Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 8, 2002, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold

What did you receive as a diamond on a reward stay in Carmel ?
Old Feb 15, 2002, 9:46 pm

Highlands Inn???

If so-- Count on top notch service and a nice room (upgrade is not really necessary but if occupancy is low you will get one).

They rolled out the Red Carpet for us on our award stay there about 16 months ago. 3 nights of Beauty for FREE. Upgrade, Diamond Amenities (more than 1) and a message from the GM (that was for real) to make anything happen.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 5:01 am

The couple times I was there I got a nice upgrade to a "ocean front jacuzi(?) suite), but only stayed 1 or 2 nights. The longer your stay, the less change for a "super" upgrade, and the hotel has either blocked the room, or will keep it open for revenue.

Amenities are standard Hyatt, nothing "oohh and aawww" about. If you call 1-800-checkin, they can help in securing a nice room upgrade.

Good luck, and enjoy one of my favorite hotels. Be sure to use the fire place each night!
Old Feb 26, 2002, 4:31 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Just a follow-up for those who wish to know.
Stayed this past weekend. As P given an
upgrade on both rooms to "full" ocean view
suites. Of course you have a number of
trees before that "full" ocean view. Amenity
given on both rooms. On room had somes
issues. Other room perfect. Not changed
much since last there as Highlands Inn only
before Park Hyatt markings appeared. Staff
pleasant and efficient. Spoke with rooms
exec. and he says rooms going under
renovation which should be completed for all
rooms by June/July. Update of kitchens and
furniture / color schemes. FYI
Old Apr 7, 2002, 12:07 am

Hi there,
I just finished a stay in the Carmel Park Hyatt (free nights earned in the Faster Free Nights Promotion). It was rather disappointing. It seems that the hotel (which is undergoing significant renovation) currently consists of two areas: a five-star part with renovated nice rooms, and a more-or-less three star part with old rooms. My wife and I (=only Platinum member) were put into an old room. The room had the charme of a "Motel 6"-room - except for the fantastic view of the Pacific from the balcony, of course! The bathroom looked as if it had not been renovated for the last 40 years or so. Even worse, there was a fouly smell from the sink in the bathroom. We were put into a different room when we informed the front desk about the smell, but only after complaining twice.
Since it was an award stay, I was only surprised about the lack of Park-Hyatt-quality in the old part of the hotel (admittedly, the rooms in the renovated part looked really nice). If I had paid the going rate of $200 and more for a room, I would have been shocked about the product!
Old Apr 7, 2002, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

We finished our award stay this thursday - had called before to upgrade to a spa suite with US$80 extra) - got a newly renovated one and due to the original room not being ready got upgraded to a full ocean view - really nice hotel. Fireplace, double spa bath and a fully equipped kitchen.
Old Apr 8, 2002, 3:45 pm

tinkybelle: Had the same problem. The website says it is not available. But when I called Goldpassport directly (it was less than 7 days left before our stay) they offered me the Highlands Inn (I had actually asked for the Hyatt Regency Monterey not expecting Carmel to be admissible).

peter42: We checked out of the hotel this Friday. I agree the renovated suites are really nice. My wife and I had one of those last summer for one night (room number 320 or so, furthest up the hill). Was a Diamond member in those days, now a miserly Platinum only. Enjoyed the jacuzzi. The more disappointed we were about the non-renovated rooms!
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gld 1MM, HH Gold
Stayed there in November - got nice suites with full ocean views upgrade from partial views in the rate. All that I could see had balconies with great views. Not sure what the townhouse option is, tho those might be the things on the lower levels near the pool - not such good views.
The staff were nice but clueless about the GP program and they tried to stiff me for the points because I only had a $199 rate from the website - looks like GP will sort me out but still. Also - make sure you get the GP2000 if you are there on a weekday (not available weekends).
I personally liked the suites - spa bath/balcony/views/wood fire etc. They also have a full kitchen should you want to cook something up yourself!

