Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2000, 4:03 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

Looking to stay a week at the Resort. Will be going to the zoo, Botanic Gardens, Buckhorn Museum, Witte Museum(maybe), River Walk and the Missions. Will have 5 usable days.

1. Any comments about the HR Hill Country Resort and Spa?
2. Am I missing a major in the itenery? (no roller coasters, Ripleys or Sea World for us).
3. How is the drive/parking situation?
4. Renting a car, but I believe I must do this at the AP as I do not think the Hyatt has rentals. Does anyone know what/if they charge to park.

Trip will be late early NOV. I know there is a HR in town but our vouchers are good for the Resort.
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by ranles (edited 04-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ranles (edited 04-20-2000).]
Old Apr 20, 2000, 5:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
You could take a day trip up to Austin (my previous home). It's only about 70 miles north of San Antonio. Take a look at
http://www.austin360.com/acvb/visit/visit.htm

for things to do. You could also take a drive up into the hill country up to Fredricksberg (lots of antique shopping, I believe).
Old Apr 20, 2000, 9:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Delta Platinum, UAL 1K+Club, Natl Emerald Exec, NEXUS/Pre/Global Entry
One place you MUST eat is Magic Time Machine. It's on the north loop and not far from the airport. All of the staff is in costume (Dorothy, Scooby Doo, Romeo, Juliet) and they are in character. The salad bar is in a gutted vintage cadillac. Menu is steak/seafood and quite tasty. There is also a great AUTHENTIC mexican restaurant near the Magic Time Machine. I cannot recall the name but if you read city guides they'll advertise there.
The lonestar brewery tour is fun. But between the riverwalk and the missions, you've pretty much hit the high spots. If you can catch the spurs the alamodome is quite a site.
Old Apr 20, 2000, 9:57 pm
In Memoriam

Ranles,
I have been to San Antonio about six times over the years. The river walk is the best and most famous thing in town. Definitely the best place to be at night and you must take a boat ride. The mission trial is also outstanding. If your into amusement parks (which doesn't sound like it) there is a Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Park. I have never been to either. The only museum there I have been to was the cultural museum in the old World's Fairgroud. I really enjoyed it but that was about 15 years ago. It's next to the Tower of the Americas (also not a bad idea to go up in to get a great view of South Texas). I'm going to be in San Antonio this Wednesday thur Friday on a business retreat and will reply next week on the current situation in SA. The suggestion about Austin is also good. It's a very cool town especially for nightlife. North of San Antonio there is a German town called New Brunsfall (probably not spelled right) which has some decent restaurants and San Marcus which has a couple of smaller amusement parks (one of these I went to proabably about 20 years ago and they had a glass bottom boat with a swimming pig of all things. Quite a sight.) and is an outlet shopping paradise. The Hill Country area around Austin is the most scenic and really only scenic section of Texas except for maybe the Big Bend area. I have never stayed at the Hyatt resort but it sounds great. I think you will enjoy this unique town. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and don't forget the Alamo.
-James

[This message has been edited by Applefan (edited 04-20-2000).]
Old Apr 21, 2000, 12:55 pm

1. The Hyatt is choice. It's a little ways out of town, so you will need a rental.

- Visit the Alamo. Look for the cool stuff in the basement.
- There is a Riverboat ride on the river along the Riverwalk. $4, no reservations necessary. Lot's of fun and you learn of town history.
- Consider a day trip to Austin. It's about 75 minutes from Hyatt (without traffic).
- About halfway to Austin are outlet malls, if you are into that.
- Also along I-35 is a snake farm and petting zoo, again in you are into that.
- Not too far north of San Antonio are caves. I cannot remember the name, but there are billboards all the way between S.A. & Austin. I visted them, very cool.

3. Parking on the Riverwalk can be difficult and expensive, especially if there is a convention in town. Traffic is bad during rush hour.

4. Check with the hotel. It was free when I stayed there several years ago.

They Hyatt resort is a great choice for relaxation. If that doesn't work, consider Marriott Riverwalk (not Rivercenter). Ask for a balcony room with view of Riverwalk. It's generally $10 extra per night, but more that worth it in view.
Old Apr 21, 2000, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Well, I guess you really don't want to visit the hospital where I was born in SA . . . at any rate, IMHO you're at one of the best hotels in the city, although probably about the most remote. Be sure to sit on the back porch at sundown, rock in one of the big rocking chairs, enjoy your favorite beverage, watch the world go by. Unless you valet park at Hyatt Hill Country, parking is comp.(BTW, be glad you're staying where you are -- the Riverwalk property is in a great location, but kind of tired.) If you golf, there's an excellent course by the HHC.
For things to do: If you're a zoo person, SA has an excellent zoo (near the Botanical Gardens, too). The Alamo, obviously. This may be a little cheesey, but see the IMAX movie across the street from the Alamo ("The Price of Freedom"). Take a ride to the top of the Tower of the Americas, preferably at night. (Do yourself a favor--don't eat there, just look and enjoy.) Next to the Tower of the Americas (another relic of HemisFair'68)is the Institute of Texas Cultures. If you've got a half-day or so, it's great for learning all about the many backgrounds of the people who are Texas. Visit San Fernando Cathedral. For a laugh, have your picture taken in front of the giant (like 20 feet tall) cowboy boots at North Star Mall on Loop 410.
Take a road trip and come visit us in Austin. The capitol and governor's mansion are great to visit, as is the State Cemetery. Eat some barbecue at The Iron Works. I'll keep thinking -- there's more than just this!
Old Apr 21, 2000, 8:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Thanks, this information brought a tear to my eyes and represents all that is good on this board. Travelers helping other travelers.

