Baggage allowance on a multi-city intinerary

Subscribe
Hi gang!

So I have a multi-city trip coming up, and I know that if your upgrade is confirmed into First or Business, you get 70 lbs a bag vs. the 50 lbs. per bag.

I'd like to take advantage of the extra 20 lbs. in extra bag (checking 2 bags), but here is my concern:

I'll be traveling PDX-SEA, then 2 days after, SEA-SFO, then 2 days after, SFO-LAX, then 2 days later, LAX-CLE via ORD. The flight from PDX-SEA is on a Skywest EMB-120, so obviously, there are no First or Business cabins available. However, I will have the chance to be upgraded to First on my 4 other segments. Knowing so, would it be possible to still take advantage of the 70 lbs. per bag at no charge, or will I be forced to only be able to check 2 bags for free at 50 lbs.?

Any advice would be appreciated!
you would pay for the 70lb bag on the 1 leg?, then hope for the next 4 ug and pay for any that you don't get?....

do you need the extra 20 lb at each stop?....do the bags get lighter as you go from place to place?....maybe ship some stuff to a later stop...i don't know the cost of a 70# checked bag, but you are looking at from 0 to 5 fees....good luck...
I'm flying back to college after a summer home. I'm just visiting friends in SEA, SFO, and LAX, so no. The bags will not be getting lighter...
You would not be able to take advantage of the extra weight without the upgrade clearing, and you having a boarding pass showing that. So you would pay to check the extra weight when you start.

It would probably be much easier to pack some of it in a box and UPS it back to school (ground, seems like you have some time for it to get there) and not worry about it at all. I'm pretty sure you will pay the fees for each leg, as they will not be checking your bags all the way through.

Not sure about United, but Continental for example makes it very clear, you have to have the upgrade cleared when dropping off the bags to get the fee waived, and your upgrades probably won't clear in time for the first flight.
Thanks for the feedback thus far. I'm hoping when I board for my flight to SEA, I will have already known if I got the upgrade or not, since my flight from SEA-SFO is 48 hours away. I'll cross my fingers!
By the way - you can forget the UDUs. So you can stick with 50lb.

Based on your routes, it does not seem you have the chance for the upgrade.