Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2000, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver

Any one have any recent experience at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe? Is there another high-end hotel in the hotel zone that you would recommend over this property?
Old Nov 8, 2000, 6:42 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I was there at March, and I fail to see why it is rated so high. Yes there are some nice villas on the beach, but you don't get those. The rooms are old and the baths are WELL worn with a lot of silly putty holding them together.
I actually like the other Hyatt better, but no big deal. It appears to have been renovated more recently. More drinking youngsters stay around those two places. The better grades of hotels are toward the South end.

[This message has been edited by ROADRUNNER (edited 11-09-2000).]
Old Nov 8, 2000, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
I have stayed at the Caribe twice this year and truly loved it. The villas are part of the Regency Club - I would recommend them.

The RC villas are on one side of the resort with the RC building no more than a one or two minute walk away. I believe the website has pictures of the rooms. I have stayed in both the RC room and suite. However, what is best about the villas is that there is a private pool infront of the RC that was always empty when I was there. There is also a small deck area around the pool that overlooks the ocean. The villas are right on the beach, on a raised stone cliff, so to say.There is private beach access from the villas.

I should probably warn you that if you are looking for the typical party atmosphere of Cancun, you would probably be more interested in the other Hyatt. The Caribe, especially the RC area, is very calm and quiet.

I plan to go back there again in Winter 2001. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 8, 2000, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
Whoops! Forgot to add . . .

I know there is either a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton on Cancun (can't remember which) that has gotten fabulous reviews from people who have stayed there.
Old Nov 9, 2000, 8:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Roadrunner, you confirmed my fears.

MoonPet, the Ritz apparently gets high marks, and I have considered it as well. Anyone?
Old Nov 9, 2000, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Both the Ritz-Carlton and even the Marriott next door are better than the Hyatt Regency at the north end. I have never stayed at the Cancun Caribe, but have stayed at the three above and would not return to the Hyatt.
Old Mar 20, 2001, 10:28 pm

Cancun... Regency or Cribe

I'm planning a trip to Cancun in the near future. Which property would flyertalk members recommend?
Old Mar 21, 2001, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Depends on your level of privacy and access to the beach that you seek.

The Hyatt is well situated in the nightlife area of Cancun know as the "top of the seven". Wild and crazy and the perfect place if you are looking for action and want to walk everywhere.
The Carib is more of a luxury hide away.
The Hyatt is ocean front but you have to walk down the cliff to the beach. The Carib is directly on the beach.

Bottom line- If you go with your significant other- Carib. If you are going for Spring Break- Hyatt.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Mar 22, 2001, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
worldbanker has it pretty much right. I will only add that about 10 years ago we checked out of the Hyatt Regency when we were sitting at the pool and it lost the sun to the shadow of a nearby hotel in midafternoon, our favorite time of day for beach and pool.
The Cancun Caribe has pretty villas down near the beach and a Regency Club lounge in a free standing building among the villas.
Old May 8, 2001, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Avoid Hyatt Regency Cancun

I am a Diamond member of Hyatt's program and had enjoyed the privileges extended by the hotels and the program until my wife and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Cancun this past Christmas. Not only did the property fail to recognize my Diamond status, we were placed in a regular room and not given access to the Regency CLub lounge because the reservation had been booked when I was a Platinum member and it was still reflected in the computer, even though I showed my Diamond card! The staff at the front desk insisted that the computer was correct and had the latest information and refused to call Gold Passport when I asked. To add insult to injury, they then went into their Spanish mode and all of a sudden didn't understand me!

When we returned home, I immediately called Hyatt's Customer Service Center and still have not received a satisfactory resolution. Since this is not one of Hyatt's best properties, my advice you're planning a visit to Cancun is to stay at the Hyatt Caribe. I have no idea what the rooms are like, but the service has got to be better than this place!
Old May 8, 2001, 9:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for the tip. I was planning to stay at this property in a couple of weeks but will reconsider.
Old May 9, 2001, 8:51 am
Original Member

Hey, for 5000 points for a free night, I'll sleep on their beach in a cot.

Seriously, while the Regency Club is okay, the Regency Club rooms are no different from the others. The bottle of water on the nightstand still had a $6 price tag on it like the standard rooms.

Every property has knowledgable people and a lot of idiots (some more than others). I liked the property, mainly due to its location, but wouldn't pay a big premium for it.
Old May 9, 2001, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Tino-
What beach? There is none.

My oly point was to point out the poor service we received. I agree-the 5,000 point deal is what attracted us. But we learned quickly that you get what you pay for. When you're on vacation, the last thing you want is a lot of hassles and I was only asking for what I deserved and was denied. This property simply needs to get its act together.

The other thing was-when I called Hyatt's customer service to complain, the rep I spoke with said that he had a "half dozen complaints on the property that he was working on" at that time. So, even the customer service people know that it's a problem.
Old Jan 9, 2002, 6:16 pm

Cancun Regency v. Cancun Caribe

Anyone stay at either or both Hyatts in Cancun who can comment on amenities for diamond member, level of service, rooms, upgrade possibility, and preference for one or the other, etc.?

Thanks.

Old Jan 9, 2002, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I stayed at the Cancun Caribe in Sept. as a Diamond and checked out the next day-- IMHO, the property was extremely tired. (It takes a lot to make me change hotels, re-packing, etc. is a real hassle). Many newer, comparably priced properties abound.

The room I was given was supposedly an upgrade, but seemed like a cheap studio in a lower class garden apartment complex (except for the fact that it was on a beach). Although I can't prove it, my impression was that the hotel was drawing a lot of low-rate package tour business.

As an aside, the Hyatt Regency in Acapulco exhibits the same (or worse) levels of deferred maintenance, etc. My impression is that Hyatt may be relaxing their standards because they have been unable to secure alternate locations in these important leisure markets.

[This message has been edited by HKG_Flyer1 (edited 01-09-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.