I will surely open up my itenery to include some of the suggestions. I know how hard it is to suggest thing to do to others without knowing there preferences! Thanks for the help!!

Applefan, I will be looking for your update!

Ontheroad, thanks for the responive reply.
Old Apr 21, 2000, 9:53 pm

ranles, Hyatt Hill Country is a great facility. If you're a golfer, it has a nice course. Only played 9 holes, but it was in the spring and the flowers & greenery were pretty around the course. You may already know, but you'll be right next to Sea World.

The comment about New Braunfels is correct. There is a place there called Aquarena Springs with the glass-bottom boat, an underwater mermaid show, tram to the top of something??? with a unique gift-shop (it's been 5 years), and a HUGE outlet mall nearby.

We went on the cave tour, walked down about a mile into this great cave with incredible limestone stalagmites. Highlight of the tour is all the bat guano around the cave! Don't go if you're claustrophobic!

Also did the drive-thru Animal Safari...watch out for the ostriches! One of them almost ate the sideview mirror off my rental car and they peck at the windows with their beaks. That would be interesting to explain...

I love SAT, you'll have a great time!!! Great food, great people, great city.
Old Apr 21, 2000, 11:38 pm
In Memoriam

Shadow,
Thanks for reminding me about the mermaids. I went to Aquarena Springs in 1979 and I still remember it. It's definitely not your average park. I don't even recall a rollercoaster. There was also a Tower ride where you sat in a large red disc and slowly twisted up to the top and also a Swiss sky ride. The oddest thing was the western town section which was like a recreation of a ghost town. I thought Yul Brynner was going to pop out of one of the buildings. I wonder if it's still there? I quickly did a search on the web for a site for this amusement park but did not find anything. I did find a travel report for the caverns next to it. They are called Natural Bridge Carverns.
http://bigwaste.com/photos/tx/naturalbridge/

I've never been there but have seen the billboards for it which are all over I-35. I have been to the Inner Space Caverns which are north of Austin. They were found when the highway department was driving for I-35 and are pretty impressive. I also found some other links for attractions in this area.
http://www.new-braunfels.com/
is a site on the German community of New Braunfels.
http://www.tangeroutlet.com/centers/...s/smarcos.html
and http://www.primeretail.com/p.cfm/centers/SanMarcos/
I believe there is an additional outlet mall in New Braunels. The Prime Outlet is the best one I have been to this side of Wisconsin.

If you do find yourself north of Austin, the Stagecoach Inn is one of my favorite restaurants in Texas. It's about 50 miles north of Austin so it probably won't fit in your vacation but I thought I would add it just in case.
http://touringtexas.com/stage/

Enjoy,
James
Old Apr 24, 2000, 2:19 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Wow, I was just about to start on some research on the Austin/San Antonio area since I'll be visiting a friend the second week in May. And who would've thought I'd find it in the Hyatt threads. The last time I stayed at a Hyatt was in Aug 99. Lucky me, I was thread-surfing. Thanks for the links and info!

Linda
Old May 4, 2000, 9:51 pm
In Memoriam

Ranles,
Sorry about the delay in posting. I was in SAT last week and I will try to give a few more suggestions. I was in meetings for much of the day but did take a run down to the Market Square for a few hours one of the days. I had lunch at La Margarita there. Great margaritas but I think you can find better Tex-Mex else in the city. It wasn't as good as the last time I ate there a few years ago. Fiesta was going on so it was very busy in San Antonio. One night we went to a "Night in Old San Antonio" in La Villita which is nightly during Fiesta. It was so crowded that you couldn't even move. I also ate dinner at Boudro's on the River Walk which was very good but again I don't think it's as good as it's reputation. In fact, one of the guide books I picked up at my hotel had a write up about it and said it was "one of the 50 best restaurants in the country according to Esquire Magazine" confused: I would suggest eating at the nearby Little Rhein Steakhouse instead. It's been a few years since I've eaten there, but it's a wonderful steakhouse with a great view of the stage from the riverside patio eating area. I also went back up in the Tower. It's still a bargain. Only $3 to get to the top and there's free parking at the base. I did find a great trendy Martini bar called Swig which is above the Hard Rock on the river. Very cool Jazz place. The River Walk is as interesting as ever with a multitude of cafes and bars. We were also suppose to eat at Silos which is very highly rated but went to the Fiesta event instead. I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.
Old May 7, 2000, 5:39 am

Like Ling, you guys saved me quite a bit of time & effort surfing through the web for sites to see in SAT. Since my trip is essentially one day, now I know just which spots to hit. THANKS!!
Old Dec 20, 2001, 6:23 pm

Hyatt in downtown San Antonio

I would very much like to take advantage of Hyatt's "Faster" promotion (stay three nights & receive a 4th night free)and will be in San Antonio during Xmas. Would you all recommend the downtown Hyatt for a stay during the holidays? I'll be traveling with two children ages 11& 12.

I know that Hyatt's Hill country resort is probably more suitable for children but I think that we would prefer to stay near the Riverwalk this time around.

I've stayed at the newer Westin Riverwalk and loved it. Is the Hyatt comparable or will I be disappointed?
Old Dec 20, 2001, 7:06 pm
In Memoriam

I really like the downtown SAT Hyatt. It's not new and hip like the Westin but it has a wonderful atrium and the location is perfect. The Alamo is across the street! The last time I stayed there was over Thanksgiving weekend and as a Diamond I got a great suite. Make sure you go up to the rooftop pool/gym for a fantastic view.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 7:17 pm
T3

It's a great choice in downtown SAT. Great location, access directly to the riverwalk, Alamo across the street - all in all a very good choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.