diarrhea vaccine

Subscribe
I have booked my first visit to Bangkok and with the flooding and potential contamination of water supply am considering a cholera/diarrhea vaccine. Is this something that most of you frequent visitors to Bangkok are using?
No. Never. And know of nobody who has done.
Quote: I have booked my first visit to Bangkok and with the flooding and potential contamination of water supply am considering a cholera/diarrhea vaccine. Is this something that most of you frequent visitors to Bangkok are using?
Against light diarrhea take CA-R-BON available at all drug stores around. About 20 baht/6 capsules. It is natural characoal, but enclosed in a capsule. Very easy to swallow.

I would not recomend Imodium. It blocks the "exit" totally.
Quote: I have booked my first visit to Bangkok and with the flooding and potential contamination of water supply am considering a cholera/diarrhea vaccine. Is this something that most of you frequent visitors to Bangkok are using?
There are cholera vaccines available. I think they are all taken by mouth, rather than injection, so not so traumatic They tackle a specific bacterial family, not general causes of diarrhoea.

Diarrhoea you try to avoid (hygiene, sensible food choices). If you get it, local pharmacies will have a range of products to help.
It is unlikely that there is going to be cholera outbreak now. I would just make sure I was up on the normal vaccinations recommended for Thailand. In particular I would make sure that my Typhoid vaccination was up to date. Then follow strict hygiene whilst I was there
It might be worth it to carry some pills of ciprox (ciproflaxacin), it's a strong drug that treats almost any kind of infection.
It's pretty strong, you need a prescription and you should use it only if really needed but in some situation can almost save your life.

My doctor gave it to me when I had to go to Haiti during the cholera outbreak after the earthquake.
Quote: It might be worth it to carry some pills of ciprox (ciproflaxacin), it's a strong drug that treats almost any kind of infection.
It's pretty strong, you need a prescription and you should use it only if really needed but in some situation can almost save your life.
It's available at most pharmacies in Thailand without a prescription.
Dukarol (check sp)
Quote: I would not recomend Imodium. It blocks the "exit" totally.
Exceptionally effective when you are about to go on a long bus/train journey where you might find that useful though.
Quote: Dukarol (check sp)
Dukoral - yes that's what I was referring to.
Go, enjoy and if you do have any stomach "issues" head to the local Boots or Watsons and the phamacy will give you whatever you need. It is not uncommon. If you are really concerned, head to Bumrungrad and for about $50 they will give you a good examination and tell you what kind of bacteria etc caused the problem.

If you are really concerned on your first trip to Thailand just stay conservative on your food and eat mostly at the nicer wester hotels. In talking to most of them they are very strict on hygeine and trained and re-trained constantly. That can be a boring route to take but you can have some good Thai food at western hotels.

My wife who is Thai (now living in the US) even gets a stomach issue now and again as her body has adjusted to the US at this point I reckon.

I used to be more concerned about this sort of thing but not much anymore. I agree with other that Immodium is not preferred as it stops the natural flow completely but I would rather take that than any anti-biotics. Just me. Also, there are times (on a plane for example) that Immodium works perfect for me.

With regards to the current situation on the water supply. Dont most hotels have their own filtering system? I am asking as I thought some hotels did but I honestly do not know.
Quote: Dukoral - yes that's what I was referring to.
As a frequent intl traveler to poor regions, sometime to regions post natural disasters I take Dukoral booster annually after the initial two full doses 7 years ago.
In my experience, Xifaxin (Rifaximin) is very effective for problems caused by E. coli. It is a non-systemic antibiotic, meaning it stays within one's GI system.

Of course it's always best to consult a physician.
I never had a vaccine. Trips to BKK well SGS says I have 50 stays... but then again i never eat street food still brush my teeth with bottled water,eat at well established restaurants and hotels.
I say up to you everyone's immune system is different. I do pack a 10 day supply of anti biotics... someone mentioned Cipro oh yea that will fix most things...I now travel with Levaquin much stronger and about Double the cost.
You mainly want to stay hydrated so take some electolytes or vitamins becasue you will dehydrate from the flight and the weather.

It was also mentioned Brumingrund Hospital for any emergency. I love that place! Like checking in to the Four Seasons LOL..... You can get in and out in usually 45 min, thats seeing a Dr and tests,pharmacy and back to the hotel....and your bill will be about $40-50 USD

I hope you know not to eat the fruit from the carts in the street there was a big thing about it last year about the bacteria from them.
Well thats my 2 cents worth....
Quote: never eat street food ....
Think that is not necessarily the problem IMO. Worst problems I have had in 3rd World countries has always been big hotels, at least with street food you can see the conditions they are cooking in. Everyone's experience differs but that's been mine.
Agree you should wash fruit though, absolutely.