CNN: JFK AirTrain Security Risks

Subscribe
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/09/new....html?hpt=Sbin

Quote:
Officials: Serious lapses in security on JFK airport shuttle

A number of security lapses in an airport shuttle system in New York is raising concerns among some Port Authority officers and state senators.

"Among the cops it's commonly referred to as a possible weapons delivery system," said one Port Authority Police official of the AirTrain shuttle system that ferries thousands of passengers to and from John F. Kennedy International Airport. The official did not want to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The lack of security on the system -- an eight-mile fully automated, unmanned railroad -- was discussed Friday at a state homeland security hearing to discuss vulnerabilities that still remain 10 years after the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington.

"There's no scanning of bags, there's no scanning of passengers," said state Sen. Greg Ball, who is also the chairman of the New York State Homeland Security Committee. "We should have uniformed personnel on that transportation corridor, we don't."

Police Benevolent Association Vice President Robert Morris described it simply as "a bad situation," pointing out that the airport shuttle trains enter the international arrivals building of the airport directly underneath departures where airlines such as El Al operate.

"Port Authority's own security study prior to the deployment of that system was for 18 police officers a day to police the system. Three tours of duty a day, 365 days a year," Morris told the panel. "In the last 12 months we've had 40 tours, which is about two weeks' worth of coverage with one officer.".....

And this snippet kinda strikes me funny as isn't this the same agency that runs EWR as well and whose cameras didn't work when "wrong way Corrigan" entered thru the exit because he wanted to suck face with his girlfriend and caused a 3+ hour terminal dump?

Quote:
The Port Authority said in a statement Friday that there is no lapse in security.

"The way the PAPD is deployed, as well as cameras and the entirety of our security apparatus, means the traveling public should feel safe within all of the Port Authority facilities," the statement said.
Whatever can be done with the JFK AirTrain that can't be done by or in a ground or underground vehicle? .. .and the NYC-area subway checks area ridiculous joke too, so that as role model for the JFK AirTrain is a non-starter (except in the heads of a variety of clowns).

The cops want more jobs so they make the rail sound dangerous. They should go after the bus services that offer transport, too. And the hotel shuttles. And the taxis.....
In another shocking, shocking major security lapse, NYC Homeland Security officials noticed a person or group of people and their bags could enter a private automobile transportation system in San Diego, California, and drive 2804 miles all the way to Time Square. "There's no scanning of bags, there's no scanning of passengers on that transportation corridor."
Ah, The "no photography zone"

Can't even take a photo of the sign that says Welcome to JFK where the AirTrain starts without being hounded.

It's an unmanned, automatic train where they ding you $5 for the one-way trip.

Welcome to New York.

Edit to add: Tram is above ground - doesn't really go into any terminal, but is connected by above roadway bridges, including the "International Arrivals Building" - IAB. Just about every terminal at JFK is an international arrivals terminal with an FIS. The IAB is also known as T4, will soon be vacated primarily for DL, as I understand it.

Anyways, Welcome to New York.
lol that train is the safest place in Jamaica, Queens. As another poster said, there's nothing one can do to that train that they couldn't do to the subway or LIRR that connect to it. A bomb in a tunnel underneath Penn Station would be much more devistating that a bomb on the AirTrain.

--Jon
The AirTrain is 98% above ground, but does enter tunnels a couple of times to avoid roadways. But, as best I know, does not go underneath a terminal or anything like that.

Quote: Edit to add: Tram is above ground - doesn't really go into any terminal, but is connected by above roadway bridges, including the "International Arrivals Building" - IAB. Just about every terminal at JFK is an international arrivals terminal with an FIS. The IAB is also known as T4, will soon be vacated primarily for DL, as I understand it.
--Jon
Quote: Ah, The "no photography zone"

Can't even take a photo of the sign that says Welcome to JFK where the AirTrain starts without being hounded.

I don't likes AirTrain employees who harassment me and she was trying follow me to next stations at T4 & T3/T2. I do not appreciate it for her behaviors. Should we can put all AirTrains employees on restraining order and it will away from JFK property by 500 feet. I can't stand it AirTrain employees that she was trying threatening to me. They will eventually to firing AirTrain employees and it will kicks out of JFK immediately.
There are no scans on the HNL-Waikiki shuttlebus nor TheBus lines 19 and 20 which both serve HNL airport. Line 19 even serves Hickham AFB... Maybe we should put smurfs on every signgle bus stop around the route? I mean the New York Senators argument here doesn't make sense at all. That means they should put a NoS in front of every home so every resident needs to be scanned before he or she is even allowed to get out. The Congress can impeach the president and other government officials, but who can impeach the Congress? The real problem here is that both the Democrats and the Republicans support TSA. Until the Americans don't switch to a third party change will never happen.
Quote: The AirTrain is 98% above ground, but does enter tunnels a couple of times to avoid roadways. But, as best I know, does not go underneath a terminal or anything like that.
You are correct.

Bruce
Quote: The AirTrain is 98% above ground, but does enter tunnels a couple of times to avoid roadways. But, as best I know, does not go underneath a terminal or anything like that.
Perhaps not underneath, but it does enter T4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOIIMEWdAg .
Quote: Ah, The "no photography zone"

Welcome to New York.

Edit to add: Tram is above ground - doesn't really go into any terminal, but is connected by above roadway bridges, including the "International Arrivals Building" - IAB. Just about every terminal at JFK is an international arrivals terminal with an FIS. The IAB is also known as T4, will soon be vacated primarily for DL, as I understand it.

Anyways, Welcome to New York.
Bolding mine: They actually charge for it?????? Sheesh-what a bunch of gonifs
The AirTrain stations are actually rather well designed structures. In the event of a terminal fire, etc, I would much rather be in the AirTran station than the terminal. I suspect they would also provide some protection for the surrounding structures in the event of an explosion. Also, the track channel would likely direct much of the force of an explosion on the train itself upward.
This seems like one of the typical security solutions looking for a problem situations.
Quote: Bolding mine: They actually charge for it?????? Sheesh-what a bunch of gonifs
There's no charge for going between terminals or to the car parks, but it's $5 to board or alight at Jamaica or Howard Beach.