Which carryon: Tumi presidio park, or Briggs and Riley transcend?

Subscribe
Hi, I'm looking for a good carry-on bag, that will fit comfortably into overhead bins (United's 22 x 14 x 9 is probably a good guideline for me), and into which I can pack a lot. It's a challenge for me to not check bags, so I want maximum space.

Also want something durable.

I've been thinking about these two bags:

Tumi T-Tech Presidio Park International Business Carry-On

versus

Briggs & Riley Transcend 200 22" Carry-On Exp Upright

They both seem similar, just under the size limit I specified, about same price, reputed to be durable.

One issue I have with B&R is that the frame for the handle is on the outside of the bag. Doesn't this wind up wasting space that could be on the inside of the bag? T-shirts, socks, etc., all fit quite nicely around the inside-the-bag tracks on my Andiamo bags.

Anyone have experience with either of these bags?
I have the B&R 22" and 18". They have a pocket in the back between the handles that will hold an umbrella, so you don't lose all of the space. It's kind of nice to be able to pack flat on the bottom of the bag versus looking for stuff to put in there so the bottom layer will be flat. I wish the suiter would come out of the lid, since I often don't need it. The mesh pocket on the front is a nice for stuffing in things that I want on the plane, such as newspapers and lunch. You can unclip it and fold it away in its own pocket if you don't need it or are checking the bag. The quality is very good and you can't beat the warranty.
Thanks for the feedback. Have you ever had problems stuffing it in an overhead bin?
The 22" fit on a Southwest 737, but I found myself using the 18" a lot more, since it holds almost as much and is easier to move through the airport. Lately, I've been condemned to fly in little commuter jets for at least one leg of each trip and am using a large backpack and little wheeled cabin tote. The backpack holds everything the 22" holds and squeezes in to much smaller places. It's very nice to not have to gate check.
Quote: The 22" fit on a Southwest 737, but I found myself using the 18" a lot more, since it holds almost as much and is easier to move through the airport. Lately, I've been condemned to fly in little commuter jets for at least one leg of each trip and am using a large backpack and little wheeled cabin tote. The backpack holds everything the 22" holds and squeezes in to much smaller places. It's very nice to not have to gate check.
So the 22" wouldnt fit in the overhead bin of the little commuter plane? Would the 18"?
Quote: So the 22" wouldnt fit in the overhead bin of the little commuter plane? Would the 18"?
Maybe, but good luck getting a GA or FA to let you try. They've seen too many flights held up by people who couldn't manage to stuff luggage into the tiny bins. These days it seems like they gate check everything with wheels. I carry my little wheeled cabin tote on to the airplane and no one has said anything to me.
Voyageur Super Leger International Carry-On 20.5"

I have this bag and I love it. It fits in a CRJ and ERJ overhead easily. It is super lightweight and holds a lot because it doesn't have all that padding.
Quote: Maybe, but good luck getting a GA or FA to let you try. They've seen too many flights held up by people who couldn't manage to stuff luggage into the tiny bins. These days it seems like they gate check everything with wheels. I carry my little wheeled cabin tote on to the airplane and no one has said anything to me.
True about gate checking anything with wheels... I was on a united commuter plane flight recently, chagrined to say I can't remember from/to where, and the gate agent was expressly saying "Anything with wheels, we'll give you a red tag and check it at the gate.... Any carryon luggage with wheels needs to be gate checked... " etc...
I have the original version of the B&R Transcend 22" TU122X. I've had good luck putting it overhead (wheels out) on A319/A320 and 737 operated by US and UA. Its very tight though. If the bag wasn't semi-soft it wouldn't work, so there's usually some squishing involved. Sideways is no problem, but I hate to be "that guy."

I thought I would miss the stash space around the internal handle bump, but it hasn't been an issue.

A hint to the savvy shopper, I've seen these Briggs and Riley bags pop up at Nordstrom Rack locations at a serious discount. I got my Transcend 22" carryon there, as well as a Transcend 30" Rolling duffel, and my wife's rolling garment bag (not sure which line).