"Chicago Seminars 2011" October 29 and 30 Registration Open

Subscribe
Seminar Registration is now CLOSED

Update September 29, 2011

With just 1 month until the big homecoming we have registered over 475 people for the biggest party in FF Land. The speakers are lined up and working on their presentations. Most of the volunteers are in place (see about 3 posts below for open spots to help out.) We have 8 sponsors kicking in to help with expenses and we expect another fun and educational event. Please note: As registration continues some of the seminars will be filling up and leave you with only one choice during any given time slot. If you are on the fence about joining us, sooner is probably better than later to get the seminars you want.

Registration is going smoothly with some seminars getting close to full. There will not be a waiting list for this event.

To all volunteers, potential volunteers, attendees and speakers:

We will be onsite sometime in early September to handle final details with the hotel; RE:

menu, shuttles, room setup, Halloween party, internet, display set up.

Do we have a Chicago local interested in checking out an offsite dinner Saturday night? zippyonthego has expressed an interest in organizing something. PM her with your help.

Halloween Decorations? Anybody got any? PM me.

dlouise37, fti and all other computer geeks and pros: We will need somebody at each seminar to make sure the speakers Powerpoints load properly. Volunteers to help? Speakers get me your presentations asasp.

What happened to our [B]T shirt Committee MiffSC is running that show. Pleae fill out her survey.

SkiAdcock is handling the charity raffle PM her to donate or volunteer.

toandfro
is indeed bringing the apples?

So much to do and so little time. Email me with things you have to suggest, volunteer or remind me about. [email protected]

Get Ready for the Big Homecoming and volunteer or donate if you can.

February 22, 2011 our first post about the Chicago Seminars 2011. This post #1 will again be our most effective way of communicating news and updates.

Our dates are October 29th and 30th with two evening sessions on the 28th.

You will only be able to register for the hotel through the links we will provide. All other reservations or award nights at the host or overflow hotel will be cancelled. The host hotel again is the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village, and our one and only overflow hotel is the Holiday Inn and Suites O’Hare/ Rosemont. We have approximately 250 rooms available to start. Rates are comparable to last year and will include one or two breakfast coupons per day. The first night’s rate is NON refundable.

Seminar registration this year will be $75. Why the increase? We added for online registration (hooray), money to fly in our speakers, and lunch and coffee breaks for both days are included in your registration. This event again is 100% non profit and an all volunteer effort. Any excess proceeds will be given to charity. Seminar Registration will also be NON refundable. There will be no waiting list and you will only be able to register through the online links provided.

The areas of concern last year have been addressed to the best of our ability.
1. With the closer overflow hotel and the promise of more frequent and larger shuttles, transportation issues will be minimized.
2. The reception will be a cash bar and costume party (it is Halloween weekend) so there is no first occupant only issue.
3. The menu has been upgraded to include fresh fruit and oatmeal at breakfast and you all will enjoy his fresh Wisconsin apple with lunch.
4. The hotel has upgraded their entire internet system. We are still not sure if it will handle all of us, but they have promised enhanced performance.

The Seminar Program has been set and posted in Post #4:

See you in Chicago

Ingy
Hotel Registration Now OPEN

The Host Hotel Holiday Inn Elk Grove is already sold out but there are still plenty of rooms at the overflow hotel.

When registering for your hotel room remember the first night is NON refundable and please use the same name and email address on your registration as you will be using for seminar registration.

OverFlow Hotel Links Holiday Day Inn Rosemont/O'Hare

Without Breakfast Enter Group Code FYN
http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...&execute=basic

With Breakfast Enter Group code FY1
http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...&execute=basic

Thanks for all your cooperation.
Seminar Registration is Now CLOSED
Schedule:

Friday October 28th Early Bird Specials 7-8PM
"Maximizing Delta miles and Delta award tickets – from SkyPesos to SkyGold" with Fti and ffi or

"Technology Skills You Need To Know" with Dlouise37

Saturday October 29th
Breakfast 8-9AM
9AM to 9:45 "Rookie Bootcamp" with Bikeguy
9:45 AM to 10 AM Coffee Break
10AM to 11:45 "Award Bookings" with Gleff or "Hyatt and PC" with Lucky
11:45 to 1:00Pm Lunch
1PM to 2:45 Priceline Bidding, Expedia BRG and Timeshare tips with GoMike or Lucky, SPG and UA Captain Denny Flanagan
2:45PM to 3PM Coffee Break
3PM to 5PM "Mileage Runs" with Lucky9876Coins or "Credit Cards and Amex MR" with Ingy Frugal Travel Guy and Brian Kelly thePointsGuy
5PM to 6PM Breakout Session for "Mileage Runs with Hands on Workshop" or "Meet the Speakers"
8:30PM to 10PM "Costumes and Cocktails"

