USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/contact-us/

They generally deal with these types of complaints but I doubt anything would be done about it. You would probably be better off complaining to Spar.
It's too bad these issues don't surface in the US. Here a merchant would be quickly brought to its knees over an ADA lawsuit for failing to provide a reasonable accommodation. Now, I'm generally not a fan of these opportunistic lawsuits, but taking a signature would definitely be a reasonable accommodation.
Quote: Here you go, a Freedom card with chip:

Quote: Update on Chase Freedom EMV

Called again today
1. Frontline CSR didn't have a clue
2. Asked to speak to supervisor, supervisor seemingly knew exactly what I was talking about and said that typically those cards go out in waves to customers, BUT since I told her I was "traveling" she said that "I can submit a special request for you to receive the card"
3. Gladly accepted and asked for express delivery
I will update here once I receive the card

Update my card was received with a chip today as agreed and expected so I suggest fallowing this process to receive your cards
Quote: Update my card was received with a chip today as agreed and expected so I suggest fallowing this process to receive your cards
Is it really worth the trouble? When would you ever use EMV on a Freedom card (which has FTFs)? I feel like this is just unnecessarily burdening Chase CSRs.
Quote: Is it really worth the trouble? When would you ever use EMV on a Freedom card (which has FTFs)? I feel like this is just unnecessarily burdening Chase CSRs.
Not so much for use with international travel, but moreso to do with US EMV switchover happening and already being turned on in some places in the US (Walmart), it's in everyone's interest to get an upgraded card with the EMV chip regardless of FTFs and what not as it does offer better security than the mag-stripe.

If an upgrade is available today and if it costs the cardholder nothing for better security, why wouldn't you want to not upgrade?

Besides, "burdening Chase CSRs" is not really something we should be thinking of as a client of Chase. That's what they are paid to do. If they don't like it and the labor cost involved, offer a "send me an EMV card upgrade" tick mark option on the online account page like Citi does. Such an option on the online account page probably can be done in less than a day by a programmer.
Quote: Is it really worth the trouble? When would you ever use EMV on a Freedom card (which has FTFs)? I feel like this is just unnecessarily burdening Chase CSRs.
Quote: Not so much for use with international travel, but moreso to do with US EMV switchover happening and already being turned on in some places in the US (Walmart), it's in everyone's interest to get an upgraded card with the EMV chip regardless of FTFs and what not as it does offer better security than the mag-stripe.

If an upgrade is available today and if it costs the cardholder nothing for better security, why wouldn't you want to not upgrade?

Besides, "burdening Chase CSRs" is not really something we should be thinking of as a client of Chase. That's what they are paid to do. If they don't like it and the labor cost involved, offer a "send me an EMV card upgrade" tick mark option on the online account page like Citi does. Such an option on the online account page probably can be done in less than a day by a programmer.
Exactly , it's not so much about FTFs, as it is just generally supporting and encouraging the EMV movement

As far as the CSRs are concerned,
Contrary to popular belief they probably love FTers because in some cases we know more than even managers and thus they are actually interested to learn/research something for us ,as opposed to telling some redneck that the reason their card keeps declining is because it's already maxed out10 times over
I'm going to wait until Chase announces their PIN plans before getting my Freedom card switched out, even though it most likely will be signature priority still. Besides, if I switch it out then my Discover card will be the only card on my Coin. If they ever ship that thing.
Quote: Update my card was received with a chip today as agreed and expected so I suggest fallowing this process to receive your cards
Thanks so much - will do!

It accomplishes 2 things:
It helps for those places in the USA that have already switched to EMV (such as Walmart)
  1. It sends a message to Chase that there are people who do want EMV. The more we send that message out, the more EMV deployment we'll have
  2. On an additional note, I know that the 3% FTF is *technically* for all transactions outside the USA, regardless of currency. Practically, I've found that any charge outside the USA in USD has *not* been charged a fee on all credit cards issued by Chase specifically. This has been the case at places abroad that charge in USD (TLV duty free, car rental in Israel) - I'm not talking about DCC.

Quote: I'm going to wait until Chase announces their PIN plans before getting my Freedom card switched out, even though it most likely will be signature priority still. Besides, if I switch it out then my Discover card will be the only card on my Coin. If they ever ship that thing.
You could always get one now and if/when they do add PIN, call and ask for a new one, saying you're traveling to a PIN-only country
Quote: You could always get one now and if/when they do add PIN, call and ask for a new one, saying you're traveling to a PIN-only country
It'd be kinda awesome if Chase branches had the ability to add a PIN to any of their credit cards, like Australian banks seem to have been doing during their PIN migration.

Anyway, if their plans end up being such that signature is still first priority, I'll probably still get the CSP switched out early (because 0% FTF). Maybe Freedom too while I'm on the phone with them, even though it expires in early 2015 anyway.
Quote: ...will be the only card on my Coin. If they ever ship that thing.
Hate to sound pessimistic, but Coin very well might turn out like the Dynamics card.

1. Innovative idea
2. Wins awards
3. Get appraisals from venture capitalists
4. May even have a bank pick up the idea (as Citi did with Dynamics)

Except...

5. It never really sees the daylight and ends up being DoA

The problem with both Dynamics and Coin is that it was really an idea product centric to the American credit card payments environment geared solely for American cardholders, when credit cards themselves have become a global payments standard in an increasingly globalized world.

It was stuck in the idea where Americans use their credit cards at their local 7-Eleven or at Macy's, when credit cards have expanded beyond that to Americans purchasing Shinkansen tickets, Japanese purchasing JetBlue tickets, British shopping in Berlin, to Germans driving on the French toll roads.

