XIV Settimana della Cultura, April 14 - 22

Subscribe
In case the FTers visiting Italy between April 14 -22 are unaware:

You'll be there for Culture Week when "MiBAC" (Ministero Per I Beni E Le Attività Culturali) opens free of charge all the sites owned and managed by the State: monuments, museums, archaeological sites, archives, libraries; and features popular events throughout the country.

The English language site doesn't provide any details but if you go to the main site in Italian, you'll see full details for "XIV Settimana della Cultura - 14/22 aprile 2012" and from that page you can click on each region's brochures.

Since I'm a major Rome-ophile here's the info for Rome:

From Rome's 060608 site

And MiBAC's 68 pg PDF for Lazio

And I just noticed that the Colosseum/Palatine/Forum is NOT taking part this year. That's a real shame.
Great heads up.

The fact that the Colosseum, Foro, and Palatine aren't participating is a downside but I do see positives in it. Now's your chance to stop by some great places you wouldn't normally pay to see while on a visit there (i.e. - Crypta Balbi, Campidoglio). Also, I saw on their site that they're offering a variety of guided tours and lecture series in various locations, including my favorite structure the Pantheon.
Adding another link from the 060608 site (in English) which shows more details of what's on offer in Rome for Culture Week:

XIV Settimana della Cultura di Roma Capitale - Musei Civici
More links:

From Buzz in Rome:
Free Culture Week in Rome (April 14-22): Highlights, Events and Exceptions!

From the American Institute of Roman Culture:
Settimana della Cultura: Play the Culture Week Game
New York Times article on the topic - including some musical events being held Thursday and Friday night:

In Rome, It’s the Week of Culture