USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: The dealership I took my car to today had one of those new-looking terminals that support contactless AND EMV, yet the prompt on them was something like "swipe/tap card", which implied the EMV portion was disabled. Think they're going to be one of those that gets their EMV slot involuntarily turned on right on October 1, 2015? Are acquirers even going to do that for terminals that support it or rely on merchants asking them to?
Who turns on EMV - the acquirer or the merchant?
Quote: Who turns on EMV - the acquirer or the merchant?
Usually the merchant gets their credit card equipment from the acquirer, no? I would have expected EMV to already be turned on for new stuff.
Quote: No worries, I see your assumption now.

As for the card networks, they each have the finest systems that money can buy and can scale quite well. Occasionally you used to see some slight delays on the weekend prior to Christmas for transactions using modems, but that's about it.

That said, the HSM and related infrastructure to process mass EMV payments is quite impressive. And the networks don't rely on single locations, they use data centers spaced around the globe.
So now the question is why on earth did Walmart not upgrade their processing systems to cope with the transaction volume they knew they'd be seeing?
Quote: Usually the merchant gets their credit card equipment from the acquirer, no? I would have expected EMV to already be turned on for new stuff.
Well is it something the acquirer does in the background that happens and the terminal automatically changes as a result OR that the merchant manually chooses something in his/her terminal or computer?
Quote: So now the question is why on earth did Walmart not upgrade their processing systems to cope with the transaction volume they knew they'd be seeing?
So I've been following this grumbling about the slow transaction processing times at WM checkouts. My experience (all with either self-checkout or the terminal at the pharmacy counter - none yet in a regular checkout lane) has been that the transaction completes within 10 seconds maximum. Complete = from the time I insert the chip card to pay up to the time the terminal tells me to remove the card and take my receipt, including the time I spend interacting with the card reader to acknowledge the transaction amount, etc. Seems OK to me. And, with either a Chase Visa or Amex, I get a text message informing me of the transaction before I leave the checkout lane. So the back-office processing seems quite efficient. I don't see the problem...?

Yes, I had some early issues with chips not being recognized the first time, but once the terminal sees the chip and is happy, the transaction completes promptly. And these recognition problems have not happened the last 3-5 purchases, so maybe that issue is sorted out.
Quote: Well is it something the acquirer does in the background that happens and the terminal automatically changes as a result OR that the merchant manually chooses something in his/her terminal or computer?
No idea.
I am from the UK, and I used my UK issued MasterCard (so with a Chip and PIN) in a Florida Walmart back in May.

Everything worked pretty much the same as it did here - once I got over the shock of somewhere in the US actually having EMV!

I wouldn't say that it took that long to process the transaction.

With the offline PIN and auth of most transactions in the UK, transactions can be over very quickly - they rarely take very long.

I used my VISA Debit Card (EMV with contactless) in Subway in Florida (using the contactless) a couple of times and that did take longer than usual.
When using offline PIN, does the terminal still check the network to ensure you can make the purchase? (Sufficient credit) Or is processed as a purely offline transaction, like on a flight? I ask because I seem to recall that in France, the impetus for doing offline PIN was the high cost of connecting all these places to a network. But if that's the case, sounds like they can't communicate with anything...
Quote: When using offline PIN, does the terminal still check the network to ensure you can make the purchase? (Sufficient credit) Or is processed as a purely offline transaction, like on a flight? I ask because I seem to recall that in France, the impetus for doing offline PIN was the high cost of connecting all these places to a network. But if that's the case, sounds like they can't communicate with anything...
It's up to the retailer. Most places will allow low value transactions without authorisation - unless the card doesn't allow it (e.g. prepaid cards, debit cards for children etc.).
Quote: When using offline PIN, does the terminal still check the network to ensure you can make the purchase? (Sufficient credit) Or is processed as a purely offline transaction, like on a flight? I ask because I seem to recall that in France, the impetus for doing offline PIN was the high cost of connecting all these places to a network. But if that's the case, sounds like they can't communicate with anything...
I've always wondered, how are credit card transactions processed in flight? How do they make sure you gave them a valid card?
Also, a related questions,
When people refer to an offline chip transaction, how does the chip make sure you have the credit available to make a purchase?,And then, at what point does the card/terminal have an opportunity to go online and send purchase information to the banks?

