How early should I arrive at IAD (Fri. 1 July)?

Subscribe
Hi everyone-

I'm traveling on AA 993 to Miami departing Dulles at 6 am on this coming Friday (July 1). I will be checking bags and this journey will ultimately end in Tegucigalpa Honduras (thus making it an international itinerary). How early should I arrive at IAD on Friday? I was planning on being there at 4am to be on the safe side. Should I be earlier? How busy will the AA counter at IAD be around 4am on a Friday? Thanks for the help!
Quote: Hi everyone-

I'm traveling on AA 993 to Miami departing Dulles at 6 am on this coming Friday (July 1). I will be checking bags and this journey will ultimately end in Tegucigalpa Honduras (thus making it an international itinerary). How early should I arrive at IAD on Friday? I was planning on being there at 4am to be on the safe side. Should I be earlier? How busy will the AA counter at IAD be around 4am on a Friday? Thanks for the help!
That's plenty of time. Whenever I travel, and I want to be safe, I plan for 30 mins of checkin and 30 mins of security. Never missed a flight.
Quote: Hi everyone-

4am should be plenty early! 4.30am should be fine also. Do you have any status with AA or OW? If so, no need to be so early. Similar question to yours asked and answered here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...ty-6-7-am.html
Try the online check in with AA the night before, so hopefully you just need to drop the bags in the morning. Assuming you meant arriving at the terminal at 4am, the counter first opens 15 minutes later so you can sleep just a little later. Not sure what time TSA shows up, but I am fairly certain they will nit be staffed for whoever shows up, sonitbwill be slow. That said, the airport is dead at that hour so you should have no problem at all with making your flight.
Quote: Try the online check in with AA the night before, so hopefully you just need to drop the bags in the morning. Assuming you meant arriving at the terminal at 4am, the counter first opens 15 minutes later so you can sleep just a little later. Not sure what time TSA shows up, but I am fairly certain they will nit be staffed for whoever shows up, sonitbwill be slow. That said, the airport is dead at that hour so you should have no problem at all with making your flight.
TSA is a 24hour operation at IAD. The main checkpoints are open from 5AM-10PM. If you desire to go through security between 10PM-5AM, you need to go through Employee Security, which is located in the baggage claim level, 1 level below ticketing. This checkpoint is located next to baggage claim 8.
Quote: TSA is a 24hour operation at IAD. The main checkpoints are open from 5AM-10PM. If you desire to go through security between 10PM-5AM, you need to go through Employee Security, which is located in the baggage claim level, 1 level below ticketing. This checkpoint is located next to baggage claim 8.
Interesting tidbit, ^
What does the airline say? Hopefully parking isn't bad, and the parking lot shuttles are operating on a regular basis that early.
I wouldn't show up before 5 am.... If you are worried then maybe 04:50 to be safe.
Thanks for the information everyone! I really appreciate it!
5 AM.