your feedback,

Best regards,

Julia Moore
Gold Passport Internet Concierge
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:34 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
We stayed at Coolum as well and have to say, that the children there just behaved as children do, so nothing to comment about it. Personally we like the Hyatt at Sanctuary Cove better, but that is our taste.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 4:35 pm
Original Member

We liked our stay better at SC too, the mossies were easier to deal with that the kiddies. You can swat them when they bother you. It was the first hotel we had ever stayed at that had mosquito netting over the bed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.