Infant turning 2 on return leg

Subscribe
Hi All,

I called up VS 3 times and I have different answers so I thought I would ask here.

Has anyone travelled with VS using miles with a yet to be 2 year old on the outbound and a 2 year old on the inbound?

I understand on the outbound it would be a lapchild and therefore 10% of the miles required. However I know that BA gives a seat at the same 10% infant rate on the return leg if the infant is already 2 years old on the return.

Can someone confirm if this is the same for VS?

Legs will be SYD-HKG-SYD on Upper Class.

Cheers,
K.
Should be ok
Quote: Should be ok
Why?

CAA regulations are quite clear that once a child reaches two, it requires its own seat. AFAIK VS follow CAA regulations.

Nick
Presumably you will be able to do an infant redemption on the outbound... but when you return as the little one will now be 2 you will need to do a child redemption as they will require their own seat.
No one on this forum has done such a booking? I called VS one say yes and one say no. So not sure who to believe. And for BA I know that they provide the inbound seat at the infant rate....So not sure if VS follows BA.
I called up again asking them to check with their superiors and they have confirmed as long there is a G seat available for redemption on the inbound they will provide a seat. So total will still only be 10% of required adult miles + taxes.... So looks like they follow BA...
I know my kids were both 2 for at least 3 years each!
What do you mean ?

Quote: I know my kids were both 2 for at least 3 years each!
Quote: What do you mean ?
I just wouldn't say anything if that is possible. Like going to the movies "Tell the guy you're 9 not 12 so we get the child rate..."
Woudn't you need to show the passport?
Yes I can confirm this is true!
If A to B child is less than 2 = 10 % of miles
If B to A child turns 2+ = 10% of miles provided both legs are on the same ticket

I have just done this on BA and also on Virgin.
it doesnt apply on Qantas or AA.

Good Luck
Rich

Quote: Hi All,

I called up VS 3 times and I have different answers so I thought I would ask here.

Has anyone travelled with VS using miles with a yet to be 2 year old on the outbound and a 2 year old on the inbound?

I understand on the outbound it would be a lapchild and therefore 10% of the miles required. However I know that BA gives a seat at the same 10% infant rate on the return leg if the infant is already 2 years old on the return.

Can someone confirm if this is the same for VS?

Legs will be SYD-HKG-SYD on Upper Class.

Cheers,
K.
Hi Rich,

Which route were you flying on Virgin? Also I take it on the outbound it was a lap child while on the inbound they were provided their own seat?

Thanks,
K.
Answers below

Quote: Hi Rich,

Which route were you flying on Virgin?
Answer : Syd Hkg Lhr Mia

Also I take it on the outbound it was a lap child while on the inbound they were provided their own seat?
Answer : yes all at 10% miles in upper

Thanks,
K.
Thanks lamborich
infants
I have done this. No one blinks an eye.

The key date is the OUTBOUND.