Cheers,
The Cap'n
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:15 pm

We have stayed at Highlands Inn many times, including last August (post renovations). The townhouses and suites do have the same basic features. The townhouses are two level, with a living room and kitchen and shower/bath on either the upper or lower level and the bedroom, spa bath and separate shower on the other level. The configuration depends on the elevation. The suites are all on one level with sliding dividers between the function areas.

We prefer the townhouses that are numbered 501-508. They have unobstructed views overlooking the pool area and on to the Pacific and are closest to lodge and restaurants. You can use valet parking at the lobby and conveniently walk to the rooms.

Very impressed with the renovations and decor. Desperately needed. Have been staying at Highlands Inn since late 1970's.

Hope you enjoy your stay. One of the most beautiful places on the Pacific.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Capprexy1947:
One of the most beautiful places on the Pacific.</font>
You must not have visited Oregon or Washington state. Highlands Inn is pretty good, though (but I still like Ventana better). Or Mendocino, but that is a different story. Thank you for your description of the townhouses (I have never stayed in one), that summed it up perfectly. Presumably Park Hyatt will run this property to top-notch standards.

Old Feb 13, 2003, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Last April we received a one level upgrade and a nice cheese platter + split of sparkling wine.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 6:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Search and you shall find. It has been extensively discussed before. In a nutshell, great hotel (as it was before becoming a Park Hyatt) and minor upgrades as a diamond but all rooms are so similar (and good) that there isn't much to upgrade to. Now if they could guarantee good weather during diamond days ....
Old Mar 18, 2003, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I don't believe it's true that all rooms are similar and good. Some rooms have no or limited view. Some rooms have a great ocean view. Some rooms are subject to noise from Highway 1 directly below them. I'm not sure that all rooms have the large jacuzzi in them.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:37 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Stayed here on 3/16 using FFN award. As Diamond, phoned 1-800-CHECKIN at 2:30 pm Sunday and was upgraded to "townhouse suite," a two-storey affair with jacuzzi downstairs, very nice. Upgrade possible only because I wouldn't be arriving until 5:00 pm, when the room would be vacated and cleaned. Enjoyed a fine view (Room 507; 501-508 seem the best, most spacious units with private balconies, great ocean view and away from busy Highway 1). Many units have no view, and some have balconies that anyone can access.

Service can be spotty, especially for a Park Hyatt: no one at reception when I arrived! Also, room service from the California Market Restaurant, the second-tier dining establishment at the hotel, was a disappointment. Had to remind them to deliver the Diamond amenity. For dinner, very expensive swordfish was thin and served in a sickly tomato-y paste. Breakfast the next morning, a frittata, was overcooked, and the waiter virtually demanded a tip. A good roadhouse on Highway 1 would have done better.

Two distintive items at this property are the free loaner binoculars in each room, and free loaner mountain bikes. I availed myself of both to visit nearby Point Lobos with its aboundant sea otters and seals.

Indeed, the big problem is getting around to checking out, after extending the checkout time until the maid forces her way into the room!

[This message has been edited by Explore (edited 03-21-2003).]
Old May 7, 2003, 12:08 am

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
Fabulous Park Hyatt Highland Inn at Carmel

Hi all

Just returned from a 2 day stay at the Highland Inn using my FFNights and the place is just fabulous!

Was given unit/room 508--with breathtaking views of the ocean. This is a 2 story townhouse type unit with upstairs equipped with sofa bed, TV, dining table, kitchenette with Microwave, dishwasher, oven, refrigerator,etc and a full bath. There is a balcony where u can sit and take in the view-oh yes also a fireplace.
The bedroom is downstairs-very luxurious, comfortable bed-a lot like the Westin Heavenly Bed. Huge bathroom with equally large Jacuzzi. Daily eveining turndown service...Very discreet courteous staff.

One of the best Hyatt stays I have had. Have pictures of views from room. Will try to post link
kelly786

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.