Overnight trip

Subscribe
Say you are flying overseas on an 8 or more hour trip. " Bedtime" comes . What do you do to prepare for sleeping on an airplane. And do you really sleep?
*I fly coach - sometimes economy plus or premium voyageur*

After takeoff, I take off my shoes and put slippers on. If it's a longer flight, I might take a sleeping pill before I eat. After dinner, I use a makeup cloth to remove makeup, put on heavier moisturizer, lip balm, hand lotion. Eyeshade, hopefully some sleep.

If I have time in the airport, I'll prep in the ladies room - single use toothbrush, facial wipe, moisturizer, lip balm, brush hair/put in ponytail or french twist, etc.
Quote: Say you are flying overseas on an 8 or more hour trip. " Bedtime" comes . What do you do to prepare for sleeping on an airplane. And do you really sleep?

No I do not, I may catnap but I don't sleep on planes, it is just how I am wired. I actually find it works to my advantage going to the UK. I usually take the evening direct flight out DFW to London, less than 9 hours and get there mid-morning the next day. I get to my hotel, dump my bags and take off on my first day. I usually fall asleep early that evening on UK time. I read, watch movies, play games and watch videos to pass the time on the flight.
I try my best to sleep, but usually can't get anything that actually rests my system. To prepare, I don't really do anything. Sometimes I'll take a tylenol PM, but that's about it. I tried a neck pillow on my last overnight flight, but I found it didn't help too much. Maybe mine is just a bad pillow!

The weird thing is that I fall asleep on the bus on my daily commute all the time, and sometimes it really helps to have that powernap. But I can never get a restful sleep like that on a plane.
I can sleep better on flights than at home. Ridiculous! I wear comfortable clothing and don't change into jammies even when in first class. I'm too small for the ones they offer.

I always travel with my own eye shades and a scarf or knit hat to keep my head warm. I think that helps.
I try to rest but I never sleep. I sometimes take a Benadryl (pretty much the same as Tylenol PM) early in the flight, but it still doesn't put me to sleep. I don't fall asleep very easily even at home. My head also tends to fall forward if I start to doze. I know they have a pillow for that, but it looks too much like a neck brace to me.

I'm usually in coach, which probably doesn't help. I take out my down travel pillow, and put in earplugs or listen to music, but that's about the extent of "readying" myself to rest. I wear just a little makeup on the plane, and I don't remove it during the flight.
Quote: Say you are flying overseas on an 8 or more hour trip. " Bedtime" comes . What do you do to prepare for sleeping on an airplane. And do you really sleep?
Short answer to that is no, I don't sleep. I try to sleep, even up front, but I haven't been able to do so for a long period of time. I wish I could. If I can be in a seat by a window, that helps. If I can get on a later flight, that helps. Maybe I'll sleep for 2-3 hours...if I'm lucky. I keep my purse between me and my seat and put the strap around my arm. Shoes are off, socks are on.

The best flights are the flights to London in which we leave in the morning from JFK and arrive in the evening at LHR or LGW. Then I am awake for the flight and arrive in time to go to the hotel to sleep. That makes jetlag almost non-existent for me.
Yes daytime flights to London are great
Wish more flights were daytime to Europe
Wonder why night flights? No One I know enjoys the overnights
I also can only get 2 or 3hours at most even in first. But overnight coach is awful on my back
Quote: Yes daytime flights to London are great
Wish more flights were daytime to Europe
Wonder why night flights?
Why? Because airlines can quickly turn around an aircraft going to Europe if it arrives in the morning. If it arrives at night, the plane doesn't take off again until the next morning. That's why you see so few flight leaving for Europe early in the morning from New York.
Just landed after a 14 hour flight. I always change clothes, out of my travel attire and into black yoga pants and a tank with a warm pullover or jumper. After washing up, I put in earplugs or ipod, eyemask, and sometimes take a Lunesta. I can sometimes get 8 hours in if I commit to it. I change back to my travel clothes when I land. I do this routine whether in coach or business. When I traveled to Europe frequently it was much harder because the flights are so short. Either way with this routine I feel like I have had a night's sleep even if I only get 4 hours in.
I too find it extremely difficult to sleep on an airplane.

Noise canceling earphones, classical or New Age music, eye mask, comfortable clothes, and a hoodie sweatshirt all help, but what would help the most is not being in those damned uncomfortable Y seats.

One TATL flight I took a particularly strong sleeping pill & was able to get about 5 hours sleep, but normally I'm lucky to get 3 hours. I try to build some extra time into my itinerary to compensate.
After dinner, I have a lavender chamomile tea to relax, then I go to the lavatory, brush my teeth, remove my make-up, etc. Back in my seat, I remove my shoes or boots and get into the sockies, moisturize my face and put on lip balm and heavy duty hand cream. Get assistance putting the seat into bed mode, if it has not been done yet. I listen to music or watch some familiar movie or TV show to relax as I snuggle under the covers. I find the hum of the plane strangely relaxing. I'm weird that way. I usually fall asleep pretty quickly.

When I am awakened, I eat breakfast, go to the lav, brush my teeth, etc., go back to my seat, moisturize, put on a little make-up, brush out my hair, and get my shoes back on.
Quote: I always change clothes, out of my travel attire and into black yoga pants and a tank with a warm pullover or jumper. After washing up, I put in earplugs or ipod, eyemask
Quote: I change back to my travel clothes when I land. I do this routine whether in coach or business.
I do almost the exact same thing. I do the yoga pants and typically a black t-shirt -- comfortable, but still acceptable to wear in public. However, I typically don't have much luck getting a lot of sleep on planes, but at least I am comfortable and able to relax a bit.
I usually wear a sweater along with jeans and my boots and whatnots (exactly same outfit like when I take a day flight), and I do not have makeup nor contact lenses on when I'm getting ready to fly. I usually have my pillow blown up and my earphones in from watching a show or listening to some music.

When I decide to sleep, I just kind of... close my eyes? No routine to be honest; I could easily stay awake if I want to. I'm just rather good with sleeping anywhere.

When I wake up, I brush my teeth and put on my contact lenses and stretch a bit. Makeup is not always something I bother with.
I find that it helps if I keep as close to my usual routine as possible - brushing teeth, removing contacts + makeup etc just before I sleep. Even if I'm wearing no makeup, the simple act of washing my face with warm water helps put me in a better mood to sleep. I read somewhere that if you keep to a pre-sleep routine daily, it's easier to fall asleep since your body and mind are accustomed to that ritual.

I try not to take any pills, because I want to be able to wake up easily and be alert in case anything happens.

I've managed to sleep at least 80% of flights that way.