If you could fly F only one direction which would you choose?

Subscribe
Most of us do not have enough miles to fly F r/t to HI once or twice a year. But if you had enough miles to fly F in one direction, which would it be? Assume that you fly over during the early morning/afternoon and return on the dreaded redeye.

I'm leaning toward F on the redeye return. A little easier to sleep with a larger seat. What do you think?

I know this question could apply to a lot of destinations but I'm specifically interested in feedback on HI trips.
I would almost certainly go F on the return flight. Good way to smoothen the transition from vacation (I assume) back to your normal routine. I assume you have sufficient status for whatever airline that you'd get access to the priority services that you'd get in F anyway, and I'm sure you can get yourself set for food in the airport or before you leave.
Phil,

It would definitely be the return for me.... especially if you are doing a redeye. Much easier to sleep.

Going out, I would be excitied about the trip and working on plans and talking about the tirp... so first class - while nice - would not be a critical.

William
Quote: I would almost certainly go F on the return flight. Good way to smoothen the transition from vacation (I assume) back to your normal routine. I assume you have sufficient status for whatever airline that you'd get access to the priority services that you'd get in F anyway, and I'm sure you can get yourself set for food in the airport or before you leave.
Quote: Phil,

It would definitely be the return for me.... especially if you are doing a redeye. Much easier to sleep.

Going out, I would be excitied about the trip and working on plans and talking about the tirp... so first class - while nice - would not be a critical.

William
Good feedback and I concur. This will also make my miles last years longer.
Doing this in December - coach out, first back. Especially helpful with the sleep if you're going to work after that red eye...
I'd go with the outbound for the upgrade (longer flight due to jet stream), unless the return is a redeye. Definitely upgrade redeyes whenever possible.
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agree on the logic above. Plus a bigger seat and free alcohol might help with the sunburn.
Sounds like someone is speaking from experience.....

Quote: Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agree on the logic above. Plus a bigger seat and free alcohol might help with the sunburn.
Everyone's logic makes perfect sense, yet I do the exact opposite!

I always upgrade SFO-HNL in advance. I get to enjoy dinner with drinks (I miss the Mai Tais) and a movie or two. A confirmed upgrade is a great way to start off a weekend trip to the islands.

On the redeye return, the food options are limited, so I grab a nice meal in Waikiki or even at HNL. And an Ambien ensures that I sleep through the whole flight, so I don't care if I get upgraded or not. Works for me everytime.
The key is to be EXP on AA. Then you don't have to worry about it. I've missed the free upgrade once in six years (going 3-5 times a year). All that said, from the West Coast, it doesn't really matter. From the middle of the country or the east coast, definitely, I'd prefer to upgrade on the redeye.
I agree that from the West Coast it's not that big a deal (SFO to LIH is roughly the same as SFO to JFK), but if I had to choose I'd upgrade the red-eye first (easier to sleep), or if both flights are day flights then I'd upgrade going TO Hawaii. That way I get to start my vacation nicely relaxed. Coming back to reality, I'm already resigned to it :-)
No doubt about it. I'd take the redeye on the return flight. It's the difference between coming back feeling refreshed or like a zombie. In fact, I've booked coach out, first back before and loved it.
A few days after starting this thread I got an email from UA that our Y award flts. were being changed. Grrrrr! I checked the AS website and found F seats fron BOI>Hawaii that work great. I called UA and they cancelled our flts. and our miles where redeposited with no fees (they were adding another stop to our itinerary). Now we get to fly BOTH ways in F because we each had 38-39K AS miles that we were having trouble using. But, in future years, it might be Y over and F home.