Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Old Apr 7, 2000, 4:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

A very nice Hyatt. View of the Harbour, Bridge,and Opera House available. No RC. Be ready for some pricy meals, but good. Comfortable, well appointed rooms. Many rooms with balconies. Very attentative service!!!...did miss RC.
Old Apr 11, 2000, 10:56 am

A superb hotel in my opinion (The Park Hyatt)

I think they just changed mangement to the Ritz Carlton group or somebody like that.

Certainly can't beat the location.
Old Apr 13, 2000, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Walked by the Park Hyatt SYD last night. Still a Hyatt. The Hyatt Kingsgate (on top of Kings Cross) is now a Millennium. The area is still sort of grotty, but getting better.
Old Apr 13, 2000, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Park Hyatt by the Rocks is still very much managed and run by Hyatt.

The old Hyatt Regency was owned by the Millenium Group but managed by Hyatt at one time. Since then Millenium hotels have taken over controlling management and is no longer a Hyatt.

IMHO - all the Hyatt properties in Australia are extremely well run and managed.
Old Apr 15, 2000, 2:00 am

Although the Sydney Park Hyatt is indeed still a Hyatt, a group affiliated with Rosewood just purchased a controlling stake, and it appears Hyatt will lose its management contract in the near future.
Old Oct 15, 2000, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Park Hyatt Sydney

Im thinking of staying at this hotel for a short stop DownUnder. Any experiences? Ive recently been comped to Diamond and will try to use the suite upgrade voucher.

Ive been trying to book online (the stay would be for the last week of November) and they appear to be full...??

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Oct 15, 2000, 3:49 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
relatively small hotel and very popular. Always listed as THE hotel for Sydney
Old Oct 15, 2000, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Great hotel, nice location.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, et.al.
Old Oct 15, 2000, 10:01 pm

its certainly the best location in sydney and the rooms have just been done up.There are very few suites and most are not separate rooms. you can use the ua 50%off vouchers and get great rates or use points for the full suite thing.you've got more chance of getting a suite that way.
they charge full rate to u/g you which is around $500aus.maybe call them and talk to reservations to make sure u get what u want.

------------------
Old Oct 16, 2000, 4:56 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I've had some very average experiences here. Almost never get your Diamond amenity and if you pay a cheap rate you will get a horrid room on the ground floor facing inwards, ie no view!

Also a number of the rooms give a view of the bridge which is a disappointment if you wanted to see the Opera House.

I don't stay there any more after my experiences but have moved to the Sheraton on the Park, where they give me a nice park view suite, use of the lounge and a wonderful amenity (Starwood Platinum member).

[This message has been edited by Markie (edited 10-16-2000).]
Old Oct 16, 2000, 9:03 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We stayed there this year (first stay at the property, second visit to it). It is really top of the line! It is always rated very highly.

I do not know what happened to Markie, but there is no Hyatt amenity for platinum and never has been in the fifteen years I have been party of their program. If you stay at the same Hyatt frequently, they may give you something but that is a property decision and not part of the Hyatt program. If you want a particular view you have to ask and often pay for it.

Service at this property is excellent. The food is quite nice, but bring lots of money. Our room was a corner room with view of the bridge and park on the water. We were on the second floor. Views are great, but in a difference sense. The hotel is not a highrise, so do not expect that type of view. The rooms are not lavish in size, but are appointed quite well. As a small hotel, the prices from room to room are quite different. Comped upgrades are harder to come by in a small property. It is one of the best thought, if you want quality amenities, service and food.

I would suspect that you will not get a suite upgrade. There are few of these and the upgrade certificates are not revenue, so the hotel gets nothing for them.

No matter where you stay be prepared for a great visit...it is a wonderful place filled, mostly, with very friendly people and great things to do and visit.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 12:37 pm

Great hotel.

Must be one of the best in Sydney. Most rooms are good but getting recognition for Diamond level is a chore.

They seem to be in their own little world.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Sorry - I'm Diamond - got confused with Sheraton!

Glad you've all had good experiences, mine have just been different - after four bad stays I just moved hotel.
Old Oct 21, 2000, 9:12 pm

I had a great experience back in Dec-98 at this hotel. Stayed on 2nd. floor on the bay side with great view of Opera House. Straight out from my room was the mooring pier for the sailing ship (replica I think) that discovered Australia. Maybe I was just lucky to get such a great view.

Room was not huge, but I would call it large. The bathroom was huge with superior appointments (really like the Aussie showerhead!). Very pricy at approx. 375AUS. Really liked it that every light in the room had a dimmer control on it. Could adjust the lights anyway I wanted. The while experience was great and I would go back, but only on my employers money.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Recent experiences at Park Hyatt Sydney as diamond?

We're staying in a few months for 10 nights on an award stay as diamond at the Park Hyatt Sydney, according to our confirmation in a King "city/harbor view".

Any recent experiences on what to expect as diamond? What is the breakfast like? How are they about giving UG's to opera view rooms? Has the service improved over some of the bad vibe experiences posted in the past on FT?

Insights on the hotel and on diamond treatment on an award stay are appreciated. We do certainly feel like 150K points for 10 nights here is a deal. The lowest rate for our dates was A$720 per night.

Stayed last couple times in SYD at the Westin, which is really super, saw the Hyatt's roof pools from the bridge climb and thought the Rocks/Hyatt would be cool, so we're giving this a try (also just swithing generally all our stays away from SPG and to Hyatt whereever possible). Insights much appreciated. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.