USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: As you say, if it's not true offline chip and PIN, it can't be used for certain features (as you found out in CDG). A lot of banks are now giving out card readers to allow people to authenticate transactions while using online banking e.g. pay a new person.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/...rity-questions

This can only work with offline Chip and PIN.
According to "the points guy" based on first hand experience, the Barclaycard DOES in fact work at automated ticket kiosks at CDG using the offline pin as CVM
I try always to be fair. My problem at CDG may not have been necessarily the fault of the card rather when the change of pin takes effect. USAA may use the same system as Barclay and I should have tried the old pin too.

As I've been saying all along, in the scheme of things, I shouldn't care if the card is chip and signature or chip and pin or even non emv. The only question here remains that my card be compatible 100% of the time when travelling outside the USA; not 99.7% of the time as visa proudly claims or whatever. This whole thrust about emv, of course, is in some sense misguided. EMV will not stop credit card fraud; it will switch to online fraud as it has been doing for some time now. It will cut down on card is present fraud, chip and pin somewhat better than chip and signature but so what. I have zero liability anyway.

For example, just an example, it is pretty well known that the Netherlands is among the worst offenders in giving magnetic strip cardholders a hard time. The Dutch National Railroad only has one place where a magnetic strip card can be used i.e. a few windows at Centraal Station. When I arrive at Schiphol next time I visit Amsterdam, and step up to buy my train ticket into town, will my chip and signature card work either in the machines or at the windows? This I blame on mc and visa (and Amex too) for not having any way of enforcing their rules that all cards must be honored and when somebody complains to them that their card wasn't honored, they tell them next time tell the merchant they MUST accept the card. Somehow I think telling that to a French automated gas pump on a Sunday afternoon won't be very effective.

This whole 350 pages is not about how wonderful emv is or how we're screwed if the USA goes to chip and signature rather than chip and pin, it is about one thing and one thing only. Will my card work without hassles everywhere I try it. The answer my friends is NO. Visa, MC, get off your collective rear ends and make it happen.
Quote: I have purchased in store where I've been asked for my ZIP code. (Old Navy, American Eagle, Corelle, etc.) Don't know what they would've said had I told them, "I don't have a ZIP code." Maybe it was for statistical purposes only
Oh, yes, at those kinds of stores, you can even get asked ZIP code if you're paying by cash! They just want to gather data on how far flung their customers are, and that's the only way they've figured out how to do it. It has nothing to do with the credit card validation/processing in that case.

There are some cases online or over the phone where they may ask your "billing zip code" (or your whole billing address, for that matter), but again, that's because in these cases they can't do a visual ID check.
Quote: The early indications are not good. I have two chipped Chase cards - CSP and Hyatt. From a Cardpeek scan, they both have the same CVM list:

1) unattended cash (i.e., ATM) - online PIN
2) signature
3) no CVM

So, no provision for any PIN verification on credit transactions. Makes you wonder about what Chase really meant with their "Chip+PIN" announcement in the wake of the Target breach. See here: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/cr...-chip-and-pin/

After jeffjaguar's report on the new USAA card, my expectations are lowered across the board. My USAA "real" Chip+PIN offline will expire next February, and I don't expect to go chasing any other cards that claim Chip+PIN until then at the earliest.
Ugh...so when Chase finally does get real C&P, I'm probably going to have to ask them to reissue my Sapphire Preferred again.

I really don't care what the priority order in the CVM list is, so long as signature, online PIN, and offline PIN all show up somewhere in the list. Has anyone taken a "new" USAA card with C&S priority and seen whether offline PIN shows up farther down in the CVM list?
Something tells me that if Barclays is any indication then a reissue won't be necessary to enable chip and pin
Quote: Ugh...so when Chase finally does get real C&P, I'm probably going to have to ask them to reissue my Sapphire Preferred again.

I really don't care what the priority order in the CVM list is, so long as signature, online PIN, and offline PIN all show up somewhere in the list. Has anyone taken a "new" USAA card with C&S priority and seen whether offline PIN shows up farther down in the CVM list?
I care I want PIN to avoid the confusion not for acceptance.
Quote: Something tells me that if Barclays is any indication then a reissue won't be necessary to enable chip and pin
If a reissue isn't necessary to change the CVM list, then couldn't my USAA M/C's offline PIN priority go *poof* the next time I use the EMV chip? Or maybe it already has. If they can add stuff to the CVM list, they can remove it too.
Quote: If a reissue isn't necessary to change the CVM list, then couldn't my USAA M/C's offline PIN priority go *poof* the next time I use the EMV chip? Or maybe it already has. If they can add stuff to the CVM list, they can remove it too.
Your guess is as good as mine
Quote: Oh, yes, at those kinds of stores, you can even get asked ZIP code if you're paying by cash! They just want to gather data on how far flung their customers are, and that's the only way they've figured out how to do it. It has nothing to do with the credit card validation/processing in that case
You can usually tell by when they ask during the transaction, but it's almost certainly marketing. Give them your work zip code, if different. If the transaction faults, you can apology. Other places ask for your phone number.

With a zip code and name off your credit card, there's a real good chance they can figure out exactly who you are for marketing purposes. If they can, and everyone else can, pretty soon they have, for better or worse, a model if you as a customer.

For the other thing Target got outed doing recently, see: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...er-father-did/
Apparently the Freedom has EMV now according to the Chase forum.
Verifying now! Will report back
Thanks for info
Big deal. It has the dreaded, asinine, rip off 3% ftf. DOA.
Quote: Big deal. It has the dreaded, asinine, rip off 3% ftf. DOA.
The card is still good for the quarterly bonuses when combined with something like the CSP.
Quote: Big deal. It has the dreaded, asinine, rip off 3% ftf. DOA.
While I agree, it's a step in the right direction. It's just like how I got the EMV version of the Costco AmEx. I have no intention of using the Costco AmEx overseas (other than as a membership card), but this will mean my credit cards will be 100% EMV once I replace the Freedom card with an EMV version. It will just leave my two debit cards as non-EMV.

A bit OT, but I think the Freedom allows the 5% cash back as long as the merchant category is coded correctly, right? AmEx Costco restricts the bonus cash back to US merchants only. However, I recognize most of the bonus category merchants are only or largely within the US: Lowe's, Kohl's, most of the department stores, etc.
Quote: While I agree, it's a step in the right direction. It's just like how I got the EMV version of the Costco AmEx. I have no intention of using the Costco AmEx overseas (other than as a membership card), but this will mean my credit cards will be 100% EMV once I replace the Freedom card with an EMV version. It will just leave my two debit cards as non-EMV.

A bit OT, but I think the Freedom allows the 5% cash back as long as the merchant category is coded correctly, right? AmEx Costco restricts the bonus cash back to US merchants only. However, I recognize most of the bonus category merchants are only or largely within the US: Lowe's, Kohl's, most of the department stores, etc.
Even if so, the 3% FTF would make the effective bonus only 2%, which might not be compelling depending on what other cards you had.