2 week stay in Redmond, WA

Subscribe
My spouse has a new job working as a contractor for a large, well-known software company in Redmond, WA (yes, that one). We have been under the gun economically and she will have to stay in a hotel there for 2-3 weeks at her own expense prior to her receiving her first paycheck. We have been to betterbidding for clues as to local hotels that can possibly be had on PL/HW, but we would like to hear from someone who is familiar with the area: Are there any low-cost hotels in safe areas that are commutable from this well-known company by public transportation (without her having to get a rent-a-car)? How much is an airport shuttle from SEA to Redmond?
Mrs. IK works at a little software company in Redmond, and I think pretty much everywhere on Seattle's Eastside is safe. I think that if you got a PL hotel in Bellevue, Kirkland or Redmond, you will be able to use the bus system. That company also has its own fleet of busses that they use to transport employees to the campus from various parts of Seattle, but I don't know exactly how it works since we live to close to the main campus to use it.

Is your wife working on the main campus, or one of the 100's of other building they use in the area?
I would advice against getting a hotel in Kirkland, if you want to commute by bus. If you commute from Kirkland to Redmond you will either have very fixed schedule with large intervals between buses, or you will have to make a connection in Bellevue, or both. Bellevue downtown on another hand is fine.

Re airport shuttle check out shuttleexpress.com If there are two of you, I'd recommend hiring a towncar to pick you up. The same cost, and you will avoid a sightseeing tour of Eastiside, while the shuttle drops of others. Redmond is usually one of their last stops. PM me if you'd like to get a phone of a reliable town car driver. Or if you stay in downtown Bellevue, you can just take a bus route 560 from the airport.
Quote: That company also has its own fleet of busses that they use to transport employees to the campus from various parts of Seattle, but I don't know exactly how it works since we live to close to the main campus to use it.
Contractors are not allowed to use the company bus system.

I would look into the Redmond Inn which is near main and Redwest campuses via public transportation. It is also walking distance to WHole Foods, Family Pancake House and other quick eats. The Redmond Town Center is about a 10 minute walk. It is also on a major bus line.

I can't think of any places in the area that are unsafe.... some cheapy sleepys may be 'shady' but not in unsafe neighborhoods.
Welcome to Redmond. Be prepared to be wearing sweaters until the 4th of July!
PBQ
On the Bellevue side, There is a Marriott Courtyard and a Silver Cloud very close to campus.

A little farther away you could try the Eastgate area, where there are several hotels and a large Park & Ride with regular public buses to Redmond.
If you are certain as to which building you are working in I would also suggest perusing vrbo.com and seeing if there are any 'vacation' rentals that would suit your need and price point.
I have been successful in negotiating rate reductions with vrbo owners when their calendars are not very full or when I am only a few days away from my requested dates.

Also; I wonder if the software concern has an electronic community bulletin board for seeking shelter and such?

Just bring some warm clothes!! It has been an exceptionally cool month here and we aren't holding out much hope for it to warm up before about July 22nd...