Eloping in Thailand - how to arrange Buddhist blessing ceremony?

Subscribe
Friends are planning their escape to Thailand where they plan to wed.

The legal requirements are straight-forward and laid out on the US Consulate web site.

However, they would like to have a Buddhist Blessing Ceremony, or some such thing.

Does any one know how to arrange such a ceremony? WHom do you ask? What do pay? Wear? Where?

Thanks in Advance.
What are they looking to do? a legal marriage or they just want a budist ceremony? one is legal one is not.
Where do they want to do this Bangkok? an Island resort? in a village? Do they know anyone in Thailand? If not I would suggest contacting Seanthe Pilot on here. He is a canadian lives in Phuket.

If they are staying at a resort the staff there could arrange everything.

If they are going to Bangkok I know someone that could make whatever they want happen.

Regarding costs well depends on where and what they want.

A little more information would be helpful.
Quote: What are they looking to do? a legal marriage or they just want a budist ceremony? one is legal one is not.
Where do they want to do this Bangkok? an Island resort? in a village? Do they know anyone in Thailand? If not I would suggest contacting Seanthe Pilot on here. He is a canadian lives in Phuket.

If they are staying at a resort the staff there could arrange everything.

If they are going to Bangkok I know someone that could make whatever they want happen.

Regarding costs well depends on where and what they want.

A little more information would be helpful.
Thank you for your reply.

They are eloping. Both are once divorced and don't want to drop $50k on a wedding, as would be expected from their families if they got married, yada, yada.

They selected Thailand because of the SEA countries they are visiting in the winter, they are there the longest (seven days) and unlike Bali, Indonesia, you can get a civil marriage without a religious ceremony.

They would like a Buddhist blessing ceremony because both admire buddhism and both would like to have something special to go with their eloping.

How to do the civil marriage is not a problem. They received all they needed from the American Embassy Thailand website. They will handle that in three or four days.

How to pay a lot of money to a hotel to arrange a ceremony is also not a problem (just not desired.)

What they would like is to arrange a monk to allow them to come to a Wat and perform a simple blessing while they wear white linen outfits and someone takes a few photos. I am told monks do not perform wedding ceremonies, but will bless a couple.

Some friends in Thailand have suggested simply going to the Wat, finding the abbey, and then explaining to them what you want. A few days later, come back and get it. Is it really this simple?

Bottom line - they are spending what they would have paid for the wedding on the vacation/ honeymoon, so they want to have a simple ceremony after they have the civil marriage (said marriage already "arranged" if you will.)

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Quote: Thank you for your reply.

They are eloping. Both are once divorced and don't want to drop $50k on a wedding, as would be expected from their families if they got married, yada, yada.

They selected Thailand because of the SEA countries they are visiting in the winter, they are there the longest (seven days) and unlike Bali, Indonesia, you can get a civil marriage without a religious ceremony.

They would like a Buddhist blessing ceremony because both admire buddhism and both would like to have something special to go with their eloping.

How to do the civil marriage is not a problem. They received all they needed from the American Embassy Thailand website. They will handle that in three or four days.

How to pay a lot of money to a hotel to arrange a ceremony is also not a problem (just not desired.)

What they would like is to arrange a monk to allow them to come to a Wat and perform a simple blessing while they wear white linen outfits and someone takes a few photos. I am told monks do not perform wedding ceremonies, but will bless a couple.

Some friends in Thailand have suggested simply going to the Wat, finding the abbey, and then explaining to them what you want. A few days later, come back and get it. Is it really this simple?

Bottom line - they are spending what they would have paid for the wedding on the vacation/ honeymoon, so they want to have a simple ceremony after they have the civil marriage (said marriage already "arranged" if you will.)

Thanks in advance for your reply.
To arrange the ceremony, it is not hard for local but for foreigner .It is another story. From your post, cost is not an issue so how about go to wedding planner in BKK, explain your situation .I am sure they will arrange it for you in timely manner.

There are many wedding organizer but their websites are in Thai . Try google " wedding planner in BKK" you will see ton of result .

To estimate about the cost, it should be less than 15,000 - 20,000 Bath not more than this for simple ceremony.