USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: One interesting thing is that I used my USAA M/C in China several times, but most of the time, I don't remember being asked to enter a PIN. Is it possible for the terminal to default to signature if the transaction is below a certain amount?
I can't answer your question about amount, but if you look at the CVM sequence, I interpret it to mean that if the terminal doesn't support offline PIN but does support signature verification, you would be asked for a signature before the card would accept online PIN.

The whole issue is confusing to me - all I really want is a card that works everywhere I want it to, reliably and securely. I really don't care a rat's @$$ about what technology is used to deliver that.

If US merchants and card issuers are worried about the American consumer's inability to remember a bunch of PINs and to always dip instead of swipe, what do they think we will do with a card that asks for a PIN one time, and a signature the next? Dip your card, then wait with the merchant to see what happens - PIN or signature, or terminal hang, or...whatever. That's one reason I dumped my AFCU card in favor of USAA. But if USAA has switched CVM sequence on their renewal cards as jeffjaguar's experience suggests...<grrrr>...
Quote: I can't answer your question about amount, but if you look at the CVM sequence, I interpret it to mean that if the terminal doesn't support offline PIN but does support signature verification, you would be asked for a signature before the card would accept online PIN.

The whole issue is confusing to me - all I really want is a card that works everywhere I want it to, reliably and securely. I really don't care a rat's @$$ about what technology is used to deliver that.

If US merchants and card issuers are worried about the American consumer's inability to remember a bunch of PINs and to always dip instead of swipe, what do they think we will do with a card that asks for a PIN one time, and a signature the next? Dip your card, then wait with the merchant to see what happens - PIN or signature, or terminal hang, or...whatever. That's one reason I dumped my AFCU card in favor of USAA. But if USAA has switched CVM sequence on their renewal cards as jeffjaguar's experience suggests...<grrrr>...
Yesterday I asked USAA if their card does online or offline. Here is the response I received from USAA:

"The Chip and PIN card can use either an online or offline terminal for verification. As an example of an online terminal, but not limited to would be an ATM machine that connects to USAA. And an example of an offline terminal, again not limited to would be a parking lot that is not attended.

In addition, whether the transaction is processed through an online terminal or an offline terminal is based on what the merchant is using. So, if you have a concern as to which is being used, you may wish to consult directly with the merchant."
Quote: One interesting thing is that I used my USAA M/C in China several times, but most of the time, I don't remember being asked to enter a PIN. Is it possible for the terminal to default to signature if the transaction is below a certain amount?
This is a guess (based on the fact that the only foreign chip cards I've used in China have either signature or PIN in the CVM list for purchases, but not both) but China seems to be online PIN. Since it's at the bottom of the USAA card CVM list then it has to be that it prefers signature over offline PIN, thus it just asks you to sign. You'd know what type of PIN it's asking you for since it specifies- either it asks for 联机密码(online PIN) or it asks for "Offline PIN:" in English.
Guys,

I called PenFed and they say that for their card, we need to select the PIN before the card is printed, because the PIN in coded in the card. And once the PIN is set, it can not be changed.

Does this mean PenFed supports online or offline terminal pin verification?
Quote: Yesterday I asked USAA if their card does online or offline. Here is the response I received from USAA:

"The Chip and PIN card can use either an online or offline terminal for verification. As an example of an online terminal, but not limited to would be an ATM machine that connects to USAA. And an example of an offline terminal, again not limited to would be a parking lot that is not attended.

In addition, whether the transaction is processed through an online terminal or an offline terminal is based on what the merchant is using. So, if you have a concern as to which is being used, you may wish to consult directly with the merchant."
I suppose that's comforting as an answer, but it doesn't really answer our questions here, does it? It seems to verify that their card can do either PIN CVM, but doesn't tell us which is preferred, or how they rank against signature verification.
Quote: I suppose that's comforting as an answer, but it doesn't really answer our questions here, does it? It seems to verify that their card can do either PIN CVM, but doesn't tell us which is preferred, or how they rank against signature verification.
Hmm..I didn't get it...why should we care what is preferred?

I thought it means that whatever the terminal supports, whether it tries online or offline, the USAA card will work, and not get rejected in either case?

All I care is that my card should work in both cases, whether a terminal does online or offfline...isn't that the case for USAA MC?

Thanks.
So if their cards can do both types, there are two PINs for one card? How are they going to tell people that if they change the PIN at somewhere other than an ATM, they need to go and stick their card in an ATM in order to change the other PIN?
Quote: Hmm..I didn't get it...why should we care what is preferred?

I thought it means that whatever the terminal supports, whether it tries online or offline, the USAA card will work, and not get rejected in either case?

All I care is that my card should work in both cases, whether a terminal does online or offfline...isn't that the case for USAA MC?

Thanks.
Take a look at my post just upthread (#5142, I think) about the CVM list on my USAA card. The list is presented in priority order, so the card prefers to use offline PIN as its first non-ATM CVM. As I understand the process, the card and the merchant terminal "negotiate" down to the first verification method that both will accept. So, if the merchant terminal does not take offline PIN (encrypted or plaintext), but does accept signature, you'll be asked for a signature. In this case, the option of online PIN won't be considered. But the card might be accepted at another merchant that wants online PIN but won't take offline and won't take signature. Confusing, no?

Want a card that works everywhere you want it to? Good luck with that!

In Europe, I now carry at least 3-4 EMV cards of various flavors and hope that I can get something to work in any situation. As a backup, there's always my handy-dandy Rick Steves money belt with a wad of Euros or pounds or whatever. Have to keep some small bills in there though, since some merchants get crabby about making change.
Quote: So if their cards can do both types, there are two PINs for one card? How are they going to tell people that if they change the PIN at somewhere other than an ATM, they need to go and stick their card in an ATM in order to change the other PIN?
My USAA MC only got one PIN.
It was generated and sent to me, I didn't get to choose it.