It's like coming up with a brand new idea for a cell phone that only Americans would use and works in the US when the proper thing to do is like Apple and Google: introduce a product line of smartphones that works everywhere in the world whether one is in Los Angeles, London, or Tokyo, whether one is an American, British, or Japanese via the global GSM/3G/4G/HSDPA standard.

We live in an increasingly globalized world; there are somethings like credit cards and cell phones which need to see a broader market view of the world for it to be successful. The failure of Coin and Dynamics is that they failed to realize that only the US was the sole country left in the world still using mag-stripes in a globalized world, they never sought out beyond what was going on outside the US, and they didn't do the research that everywhere else they were using EMV.

And when countered by this fact, they go on the defense that they will be working on a solution for that later. But people don't want solutions later. What good is getting Coin if you know it's going to fail when traveling abroad with no clear idea or timeframe when they figure out how to do the same thing with EMV? People want a product that works right now, right out of the box, that works everywhere. Just like an iPhone. Just like a Google Android phone.
Quote: Hate to sound pessimistic, but Coin very well might turn out like the Dynamics card.

1. Innovative idea
2. Wins awards
3. May even have a bank pick up the idea (as Citi did with Dynamics)

Except...

4. It never really sees the daylight and ends up being DoA

The problem with both Dynamics and Coin is that it was really an idea product centric to the American credit card payments environment, when credit cards themselves have become a global payments standard in an increasingly globalized world.

It's like coming up with a brand new idea for a cell phone that'll only works in the US when the proper thing to do is like Apple and Google introduce something that works everywhere in the world whether in Los Angeles, London, or Tokyo.
Yeah, I'm assuming I lost that money at this point. At least it was the pre-sale price and not their full price, and I feel a bit of comfort in knowing that this was before Target happened and made everyone aware of EMV. If I do get it, maybe I can get some use out of it as a rewards/gift card holder or something.
Quote: Yeah, I'm assuming I lost that money at this point. At least it was the pre-sale price and not their full price, and I feel a bit of comfort in knowing that this was before Target happened and made everyone aware of EMV. If I do get it, maybe I can get some use out of it as a rewards/gift card holder or something.
If it has your name etched onto it, the card might be useful when getting money orders with gift cards.
Quote: It'd be kinda awesome if Chase branches had the ability to add a PIN to any of their credit cards, like Australian banks seem to have been doing during their PIN migration.
Isn't this just a simple rewrite of the CVM on the card? I think that it would be the way they'd go about assigning PINs if you're near a Chase branch. The difference in Australia is that the Big Four (ANZ, Westpac, NAB, and Commonwealth Bank) have representation almost in every city in the country. The difference in the US is that you don't have a single bank with a retail presence in all 50 states. Even look at Citibank, Chase, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America. Outside of California, NYC, Las Vegas, Texas, and Chicago, you don't have an option of going into a branch to get your card updated.

I might wait a month or so, but I will eventually call to get the EMV Freedom. I don't use my Freedom card outside of the category bonuses in the US, so there is not an immediate need to get the EMV version.
Quote: If it has your name etched onto it, the card might be useful when getting money orders with gift cards.
Perhaps. From their site:

Quote:
Q. How do I specify the name that will be inscribed on the back of the card?
A. Each Coin will have the cardholder’s name inscribed on it. We will send instructions on Coin account registration, how to provide the name to inscribe on each Coin, and how to provide your shipping address as we get closer to shipping your device.
They also claim that the next generation Coin will support EMV, but I'm not sure banks would be okay with that other than as some sort of proxy (like Google Wallet and it being considered a debit MC regardless of what card was actually charged). If they're a proxy, it would definitely be nice since Coin could export a CVM list that had PIN as priority 1 and eliminate the issues with C&S.

Quote: Isn't this just a simple rewrite of the CVM on the card? I think that it would be the way they'd go about assigning PINs if you're near a Chase branch. The difference in Australia is that the Big Four (ANZ, Westpac, NAB, and Commonwealth Bank) have representation almost in every city in the country. The difference in the US is that you don't have a single bank with a retail presence in all 50 states. Even look at Citibank, Chase, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America. Outside of California, NYC, Las Vegas, Texas, and Chicago, you don't have an option of going into a branch to get your card updated.

I might wait a month or so, but I will eventually call to get the EMV Freedom. I don't use my Freedom card outside of the category bonuses in the US, so there is not an immediate need to get the EMV version.
The other option is to do what Barclaycard's doing and push the new CVM list and PIN on the next use of the card. Chase CSRs would have to add a flag in the system to make that happen (to prevent surprises) when you call in to request a PIN and they would have to direct the cardholder to Walmart or some other place that accepts chip cards to complete the changeover. It may be easier from a customer support angle to just send new cards though.
Quote: The difference in the US is that you don't have a single bank with a retail presence in all 50 states.
Technically credit unions do through their CO-OP shared branching network. That's one way credit unions have big name banks beat.

Only CUs offer something like me being a resident of Los Angeles, CA with the actual CU in Suitland, MD, allowing me to withdraw and make deposits at a shared branch in Pierre, SD.

Of course, if you're one of those researchers down in McMurdo Station in Antarctica or live in Barrow, AK, banking with Wells Fargo would be a better option.
http://www.atmmarketplace.com/articl...s-atms-on-ice/
Update....
If you get push back from CSR or supervisor when ordering the EMV freedom card,
Mention that you are aware that it's currently being tested but you need it for upcoming travel and ask them to therefore please submit a "special request" to have the card issued to you