Appreciate the responses
Quote: I've always wondered, how are credit card transactions processed in flight? How do they make sure you gave them a valid card?
Also, a related questions,
When people refer to an offline chip transaction, how does the chip make sure you have the credit available to make a purchase?,And then, at what point does the card/terminal have an opportunity to go online and send purchase information to the banks?

Appreciate the responses
In-flight they are processed in three different ways (there are a few slightly different methods but I won't go into these).

The most common way is deferred authorisation and is also the riskiest. The terminal litterally stores the track data of the card (You can't do this with chip cards) and upon landing the transactions are authorised as if they had been processed at the time of plugging in the machine to an internet connection, transactions can decline and the merchant will lose out.

The second way is via the chip, the chip authorises the transaction offline assuming its below the floor limit the issuer set on the card and the floor limit the airline has on their terminal. In this case, no authorisation is obtained and the transaction will be settled (you won't see a pending transaction online, it'll just post a couple of days later), the merchant will be gurarranted payment. If the cardholder didn't have enough credit or funds they will go overlimit or overdrawn (even if they didn't have an overdraft). Many debit cards that are issued to high risk individuals or minors will automatically decline and will not work offline. These are often referred to as X2X cards (I.e. Mandatory authorisation cards). Magnetic stripe cards still work with these airlines but the floor limit is usually much much lower (usually £100 (170 USD) or airline currency equivalent vs £500 (860 USD) for a chip card). Cards which use online PIN or signature will both be verified by signature as a PIN will not be able to be checked, offline PIN cards will have the PIN checked.

The third method is procesing the transaction online via satelite or wifi.

The chip doesn't know if you have the available credit but it'll have some risk paremeters set in it by the issuer, these are updated every so often when you make a transaction. During every transaction, the chip will tell the terminal if it can process offline, the terminal then decides if it wants to go online or offline, these days it'll usually go online if it can anyway.

I hope this helps and I hope I haven't missed anything out, I typed this up on my phone.
Quote: In-flight they are processed in three different ways (there are a few slightly different methods but I won't go into these).

The most common way is deferred authorisation and is also the riskiest. The terminal litterally stores the track data of the card (You can't do this with chip cards) and upon landing the transactions are authorised as if they had been processed at the time of plugging in the machine to an internet connection, transactions can decline and the merchant will lose out.

The second way is via the chip, the chip authorises the transaction offline assuming its below the floor limit the issuer set on the card and the floor limit the airline has on their terminal. In this case, no authorisation is obtained and the transaction will be settled (you won't see a pending transaction online, it'll just post a couple of days later), the merchant will be gurarranted payment. If the cardholder didn't have enough credit or funds they will go overlimit or overdrawn (even if they didn't have an overdraft). Many debit cards that are issued to high risk individuals or minors will automatically decline and will not work offline. These are often referred to as X2X cards (I.e. Mandatory authorisation cards). Magnetic stripe cards still work with these airlines but the floor limit is usually much much lower (usually £100 (170 USD) or airline currency equivalent vs £500 (860 USD) for a chip card). Cards which use online PIN or signature will both be verified by signature as a PIN will not be able to be checked, offline PIN cards will have the PIN checked.

The third method is procesing the transaction online via satelite or wifi.

The chip doesn't know if you have the available credit but it'll have some risk paremeters set in it by the issuer, these are updated every so often when you make a transaction. During every transaction, the chip will tell the terminal if it can process offline, the terminal then decides if it wants to go online or offline, these days it'll usually go online if it can anyway.

I hope this helps and I hope I haven't missed anything out, I typed this up on my phone.
Very interesting and informative .
Thanks
Can somebody from here please help me settle a mini argument I am currently having with somebody on the citi AA executive thread
This guy clearly has no idea how EMV CVMs work
A sample follows
Much appreciated
Quote: I will check with both Citi and Chase (and escalate to a supervisor level if needed, as I NEED the CORRECT information for my travels) and will report back.
Perhaps you can enlighten me what makes you such an expert and a more credible source than a "minimum wage CSR" and then I just may be more likely to listen to you.
Re: US Walmart EMV transaction times

I've used my Canadian cards at various Walmart stores in different parts of the US and did not notice anything taking longer than usual. 10 to 15 seconds only, including PIN entry. Experience is in line with Walmart Canada and other EMV transactions.
Cardholder authentication (i.e. PIN) is not the same as transaction authorisation.

In Canada for example, we use offline PIN yet 99% of contact EMV transactions are authorised online.