Seat Assignment for Thai Flight (CO Award Travel)

Subscribe
I booked a reward flight through Continental for a future flight that is on United and Thai Air, however I don't have the ability to select my seat or meal for the Thai flights, it says that this will be done at check-in at the gate, is there a way to get around this so I can pre-order my meal and such through Thai Air's website or something?
Not sure on Thai. On Lufthansa you definitely can. You take the LH (in that case) record locator to the Lufthansa site and enter it there. You have to have created an account for that with Lufthansa (doesn't have to be a M&M account - just a web access account). Once you enter the RL there you can select seats. I suggest you see if Thai has a similar capability - just make sure you use the Thai relevant locator.
I have done the same as above with other star alliance carriers without problems. Even called reservations once for Aer Lingus (United Partner) and they were happy to do it over the phone.
Quote: is there a way to get around this so I can pre-order my meal and such through Thai Air's website or something?
Call the Thai reservations office in LA. They can handle both seat assignments and special meal requests.

SunLover
I've also booked award tickets on Thai and I don't believe there is any way to pick your seat, etc. on line (I tried several times using various options at their site to no avail).

On a separate (paid ticket), I called to change the date on a flight, and they changed it instantly and free (even though ticket called for a change fee). . . so I'm 1 for 1 for great experiences in calling Thai.
Call TG
With the right sort of ticket (expensive) they'll give you a seat or at least request the type you want and that seems to be honored most of the time.

Call 800-426-5204 in LA if you want short hours and a long wait. Or call Bangkok at 011-66-2-356-1111 or -288-7000 if you want a shorter wait and 24 hour service.
Moving this to the Thai Royal Orchid Plus Forum (with a better thread title).

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Quote: Call 800-426-5204 in LA if you want short hours and a long wait.
I've called the US number (LA) twice now for itineraries over the last couple months. Both times, the wait was less than 5 minutes and the agents have been extremely helpful.

If you call Thai directly they can assign seats and can also provide you with the Thai record locator where you can go online to the Thai website and select your meal.
The LA office was able to pick our FRA>BKK and BKK>MUC seats

For our domestic flights we were told seats are handled at check in.
Domestic flights assigment is done at the check in counter, even in business class.
Quote: Domestic flights assigment is done at the check in counter, even in business class.
Seats can be chosen with OLCI 24 hours in advance of domestic flight.
Quote: Not sure on Thai. On Lufthansa you definitely can. You take the LH (in that case) record locator to the Lufthansa site and enter it there. You have to have created an account for that with Lufthansa (doesn't have to be a M&M account - just a web access account). Once you enter the RL there you can select seats. I suggest you see if Thai has a similar capability - just make sure you use the Thai relevant locator.
LH does not require a passenger to have an online account to select seats. I've done it for several reservations just by clicking on "My Bookings" and entering my last name and the LH PNR. See below:

Quote: LH does not require a passenger to have an online account to select seats. I've done it for several reservations just by clicking on "My Bookings" and entering my last name and the LH PNR. See below:

Yup, did that myself recently. Not entirely sure about which PNR you need though? I made a TG booking via bmi and the BD locator pulled up the booking but the TG one didn't. Would it always work with the locator from the ticketing airline or just some of the time...dependant on the res system??
Quote: Yup, did that myself recently. Not entirely sure about which PNR you need though? I made a TG booking via bmi and the BD locator pulled up the booking but the TG one didn't. Would it always work with the locator from the ticketing airline or just some of the time...dependant on the res system??
I had to use the LH PNR, which I obtained by checking my itin on UA.com. You can also call the ticketing airline, and they'll be able to give you the PNR for any segments not operated by them.
You can also email the TG LAX office if you're based in the USA: [email protected]

I've always gotten prompt service through there on selecting seats.

The only place TG record locators work is on the TG site.