Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to Harbour View International Hotel (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM 10:30AM Monday Friday & 7AM 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:53 pm
Uli
Original Poster

Hi,

I have received this as an answer to an e-mail from Grand HYA HKG:

Dear Mr. Uli,
Yes you have chose the right Hotel. We are the best in Hong Kong
or may be in Asia. We are looking forward to serve you.
Best Regards
Grand Hyatt/Hong Kong

I find this to ultra-self-confident
Old Mar 2, 2002, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Yes, very confident, indeed.

But they have every reason to be - this is an excellent property in every way. Have a great stay.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 3:02 pm
Uli
Original Poster

Have just returned from there. Was nice, but not as nice as the PEN, IMO
Old Mar 2, 2002, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
I have stayed at both G.Hyatt and PEN, and find it depends on what you want to do. G.Hyatt has better resources to arrange for business meeting needs (especially for Diamond members, the staff will do wonders for your catering and dining needs as you try to close a deal). PEN's attention to personal comfort appeals to people who are used to the "service of grand old hotels of Europe"

Old Mar 2, 2002, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Wow, "best hotel in Asia"?? Not sure about that, but it is a fabulous property-- gorgeous facility and rooms, and a great staff that goes out of their way to make you feel at home.

Not sure if it's the best hotel in Asia but it's definitely a crown jewel among Hyatt's city hotels.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
I believe G.Hyatt won the "best business hotel in Asia recognition" from Conde Nast or Travel&Leisure magazine a couple of years ago.

But it is a stretch to say "best hotel in Asia" b/c so many nicer ones like non-Hyatt in Bali and Bangkok, and Park Hyatt Tokyo.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Although we don't know the context in which these sentences were used I must say that they are completely right! It is firstly the most beautiful city hotel I know. Marvelous lobby, great rooms and wonderful pool area on 11th floor. Add nice restaurants and wonderful service and you get what they call the best hotel in Asia. I've stayed at many others in HK and although everyone says that the Mandarin Oriental or the Peninsula are musts in HK I was disappointed in both of these.

Muerz
Old Mar 3, 2002, 7:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Muerz:
I've stayed at many others in HK and although everyone says that the Mandarin Oriental or the Peninsula are musts in HK I was disappointed in both of these.</font>
Have you tried the Island Shangri-La? I had a fabulous stay there on my last Hong Kong trip. I've not yet stayed at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, but will definitely try to stay there on my next visit to that fine city.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
i like this hotel so much i couldn't stay somewhere else in hong kong. i would actually feel pretty bad about staying anywhere else. it's weird -- this may be the only hotel i feel this way about.
Old Mar 4, 2002, 11:54 am
Uli
Original Poster

dont get me wrong:

i very much appreciated the view, the executive suite upgrade (6000 points only), the friendly room service, excellent room service food quality (ask for the menu of the GRISSINI restaurant to be brought to the room) and the very good DVD selection.

I visited the RC which was INCREDIBLE. unfortunately I am not Diamond an was not able to use it (just booked a standard room and used a suite upgrade).

If they speak about the "best hotel in Asia" I dont refuse; I just mean it not so crystal-clear as they might think. Besides the hotels already mentioned above, I also LOVE the hyatt regency in Taipeh (in the renovated floors).
Old Mar 9, 2002, 1:49 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
I have stayed there at least 15 times over the last 18 months.

The amenities are good, service is patchy.
Compared to the Hyatts in Tokyo their service level is a 6+ out of ten. Compared to most Hk hotels it is a 8.

Unfortunately (for the traveller) their location next to the Convention centre virtually guarantees them business .

Evan as a Diamond, even with the monthly stays, I haver yet to feel that I am anything special.
I am now paying less than half and staying at the Excelsior . Rooms are nowhere as nice, but the service is way better. And the gym is less crowded.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 4:55 am

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong kudos

Just a short post to say that we just returned from this property and our treatment here was second to none.

I booked two Regency club awards for this stay. We were instantly upgraded to two small-sized harbor view rooms on the 33rd floor by the concierge level manager at the 30th floor club level check in desk.

Though these were the smallest rooms of our Asia trip, these were the rooms my family liked the best. If you've never been there, the harbor view rooms seem like they are actually floating on the harbor, and offer a view of the harbor, Hong Kong and Kowloon, so there's always something interesting to look at out the window.

Our treatment at this property was second to none, and we stayed at some very nice properties in Asia. Kudos to the staff, duty managers that helped with my wife's need for a doctor, the concierge level management and staff and the entire hotel for a great stay.

-David

Old Apr 1, 2002, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I couldn't agree with you more! I just checked out of this hotel where I was staying on a reduced but guaranteed harbor view rate. As a Diamond, I was upgraded to the 'keyed' 25th floor with full lounge access. Yes, the room was on the smallish size, but (to my taste) beautifully furnished in a modern/Park Hyatt type decor. The view from my room took in both Hong Kong as well as Victoria Harbor and over to Kowloon. I was able to check in very early (9:15am) and the staff couldn't have been nicer. The only 'beef' I have is about the Hyatt Diamond amenity. There was none in my room and when I called down to ask, I was told that the 2 pieces of fruit (which had been there for however long--I don't know) were the amenity. Upon checking out the desk agent suggested I take their car service to the airport (HK$120)-- as I had a return on the Airport Express I declined, but in actuality it would have been just about the same amount (train HK$100 + 16 cab fare to station). So next time I will take his suggestion. I must also comment on the wonderful Club/Lounge--the food for both breakfast and cocktails was fantastic! Far beyond the usual cheese, crackers and 'hot' hors d'ouerves usually found
Old Apr 1, 2002, 11:21 pm

We didn't receive any specific ammenity either, but there was fresh fruit in the room every day. I guess I just considered the upgrade to the view rooms to be a wonderful ammenity on our award stay. (On this trip, the St. Regis Beijing won the award for best ammenity .. full bottle of French wine, huge fruit basket and candies waiting in our room upon arrival.)

We also used the airport express, even though it was more expensive than other modes of transportation for our family of four (and we also needed two taxis in between the hotel and airport express station for our luggage and us) but the integration and planning that went into the airport express is not to be missed. Simply incredible.

-David
Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:34 pm

i've said it many times on this forum, and david, as much as i adore the hyatt in kauai, the grand hyatt hong kong is tops...

i've been there many times on my own, with friends, and with my family, and i and everyone i've been with has been amazed at the hospitality level of this hotel.

the rooms are very stylish and not that small for asia. they always treat me so graciously as well. i always get that fabulous view over the harbor, and up to the peak, and free rc access on paid and award stays (with perhaps the best hotel lounge i've seen -- ida in the club is particularly helpful for tips on navigating hong kong...).

i had a conversation with a senior hyatt exec recently and he said that in his estimation, this was one of the best run hotels, if not THE best run hotel in the chain. they're very proud of this hotel.

many on ft swear by the peninsula, or the mandarin, or the ic, but i will not stay anywhere else in hong kong.

as for the diamond amenity, i've never been offered an amenity outside of the u.s. now that i think of it--at one point, i think i saw that the diamond amenity was a us feature, but that's not on the website now. the way this particular hotel treats me, to tell the truth, i could not care less about the amenity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.