USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: Got my answer to my question via SM and...
With these matters it's easier to call, but there isn't much of a rush in the case of Freedom since you're unlikely to use it overseas. I'll hold off until the reps have been educated and I don't have to play the game of hang up call again and hope someone knows what I'm talking about.
If Chase Freedom (and other Chase cards that we haven't heard of) indeed comes with EMV, it's probably more along the lines of Chase getting out EMV credit cards out in preparation for the US EMV switchover so as to shift fraud liability over to non-compliant merchants, not because of international travel concerns.
Quote: If Chase Freedom (and other Chase cards that we haven't heard of) indeed comes with EMV, it's probably more along the lines of Chase getting out EMV credit cards out in preparation for the US EMV switchover so as to shift fraud liability over to non-compliant merchants, not because of international travel concerns.
Indeed. Before my last trip overseas the people at BoA's call center were trying to sign me up for the Travel Rewards card for the 0% FTF.
Quote: If Chase Freedom (and other Chase cards that we haven't heard of) indeed comes with EMV, it's probably more along the lines of Chase getting out EMV credit cards out in preparation for the US EMV switchover so as to shift fraud liability over to non-compliant merchants, not because of international travel concerns.
I agree. It's likely the case that most cards issued over the next 15 months will be EMV, and that will get more merchants to switch on EMV. I don't think we'll see many card refusals in the US where the merchant doesn't have an EMV capable terminal yet the customer has an EMV card. Here there is more of a recourse than overseas if a merchant isn't abiding by the Visa/MasterCard policy. It would have been different if issuers hadn't budged because then it would be the status quo for merchants even after the liability shift.
Quote: It reminds me of when I finally got my parents to switch their local and long distance service after I saw their bill one day and discovered they were paying almost $150/month for local and long distance service. (This was in 2005 when many providers had started offering unlimited local and long distance service for $50++/month.) My mom was furious wondering why Ameritech (now AT&T) hadn't notified her of the money saving package. Businesses prey on those who are ignorant or don't take the time t research the options.
At least she wasn't still paying monthly phone rental fees, right?

Every now and then there is an article about folks who are still renting their phones, even though you can buy a phone for only a few dollars now. (Prior to the court ordered AT&T/ Bell System break up, those served by many Bell companies could only use official Bell owned equipment on the phone network.)

And no, this post probably is unrelated to EMV directly, unless the AT&T/Citi Universal Card now comes in an EMV form...
Quote: You only need the zip code at the pump. You don't need the zip code if paying by credit card with the human attendant inside. (With the attendant, you tend to provide other verification, such as showing picture ID. Zip code is used at the pump because the pump cannot check picture ID! )
Requiring a customer to present ID for a card transaction is a violation of both Mastercard and Visa merchant rules.

It is of course ok to require a ID to be shown if ALL transactions require it (e.g. hotels requiring ID checks for cash customers.)
As for as @ChaseSupport on Twitter is aware, there's a plan to *eventually* convert all cards to EMV, but nothing even close to resembling a timetable.
Quote: Requiring a customer to present ID for a card transaction is a violation of both Mastercard and Visa merchant rules.
Yes, and it's violation for merchants to not accept an unchipped card as well. Violation of such rules lead to little, if no consequences. We've already discussed this extensively in the past 350 or so pages.

In the grand scheme of things, VISA and MC agreements mean almost nothing, especially towards billion dollar MNCs. VISA and MC are not police departments, they are corporations out to make money.

Between you the individual cardholder and Chevron (just using an example of a billion dollar corporation), VISA and MC would let Chevron continue to do their thing because their relationship with Chevron makes more money for VISA and MC than any individual.
Quote: Yes, and it's violation for merchants to not accept an unchipped card as well. Violation of such rules lead to little, if no consequences. VISA and MC are not police departments, they are corporations out to make money.
Yuppers
Quote: Requiring a customer to present ID for a card transaction is a violation of both Mastercard and Visa merchant rules.

It is of course ok to require a ID to be shown if ALL transactions require it (e.g. hotels requiring ID checks for cash customers.)
I don't object as much to showing ID, especially to ease the cashier on a riskier transaction. An example would be buying hundreds of dollars worth of gift cards at a grocery store or gas station for a category bonus. However, this is why I want chip-and-PIN. While it doesn't solve all problems, there are few cases where there would be card present fraud in such a transaction.
Quote: At least she wasn't still paying monthly phone rental fees, right?

Every now and then there is an article about folks who are still renting their phones, even though you can buy a phone for only a few dollars now. (Prior to the court ordered AT&T/ Bell System break up, those served by many Bell companies could only use official Bell owned equipment on the phone network.)
No, fortunately they weren't renting their phones. The Carterfone decision was what governed this, and that was back in 1968, well before they moved into their current residence. However, it did take them awhile to allow me to buy a cable modem for them while they continued to pay Comcast $10/month or whatever they were charging for the rental in the interim.
Quote: 1. I don't care/mind your own business/go away/you're not my boss/etc. etc.
2. It's only $3 who the f--- cares
3. It's a convenience I'm willing to pay for
TBH, if anyone outside of my immediate family said anything about my banking/credit card decisions, my response would likely include some or all of the first three.
Question about the BoA cards in the spreadsheet. Supposedly they have an NFC chip but is that on the card itself or on a separate sticker?
Updated spreadsheet with Chase Freedom. Credit thanks to AggieTraveler on the Chase Freedom thread who posted proof of existence of a Chase Freedom card with EMV.
Quote: Question about the BoA cards in the spreadsheet. Supposedly they have an NFC chip but is that on the card itself or on a separate sticker?
Supposedly it should be on the card itself, but I don't have a BofA credit card so I wouldn't know.

The best way to check is if it has a contactless symbol on the back of the card. Another way to test would be if you have an NFC enabled Android smartphone, you can download any number of NFC tag reader apps and place your credit card up to it to see if it detects something. If it does, the app will read the contactless card info and give you goobly-dook of encrypted data.