Idiot question: 3G USB key and WiFi

Subscribe
I am travelling in Europe and I had purchased a 3G USB key the last time. I asked if there was some addition to make it work as a WiFi. They said no and tried selling me something around 100 Euro. Is that really my only option ??? I like my iPad and that's why I want a WiFi connection...
What device are you attempting to connect to wifi, is it a laptop?

3G dongles have no way of being used for this purpose.
Quote: What device are you attempting to connect to wifi, is it a laptop?

3G dongles have no way of being used for this purpose.
Thanks for the quick confirmation. I'll be getting the Vodafone wi-fi thing tomorrow. As to your question; iPad.
3G is cellular data, provided my your cellular/mobile phone carrier. It is a completely different standard running on a different frequency from wifi. They are two unrelated technologies.

There are possibly some 3G dongles that include a wifi adapter, but I have never seen one.
Quote: Thanks for the quick confirmation. I'll be getting the Vodafone wi-fi thing tomorrow. As to your question; iPad.
I'm confused. Doesn't your iPad already have wifi built in?

It sounds like what you need is the ability to access wifi hotspots in various regions. So you need some sort of service plan for that.

Is that what you're looking for?
Quote: I am travelling in Europe and I had purchased a 3G USB key the last time. I asked if there was some addition to make it work as a WiFi. They said no and tried selling me something around 100 Euro. Is that really my only option ??? I like my iPad and that's why I want a WiFi connection...
Did you buy the 3g version of the ipad or the wifi only or wifi+verizon version?

If you bought the 3g version, all you need is a micro-sim for a provider where you are going. It has 3g built-in. If you bought a different version, then you are looking for something like a mifi, which is a cellular data modem + personal wifi hotspot in one small device. I have no idea who provides them in Europe, but if you can find an unlocked version of it that would probably be best. There are similar devices, I think, that work with usb cellular data modems, but I've never used any of them personally.

-David
Vodafone sells for circa $99 a 3G wifi router called "Pocket wifi" which attaches up to 5 devices using wifi to the 3G connection ... so that can service your laptop, ipad, etc. simultaneously. It isn't a USB stick, but rather a small standalone device (roughly phone size/shape) and has about 5 hours runtime on its battery.
How portable do you need it to be? There is such thing as a wireless 3G router which accept a 3G dongle, such as this one (one example of many).
If you have a Laptop which runs Win7 - you can use a program called connectify to make it a Wi-Fi Hotspot and share the internet to the iPad
First, you don't need any programs to make a hotspot out of a computer. If you connect the 3G dongle to a computer running any OS, you can then create a peer-to-peer (also known as ad-hoc) network and share the internet connection with other devices. instructions for windows, ubuntu instructions. If you get a router it becomes easier, but again, it's not necessary.
Instructions for Mac OS X here if required.
Have you considered paying for a Boingo subscription for a month or so while you're over there? I have found they have pretty good 'roaming' agreements with other wifi networks. It's pretty cheap for just one month.
Quote: I am travelling in Europe and I had purchased a 3G USB key the last time. I asked if there was some addition to make it work as a WiFi. They said no and tried selling me something around 100 Euro. Is that really my only option ??? I like my iPad and that's why I want a WiFi connection...
For your first question, a cradlepoint PHS300 is what you are looking. Basically a battery powered wireless router that allows you to plug in usb-key.

If you are using iPad, check out Skype Wifi which they just launched yesterday for iOS. Seems promissing for 6-22cents / min and good for checking email/fb/tweeter stuff.