Fairmont Kea Lani or Ritz Kapalua in July

Subscribe
Hello All,
First of all a general note of thank you to all who have written/contributed to threads on Hawaii as it has been invaluable in my planning of my honeymoon in 5 weeks from now!

Here is our itinerary:

June 28th-29th land in oahu, overnight at JW Marriott Ihilani (ocean view)
June 29th-July 5th, Big island, Fairmont Orchid (partial ocean view)
July 5th- july 12th Maui, Ritz Kapalua (deluxe room)
July 12th-18th Kauai, Grand hyatt Kauai (mountain view)
July 18th-20th Oahu, JW marriott Ihilani (ocean view)

I got the cheapest prices possible for these rooms. Now I'm having a dilemma though as the FAF rate of $299 for the fairmont kea lani has just become available. I am really divided between the Kea Lani and the Ritz. I think the weather isn't really a factor as Kapalua is supposed to be beautiful in July. Both hotels seem really great however. We're not looking to be in a bustling place, that's why we're not staying in Kaanapali. What would you wise people recommend?
Many thanks!!
The Ritz (which was recently auctioned off after the owners were foreclosed on, but is reportedly still going to remain a Ritz property) is MUCH more secluded than the Fairmont Kea Lani. It's like a little island of its own. The Fairmont is a huge property, at the end of resort row, and has great pools so it'll be teeming with kids in the summer.

The Ritz is a much better choice for a romantic honeymoon, IMO. There are two downsides to the Ritz, however. 1) It's not directly on the beach, but a 5-15 minute walk from your room to the beach. 2) Being so far north and so secluded, it's not on an oceanside walking path like the Fairmont, so you won't be able to walk to other resorts (and their restaurants).

But if your #1 priority is seclusion, then the Ritz is the place for you.
Thanks for your advice. All things considered, I think I'll stick with the Ritz. Do you happen to know which rooms would be considered more luxurious? I know that the rooms at the fairmont are much bigger, but I've heard that they're dated. Any truth to that? I prefer luxury over space...
The Kea Lani has two pools. One in for couples. So there should be no assumption that you would be among a bunch of kids. Second Kea Lani can easily give the same secluded feeling if that is what one prefers.

Being on the beach is great. An easy walk to see the sunset should not be so easy dismissed.
The kea lani rooms have just been remodeled and look spectacular.
All rooms there are 2 room suites with a huge bathrooms
The rooms have never been "dated".
To check out the company who did the remodel go to www.islanddesigncenter or islanddesign.com.
A local, to Maui, design firm.
To give you somewhat of an idea, here are aerial shots of each.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrritzcarlton.html
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrfairmontkealani.html

Oh, and if you want more space, you can rent some really awesome condos at Polo Beach Club directly from the owners via VRBO. All the perks of being in Wailea with far fewer people. And look at those killer views!
Now I'm ever more confused! This should be my greatest problem in life...
I have stayed at both the Fairmont and the Ritz. Personally, I absolutely love Wailea, so that gives a huge nod to the Fairmont. However, the Ritz is an absolutely spectacular property, and the spa is phenomenal. My wife and I are returning to Maui this summer, and we are actually staying at the Ritz. This is mainly because of some Ritz Carlton promotional certificates I need to use.

There is no way to go wrong with either choice. In Kapalua, you'll end up spending more time in Lahaina. If you go with the Kea Lani, you'll likely go to dinner in Wailea and Kihei on most nights. Wailea is also closer to Haleakala in case you are interested in that.
The Fairmont Orchid used to be a Ritz.. so great choice for the Big Island..

The North end of the island is lower temperature, more windy.. Ritz Kapalua is quite a ways walk to the beach..

Wailea is the most luxurious area in all of the islands.. That is why Grand Wailea, Four Seasons and the Fairmont enjoy their locations in Wailea.. Haleakala actually acts like a shield to the wind and rain somewhat.. I find it very warm there compared to the rest of Maui..

I've often referred The Fairmont Kea Lani as Heaven on Earth.. Our stay this last spring break was on the tail end of a 24 night spring break vacation.. and both my wife and I did not want to leave.. kids loved it in the pool.. it was nice and warm.. couldn't ask for a more perfect vacation.. We already booked plane tickets for next year..

Real Estate values are triple in Wailea than in Ka'anapali.. maybe twice that of Kapalua? The 4 plexes ocean front beside Fairmont Kea Lani was going for $4 million each.. one 4 plex is 2,800 sq ft.
Quote: Now I'm ever more confused! This should be my greatest problem in life...
I was, too, my first trip to Maui. Now I realize that they're all good. Pick one and then quit stressing about it.
Quote: Now I'm ever more confused! This should be my greatest problem in life...
Both are GREAT locations. You'll be happy with either one. NEXT trip to Maui you can stay in whichever one you don't choose this trip
Quote: Both are GREAT locations. You'll be happy with either one. NEXT trip to Maui you can stay in whichever one you don't choose this trip
I agree..

If Ritz Kapalua ever became a Fairmont.. I would be there too..
Is it true that there is no Wi-fi available in the rooms at the fairmont kea lani?
Quote: Is it true that there is no Wi-fi available in the rooms at the fairmont kea lani?
Actually.. you should call in and check.. because they were supposed to have added this feature in all of the rooms during last years' renovation. Easy enough to do..

We were just at the Kea Lani for spring break.. and I think they may have this feature, although I hard wired the internet connection into my lap top. I know the Fairmont Orchid on the big island definitely has this feature, because I've had it twice in two years.. one in a garden view suite, and this spring break in the ocean front suite.
We've stayed at both places within the past 5 years or so.

Perhaps this was before recent renovations, but, IMO, the Ritz was much nicer.

My wife couldn't get over the "cottage cheese ceilings" in the Fairmont. Not the sign of a luxury hotel.

I also prefer the feeling of seclusion.