Canada Tire management fee - ...?

Subscribe
I've just learned a new phrase, Tire Management Fee.

When I search for rental cars on http://www.autoeurope.eu in canada, and read the terms & conditions for an AVIS car, I see this line in the General Terms section:

"Tire Management Fee: Approximately CAD $2.60 - CAD $3.60 per day, paid locally , cost depends on the car category."

It's only mentioned with AVIS cars and only in Canada. The AVIS website does not mention or explain it..

But what is it? Is it an extra amount of money that I have to pay at pick-up, in addition to the rate announced on the Autoeurope site? Or is it somthing that is just included in the total price, like taxes and airport fees etc?

Or is it a fee if your tire is punctured or you need a change to winter tires?
I just contacted Autoeurope and they told me that when booking through their site, I would have to pay the tire management fee at pickup, in addition to their listed price.

Suddenly, the huge price gap between autoeurope's site and avis.ca (pay now rate) was filled with this extra fee... :-(

So I ended up just booking directly at avis.ca - but did a sign-up for Hyatt's gold pass thing, and saved 11% when entering the code :-)