Why would it need two PINs?
Quote: So if their cards can do both types, there are two PINs for one card? How are they going to tell people that if they change the PIN at somewhere other than an ATM, they need to go and stick their card in an ATM in order to change the other PIN?
I have only one PIN.

Just because the card has an offline PIN stored on it doesn't mean that the merchant terminal has to accept that form of verification. Maybe it's programmed to prefer a dial-in verification. This is all making my head hurt. I sure wish that the whole issue would go away, but since it's obviously not go to do that on its own, can one of our resident payments industry participants give us some guidance here?
Quote: My USAA MC only got one PIN.
It was generated and sent to me, I didn't get to choose it.

Why would it need two PINs?
See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23092687-post5142.html
Quote: Here's what Cardpeek shows on my USAA MC:

CVM 1 = unattended cash PIN online (for ATM cash draws)
CVM 2 = PIN offline
CVM 3 = plaintext PIN offline
CVM 4 = signature
CVM 5 = PIN online
CVM 6 = no CVM

Note that this is an "old-style" USAA card issued in March 2013, before jeffjaguar's report on his new card's shortcomings. So far, every use of this card at an EMV-enabled location has required me to enter the PIN, no matter how large the transaction (e.g., Walmart), which makes sense given the CVM list entries.

BTW, I kinda think the recent discussion here may be confusing two online/offline issues. There is the online/offline cardholder verification issue (this post), and there is the issue of whether a card's PIN can be changed or not. Seems like two separate issues: answering one doesn't answer the other. Anybody have information to the contrary?
There are apparently two PINs.

By the way what does "No CVM" mean?
Quote: Take a look at my post just upthread (#5142, I think) about the CVM list on my USAA card. The list is presented in priority order, so the card prefers to use offline PIN as its first non-ATM CVM. As I understand the process, the card and the merchant terminal "negotiate" down to the first verification method that both will accept. So, if the merchant terminal does not take offline PIN (encrypted or plaintext), but does accept signature, you'll be asked for a signature. In this case, the option of online PIN won't be considered. But the card might be accepted at another merchant that wants online PIN but won't take offline and won't take signature. Confusing, no?

Want a card that works everywhere you want it to? Good luck with that!

In Europe, I now carry at least 3-4 EMV cards of various flavors and hope that I can get something to work in any situation. As a backup, there's always my handy-dandy Rick Steves money belt with a wad of Euros or pounds or whatever. Have to keep some small bills in there though, since some merchants get crabby about making change.
haha...agree, cash is King! Always good idea to keep some local cash!

I saw your CVM list...from what you described about negotiation, I understand that it's possible that at one location we are asked for signature, 2nd location the negotiation ends up in online, and another location ends with offline.....but the card should still work, right?

If you are saying it's confusing/annoying that one place we have to sign and another place, enter PIN, etc....that I understand, makes sense, and I agree.

But you are not saying that the card will get rejected at some locations, right??
Quote: Guys,

I called PenFed and they say that for their card, we need to select the PIN before the card is printed, because the PIN in coded in the card. And once the PIN is set, it can not be changed.

Does this mean PenFed supports online or offline terminal pin verification?
That's offline PIN.

I once spoke to a rep from Amex (Israel) who said the plan is to have every card have an online and offline PIN. These PINs are *technically* separate and *theoretically,* could be different. However, because that could get confusing, they will keep them both the same. (The benefit, he said, is to give it a wider range of support, including both online and offline terminals.)

If someone wants to change it, it can only be done through an Isracard (issuer of American Express Israel) EMV terminal, where the terminal will re-code the new offline PIN onto the chip while simultaneously changing the online PIN in the network. It will not allow changing of PINs in any other way, including online, over the phone, or at other (non-Isracard) EMV ATMs.
Quote: That's offline PIN.
Hey,

Thanks. I want to understand this a bit better. Can you please explain (or point me to some resource with the answer)?

How did you figure it's offline PIN? And since you say it's offline, does that mean PenFed won't support online terminal pin verification??

Also, USAA say we CAN change the pin. This is new, last year we couldn't change the pin. But PenFed can't change the pin. What does this mean? And what's better or more broad usage?

Thanks.
Quote: Hey,

Thanks. I want to understand this a bit better. Can you please explain (or point me to some resource with the answer)?
Lots of references throughout the thread. While FT's search function is alright, the wiki has some great information.

Quote:
How did you figure it's offline PIN?
Since you said it's hard-coded onto the card and can't be cahnged. Basically, offline means the PIN is stored on the card itself. When purchasing, the terminal checks the card to see if the PIN you entered matches what's saved on the card. "Offline" since it doesn't need to connect to a network to authenticate. Frequent in France, some places in Europe, (rural areas especially,) and on-board flights with no data connectivity. ("Online" means the PIN is stored by the bank in their server, and the terminal connects to their server to see if the PIN you entered matches what's saved in the network.)

Quote:
And since you say it's offline, does that mean PenFed won't support online terminal pin verification??
I have no idea whether all terminals support offline. Some only support offline and not online. But in theory, there's no reason why a terminal (that supports online PIN) shouldn't be able to also support offline - it's a matter of checking the card instead of the network, which requires no additional infrastructure. But I'm not an expert, so someone may correct me on this.

Quote:
Also, USAA say we CAN change the pin. This is new, last year we couldn't change the pin. But PenFed can't change the pin. What does this mean? And what's better or more broad usage?
Being able to change a PIN doesn't necessarily make it online. If you can change it, but only in a terminal, then it's still offline. You may even be able to change it, but you would need to insert your card for that to update. Not being able to change it does indicate that it's offline.