Travelpro warranty - Is this a defect or wear?

Subscribe
I have a travelpro crew 3 that has developed a problem with the retractable handle mechanism. It takes just the right press at the correct spot on the button to open the handle. To close it it takes the same finesse on the button along with banging the bag a couple times. Suffice it to say that this is a bit awkward on the jetway or in the aisle.

I took it in to an authorized repair shop (not that far out of my way), and the shop keeper said basically:
1) if it works at all, it isn't covered by warranty.
2) anyway, in a bag this old there can't be a defect. Since normal life for a bag like this might be 5 or 7 years, by now there is no life left in the lifetime warranty.

He then offered to repair it for $45, assuming he could find a part that fits.

Is that reasonable characterization of what the warranty is supposed to cover?
I purchased the Travelpro Crew 7 to replace a Travelpro Crew 6. By moving the suit holder to the upper expandable shell, you get more space in the lower cavity. The 22" is the perfect size whether you carry on or check your bag. The handle is solid, pulls and retracts easily and completely disappears. Rolls smoothly. Zippers are improved for better grip. I'm very satisfied with this case.
Quote: Is that reasonable characterization of what the warranty is supposed to cover?
Here is the Travelpro warranty info:
http://travelpro.com/pdf/Warranty_Info.pdf
http://travelpro.com/warranty.cfm
Quote: I have a travelpro crew 3 that has developed a problem with the retractable handle mechanism. It takes just the right press at the correct spot on the button to open the handle. To close it it takes the same finesse on the button along with banging the bag a couple times. Suffice it to say that this is a bit awkward on the jetway or in the aisle.

I took it in to an authorized repair shop (not that far out of my way), and the shop keeper said basically:
1) if it works at all, it isn't covered by warranty.
2) anyway, in a bag this old there can't be a defect. Since normal life for a bag like this might be 5 or 7 years, by now there is no life left in the lifetime warranty.

He then offered to repair it for $45, assuming he could find a part that fits.

Is that reasonable characterization of what the warranty is supposed to cover?
Did you call Travelpro Customer Service? Let them know you are from Flyertalk.

(800) 741-7471 M-F 8:30 AM-5:00 PM
Quote: Did you call Travelpro Customer Service? Let them know you are from Flyertalk.

(800) 741-7471 M-F 8:30 AM-5:00 PM
(I sent this as a PM, but without response. I'm happy to communicate off the forum if Travelpro Luggage prefers.)

I did not call, but I did email, prior to the posting by Travelpro Luggage, though without any mention that I post on flyertalk.

Here's the response I received:

Quote:
I am sorry you are having a problem with your bag. I believe what the repair shop was trying to say, is that your handle is likely just suffering from wear. Typically a defect in workmanship will show itself within the first year of use. That is especially true with moving parts.

These moving parts require maintenance repairs after so many years of use.

Best regards,

Jackie Peterman
Authorized Repair Center Manager
Travelpro International, Inc.
700 Banyan Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33431
T 561-998-2824 EXT:637
F
[email protected]
www.travelpro.com
[QUOTE=oshelef;18583640]

Quote:
I am sorry you are having a problem with your bag. I believe what the repair shop was trying to say, is that your handle is likely just suffering from wear. Typically a defect in workmanship will show itself within the first year of use. That is especially true with moving parts.

Best regards,

Jackie Peterman
In other words, they're not gonna fix this under their "lifetime" warranty... I guess in their eyes, "lifetime" means "the expected lifetime of the bag, not the lifetime of the bag's owner."
Quote:
The funny thing about "so many years of use" is that the bag has been hardly used the last few years (partly because of the handle issue). Probably about one round trip a year for the last 3.

Either way, I'd like to see the recommended "maintenance" schedule. And this didn't seem like maintenance: The repair gent said that the whole assembly would need to be replaced and that the correct replacement parts are no longer available, so that he'd have to find a part that fit from a more recent product.
One more point of evidence of TravelPros continued downhill slide. So much for standing behind their products.
As a point of reference
I had two B&R bags that needed repair a few months ago. One was purchased in the mid to late 90s I believe, maybe 94-98 or so. Most probably around 96. The other was about 2000. The older bag had had the zipper pulls cut off by the TSA near as I could tell. It also had a place on the corner of the top piece (the thin piece that lifts up when it is opened) where the fabric had pulled away from the frame. The newer one had one half of the two pieces of the expandable handle break. When I talked to them to enter the repair order I told them the color and the rep started laughing. She said that was "really old" and it had been discontinued.

They fixed both bags like new for no charge.
Quote: (I sent this as a PM, but without response. I'm happy to communicate off the forum if Travelpro Luggage prefers.)

I did not call, but I did email, prior to the posting by Travelpro Luggage, though without any mention that I post on flyertalk.

If you would email me your phone number at [email protected], I will have someone from Customer Service contact you regarding this.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
Quote: One more point of evidence of TravelPros continued downhill slide. So much for standing behind their products.
CApreppie:

For obvious reasons, I can not really provide you the hard data on your claim. What I can tell you is that we vigorously track warranty claims for quality assurance. Over the past 4 years, our internal numbers show the opposite is occurring. Quality is up with fewer warranty claims on significantly higher sales volume.

If there is an industry source to support your claims, we are very much open to hearing about it. You can email me directly at [email protected] with the information.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
I have a TravelPro Platinum duffel back I purchased back in the mid-90's
that has been tossed about a good bit regularly.

That bag still looks new, has never broken and was a great purchase.

I attribute much of that to the fact that there are no mechanical
moving parts on the bag such as wheels / handle mechanisms that
are naturally more prone to failure than a bag without.
Just want to say that it's great that a TravelPro rep is actively helping FT'ers with their warranty issues. ^
Quote: Just want to say that it's great that a TravelPro rep is actively helping FT'ers with their warranty issues. ^
I agree!

I heard back from travelpro customer service, who intends to contact the service center I brought it to. I'll continue to post updates but reserve any comments about the general service until I see what happens here.
Heard back?
Has the OP heard anything back from Travelpro?

I had the handle pull out of the frame on my original Platinum Rollaboard this week, and customer service (2 calls) gave me different information between the reps - and the info also differed from what's on the website. Bottom line is that they use a cheap plastic clip to hold the handle sections together and that split - not something I'd consider a wear item.

I contacted Paul Lawrence ([email protected]) last Tues, but haven't heard anything back? Has anyone else had success with the TP warranty on an older bag?