AY connecting to CX baggage allowance?

Subscribe
I wish airlines make it clear showing relevant examples on their website based on new IATA regulations. It is not the case with Finnair, hence my question:

WAW-HEL-HKG-AKL

First part all the way to HKG is operated by AY while HKG-AKL by CX. So which airline baggage allowance would be considered on such route? Would it be the same on the way back?

Finnair is much more generous in terms of baggage allowance than Cathay but it would be stupid to fly with few bags based on AY "piece concept" and then pay per kilo on the way back
If it's all on the same ticket then the most generous allowance is used. Don't you have the allowance stated on the ticket (e-ticket receipt) anyway..?
Quote: If it's all on the same ticket then the most generous allowance is used. Don't you have the allowance stated on the ticket (e-ticket receipt) anyway..?
I don't have a ticket yet, hence my questions. Are you sure that the most generous allowance apply? Is there any source I can verify this and print in case of any check-in dispute?
Quote: I don't have a ticket yet, hence my questions. Are you sure that the most generous allowance apply? Is there any source I can verify this and print in case of any check-in dispute?
EDIT: OK, if there's a recent IATA rule about this...please ignore my advises...allowance is rarely an issue to me so my data might be outdated here..

apologies,
I've had the same issue. My understanding is that it is the lowest allowance you should use as a guide.

I am flying LHR-HEL-BKK-SYD-SIN-HEL-LHR on AY, BA & QF. I am having to use the QF allowance of 30kgs in total across multiple bags.
The IATA rule is resolution 302 which came into effect April 1, 2011. The "Most Significant Carrier" applies, which in the OP's example is CX. If OP had flown AY HEL-HKG then CX HKG-AKL then the AY allowance would apply in both directions for all sectors. If the routing had been BA WAW-LHR QF LHR-HKG CX HKG-AKL then the QF allowance would apply, both directions. The rule is complex, also different if the US is involved (as the US DOT has rules that over-ride parts of the IATA resolution). Note that this affects both baggage allowance and fees for excess baggage -- the latter can be far more significant on some routes.
So as the most significant parts of my trip are in AY (LHR-BKK/SIN via HEL) that the AY baggage allowance should apply?
Quote: The IATA rule is resolution 302 which came into effect April 1, 2011. The "Most Significant Carrier" applies, which in the OP's example is CX. If OP had flown AY HEL-HKG then CX HKG-AKL then the AY allowance would apply in both directions for all sectors. If the routing had been BA WAW-LHR QF LHR-HKG CX HKG-AKL then the QF allowance would apply, both directions. The rule is complex, also different if the US is involved (as the US DOT has rules that over-ride parts of the IATA resolution). Note that this affects both baggage allowance and fees for excess baggage -- the latter can be far more significant on some routes.
So AY HEL-HKG then CX HKG-AKL = AY allowance
but AY WAW-HEL-HKG then CX HKG-AKL = CX allowance?

This is what you are suggesting, so I am bit confused now.
Quote: So AY HEL-HKG then CX HKG-AKL = AY allowance
but AY WAW-HEL-HKG then CX HKG-AKL = CX allowance?

This is what you are suggesting, so I am bit confused now.
No, what I wrote was for HEL-HKG(AY)-AKL(CX) it was the AY allowance. I misread your post and thought for some reason you were flying AY only for WAW-HEL and not HEL-HKG. So, AY is the MSC for this trip and the AY allowance applies to the entire trip. Sorry for the confusion, I know CX doesn't fly to HEL (and back).

The MSC rule is the airline flying between IATA areas (Europe/Middle East/Africa is one area, and Asia/Pacific is another area), if not flying between areas then it is airline flying between subareas, and if the whole trip is within a single subarea, then the airline flying the first international sector. For this trip HEL-HKG is the sector that determines which airline is most significant carrier.
Quote: No, what I wrote was for HEL-HKG(AY)-AKL(CX) it was the AY allowance. I misread your post and thought for some reason you were flying AY only for WAW-HEL and not HEL-HKG. So, AY is the MSC for this trip and the AY allowance applies to the entire trip. Sorry for the confusion, I know CX doesn't fly to HEL (and back).

The MSC rule is the airline flying between IATA areas (Europe/Middle East/Africa is one area, and Asia/Pacific is another area), if not flying between areas then it is airline flying between subareas, and if the whole trip is within a single subarea, then the airline flying the first international sector. For this trip HEL-HKG is the sector that determines which airline is most significant carrier.
Thanks. So for the return trip it would be the same (AY allowance), despite CX operates its first international sector AKL-HKG?
Quote: Thanks. So for the return trip it would be the same (AY allowance), despite CX operates its first international sector AKL-HKG?
Yes. That is the point of this new IATA rule (the problem it is fixing); to make the rules the same for all parts of the same trip. Unfortunately the implementation has been problematic for most airlines, but if there is a problem reference IATA resolution 302 and they will just wave you through