Avoiding thru checking baggage with IB for a LENGTHY layover in MAD?

Subscribe
Hi all,

Flying back with IB on LIM-MAD-LHR-NCL in August. For some reason, I couldn't get the cheapest fares on the 2055 departure ex-LIM so we're having to take the lunchtime flight. This means that (on this very cheap fare) we HAVE to spend 7hrs 50 in MAD and about 5hrs in LHR.

Personally, T4 at MAD is shiny and new but has very little to do for almost 8 hours so we'd like to go into the city. To do this, I'm pretty sure we can't go through customs without all our luggage which by default will be through-checked all the way to NCL. Is there any way I can get the agent in LIM to check the bags through only as far as MAD? This way we can spend a decent amount of time in the city and be back for checkin for LHR in the afternoon? We're all UK citizens so no issues re visas etc.

I also don't imagine we'd be able to pick up our bags, clear customs, check them straight in again, and then head off into town?

Any help much appreciated, because after months away it would be nice not have to spend yet another day stuck in an airport!
Why not check them through all the way and leave the airport without your bags? No one will ever know (regardless I don't think there's a rule against it)
Good idea - why short-check them? See if you can check them through and - go to the City. (Just don't try taking coal to NCL...)
I did think of just thru checking back to NCL but am
I not going to get hauled over in MAD for going thru customs without my bags?? Or is this unlikely to be an issue?
I've never had to retrieve and clear baggage in customs in MAD, whether en route to or from Schengen or non-Schengen countries, whether IB through connecton or changing airlines. I do not think there will be a problem.

Quote: I did think of just thru checking back to NCL but am
I not going to get hauled over in MAD for going thru customs without my bags?? Or is this unlikely to be an issue?
No, you only cause an issue if you do not turn up for the flight and then they call "NCL_MEDIC we will be removing your luggage" over the PA system a few times to get you to the aircraft, before having to off-load your luggage from the aircraft.
Who is going to know that you have checked bags? I have never seen any paperwork inspected at the green channel in MAD!