SAS
Singapore
South African Airways
Swiss
TAM
Turkish
United
USAirways
What happens if you have an itinerary that mixes carriers that have YQ with those that don't?

In my case, it would by a mix of SQ and OZ?
Quote: What happens if you have an itinerary that mixes carriers that have YQ with those that don't?

In my case, it would by a mix of SQ and OZ?
Charged on those segments where applicable.
Quote: Charged on those segments where applicable.
Um.. nope. Charge YQ on origin to destination for some (TG flights seem to do this a lot).
Quote: Charged on those segments where applicable.
nope. Air Canada has taken scamming to a whole new level (sometimes)

For example YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ is charged YQ for YYZ-AKL instead of just YYZ-NRT for the AC segment, which is lower
Quote: Um.. nope. Charge YQ on origin to destination for some (TG flights seem to do this a lot).
Quote: nope. Air Canada has taken scamming to a whole new level (sometimes)

For example YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ is charged YQ for YYZ-AKL instead of just YYZ-NRT for the AC segment, which is lower
So is it worth putting in the time to try and find YQ-less flights? I HAVE to use AC on an award to connect here in Canada.

Is it worth the time to try and minimize YQ or should I just accept it and find the flights that are the most convenient?
Quote: So is it worth putting in the time to try and find YQ-less flights? I HAVE to use AC on an award to connect here in Canada.

Is it worth the time to try and minimize YQ or should I just accept it and find the flights that are the most convenient?
It depends? on how much you value $ vs. convenience/time

Personally I'd always try for no-YQ options first
then some YQ
then worst case all-YQ airlines (but if that's the case I'd just buy the flight instead of redeeming)
Quote: So is it worth putting in the time to try and find YQ-less flights? I HAVE to use AC on an award to connect here in Canada.

No. I would take the most convenient, most direct way.

Time is money too. Trying to save a few dollars (or a few hundred dollars) but taking a lot of unnecessary connections and/or crappy UA flights is not worth it in my books.
Quote: No. I would take the most convenient, most direct way.

Time is money too. Trying to save a few dollars (or a few hundred dollars) but taking a lot of unnecessary connections and/or crappy UA flights is not worth it in my books.
Actually avoiding crappy AC longhaul and saving money at the same time is a double win!

I purposely got ANA to reroute me last minute NRT-ORD-YYZ on NH/UA from codeshare AC metal, just to avoid crappy AC longhaul on a recent paid J ticket.

It is. Your short connectors on AC will not attract YQ in most cases - and at most $27. Its a bearable cost. The difference is in the longhauls.

Why take AC/LH/OS longhaul to Europe for $1000 in fees, especially slopey LH seats, when one can do LO for 1/3 of YQ on a 787, or UA/US/SK/SN/TK without YQ.
I guess we should add BR (EVA) to the list that do not charge YQ... at least for now.
Quote: nope. Air Canada has taken scamming to a whole new level (sometimes)

How ironic I just got caught in this exact scenario for $1080 for one J ticket.
Quote: Charged when flying on:
Adria
Air Canada
ANA
Asiana
Austrian
LOT Polish
Lufthansa
TAP Portugal
Thai

NOT charged when flying on:
Aegean
Air China
Air New Zealand
Avianca/TACA
Brussels
Copa
Croatia
EgyptAir
Ethiopian
SAS
Singapore
South African Airways
Swiss
TAM
Turkish
United
USAirways
I have read post#19 suggesting that booking on SN one will be charged the fuel surcharge, but you say that this is not the case.

I ask, because I am planning a trip for my family and myself for 2 weeks during March, where we go to IST and DXB. Fuel Surcharge may be a component of the decision making process - I have no issues going via USA (now that we have nexus/GE).

At least one ticket will be paid business class (ie me). So, from a class of bonus point of view, that limits the options to AC or now LX (non P class). If we take the surcharges into account, that limits the international component to LX or TK.
Quote: I have read post#19 suggesting that booking on SN one will be charged the fuel surcharge, but you say that this is not the case.

I ask, because I am planning a trip for my family and myself for 2 weeks during March, where we go to IST and DXB. Fuel Surcharge may be a component of the decision making process - I have no issues going via USA (now that we have nexus/GE).

At least one ticket will be paid business class (ie me). So, from a class of bonus point of view, that limits the options to AC or now LX (non P class). If we take the surcharges into account, that limits the international component to LX or TK.
SN has YQ, sadly

Quote:
As per AE site:

"With the increasing cost of fuel, many airlines have started charging fuel surcharges on redemption tickets. All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier. Fuel surcharge amounts are determined by each airline and may change from time to time. Aeroplan has applied fuel surcharges for flight rewards on Air Canada since 2004. The fuel surcharge amounts to be applied by Aeroplan for flights on Star Alliance airlines will be the same as those applied by the individual airlines within their own frequent flyer programs.

Fuel surcharges applied to flight rewards on the following Star Alliance airlines will be effective as of January 18th, 2012: Adria Airways, Brussels and TAP Portugal.

These are in addition to fuel surcharges applied to flight rewards on Lufthansa that became effective on November 9th, 2011 as well as: ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines and THAI that came into effect on November 30th, 2011.