Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6'7" does not fit in middle seat

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
How much are you planning to offer? It would take at least $100 for me to switch to a middle for that long of a flight.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
Originally Posted by mpattdu
How much are you planning to offer? It would take at least $100 for me to switch to a middle for that long of a flight.
you would ?
I'd pay you $100 just to see what you'd be like at the end of it.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I'm 6'7" too so I definitely feel your pain. If you are a Delta flyer, getting elite status is critical and the good thing is that you don't need to step foot on a plane. You could have Silver medallion for simply getting an Amex Platinum and advancing yourself the 50,000 points needed to qualify for this promotion which would get you silver (read- free exit rows) until February 2013.

Otherwise, be super nice to gate agents and flight attendants and you should be fine. I recently did 3 TATLs on 757s and while its not comfortable, the trip it totally doable in exit or bulkhead.

FYI I flew KLM economy comfort recently and it was fantastic (for an economy product). Air France's premium economy also looks nice and you get 150% MQMs and those fares are sometimes only a couple hundred more.

Last edited by thepointsguy; May 6, 2011 at 8:38 am Reason: typo
Old May 6, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Im the same height as well and was going to give you a hard time until I saw it was TATL...no thanks. Best way is to try to get mqm cc bonuses for silver and pick exit rows. I wonder if you call and tell them the situation you might get a bulkhead.

Ten or so hours in a middle coach seat at 6'7" is torture. I can fit, but basically am immobile.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpattdu
Sold!
Old May 6, 2011, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
I'm 6'7" too so I definitely feed your pain. If you are a Delta flyer, getting elite status is critical and the good thing is that you don't need to step foot on a plane. You could have Silver medallion for simply getting an Amex Platinum and advancing yourself the 50,000 points needed to qualify for this promotion which would get you silver (read- free exit rows) until February 2013.
Great link, thanks I'm all over it
Old May 6, 2011, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Honestly this is a situation where loyalty goes out the window and the cheapest Biz ticket is what you go with. If you cannot afford it or your employer refuses to pay for it then I guess you have to torture yourself but there are plenty of great business class deals over the pond. One I have used several times is Iceland air. They fly 757s and you connect in Reykjavik (sunshine at midnight is a trip..) but it is a good J service and far better than Y for about $2200-$2500.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Just back from Ireland on DL (DFW/ATL/DUB & RTN). Even at 6'2", 230, only the aisle seat was beyond total discomfort, and to top it off the IFE wasn't working (the usual badly worn pin socket detents, an ancient problem DL appears unwilling/unable to address) going over which got me free drinks. Coming back TATL, the seat back lock was broken and again the IFE audio non-functioning which got us moved to an empty 3 in "Economy Comfort", nearly as comfortable as BE. The worst part wasa window from ATL to DFW in the near rear of a 757 "Seegar" with the usual reclining recliner in front of me.

31" seat pitch would qualify as torture if administered by the CIA.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Right now Delta is offering a discount Business class fare from LAX-FCO DIRECT on Alitalia for $3200 all in. THAT is a deal.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thepointsguy

FYI I flew KLM economy comfort recently and it was fantastic (for an economy product). Air France's premium economy also looks nice and you get 150% MQMs and those fares are sometimes only a couple hundred more.
The Economy Comfort seats are not showing us as available for purchase on my flight. I would definitely pay the extra to purchase one. Since they are new to Delta does this have to be done with the GA? (I'm assuming GA means Gate Agent, still trying to pick up the lingo around here!).
Old May 6, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by ElStretcho
The Economy Comfort seats are not showing us as available for purchase on my flight. I would definitely pay the extra to purchase one. Since they are new to Delta does this have to be done with the GA? (I'm assuming GA means Gate Agent, still trying to pick up the lingo around here!).
I think its only for sale officially on flights after June 1, but most likely your flight will have it if its May. I'd ask the gate agent very nicely- I find they usually take pity on us giants!
Old May 6, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by pointy
you would ?
I'd pay you $100 just to see what you'd be like at the end of it.
Originally Posted by ElStretcho
Sold!
Well, it would be my wife that has the window seat so you'd actually probably get the aisle for free
Old May 6, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a similar height and do sympathize, that is the reason why I maintain top status on the carriers I fly and why I generally fly upfront. In your situatioon I would call repeatedly and see if Comfort was available.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should add that as stated by some above, DL has roughly the exact same pitch as most other airlines, so while I understand your dread the seat/pitch/etc. I do not understand your vitriol towards Delta as you could easily be in the exact same situation with any other carrier on this routing, and many of them do not offer a Comfort or E+ cabin.....
Old May 6, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
You can claim that you are "vertically challenged" and ask Delta to comply with the ADA by finding a seat that will accommodate someone of your height. They might be sensitive to this claim since they have recently received several fines for non-compliance. The ADA has a very broad definition of disability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.