Sunday October 30th
8AM to 9 AM Breakfast
9AM to 10:45 Sponsors Workshop
10:45 to 11AM Coffee Break
11AM to 12:45 "Pudding and Pickles or Moderated Breakout Sessions on AA, DL, CO/UA, US, SPG, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
12:45PM to 2PM Lunch
2PM to 4PM "Cherry Pickin' with Beaubo and the BOSS"
Volunteers:

We need registration help, Friday afternoon,, evening and Sat Morning
Friday Afternoon: gsmart, deltagoldflyer, gpapodop
Friday Evening:?? natebaumgart, jefftf1, sagy
Saturday Morning:??? Aktchi, Braynes, fti

The infamous "gopher position" has been accepted by legalalien for the weeknd. We are ever grateful for this offer on his behalf.

Friday afternoon setup: zippyonthego, gpapodop

and Sunday breakdown: dodger1K HELP???

Our Charity Raffle will be handled again by the fantastic: SkiAdcock

Projector donations and operators:
dlouise37 and fti

T-Shirt Committee:Travelsavant and MiffSC

And New this Year: Moderators for the Sunday Breakout Sessions. If you consider yourself an expert in any one program and want to lead a discussion group, send me your interest by PM

Break Session Moderators:
SPG: Basil K 15 year member
Hilton ???
Marriott SkiAdcock
Hyatt???
Other Hotel Programs???
United: Lucky9876coins
US Airways and others: DCPatti, toomanybooks
American ??????
Delta geoffco

And We Need Apples Not anymore; to and fro will be bringing Wisconsin apples for your lunchtime enjoyment. It is amazing how working together we can solve last years issues.

You go: to and fro
Speaker Topics

Cliff Straton dlouise37 Friday eve "..An overview of technology related concepts, approaches and tools you can use to increase your efficiently at obtaining the information involved in our hobby.

Dave Homyak (Bikeguy):
"Questions asked to help newcomers develop a miles and points philosophy. Also covered will be tools and past successes."

Gary Leff Award Booking: “How to identify the best value uses of your points, find award seats, and navigate the call with your mileage program to turn a ‘no’ into a ‘yes!’”

Lucky Hyatt and PC:"Forget Priceline, I'll show you how hotel loyalty programs can be just as lucrative, if not more lucrative, than airline loyalty
programs."

GoMike "Advanced priceline hotel bidding techniques and how to take advantage of the timeshare market."

Lucky9876Coins "How to identify mileage run fares of interest, how to construct and book a mileage run, how to maximize miles earned while minimizing costs, and comfort/efficiency of mileage runs considerations."

Rick Ingersoll "The latest on the highest source of free miles around and how to keep your scores from suffering.

Brian Kelly, ThePointsGuy: Mastering American Express Membership Rewards: Understanding Transfer Partners, Transfer bonuses and other tips and tricks to get the most bang for your points.

Pudding Guy:A "coach-class perspective on how to maximize the value of miles & points."

Beaubo (Steve Belkin): "The Mileage Game Value Proposition: Is It Still Worth It To Play?
* The Thresholds Of When To Purchase Ticket Or Redeem Miles/Upgrades
* Mileage Outsourcing: When Over-The-Pond Programs Offer Under-The-Radar Advantages"
Sponsors: We are so pleased to have the following sites and firms sponsor our Seminars this year

AwardWallet
Electric Wombats
ExpertFlyer
Frugal Travel Guy Blog
Milepoint
ITASoftware, (Google)
The PointsGuy Blog
Million Mile Secrets Blog

If your firm or website is interested in presenting your site or service to 500+ travel crazies, drop me a PM
Airline and Car Rental Discounts

We appreciate your business with American Airlines.
A discount agreement has been completed and is valid 25OCT11 – 03NOV11 for travel to ORD.
The Promotion Code you will need to give to your meeting attendees is 62H1BG. Please allow 1 hour for the code to be loaded for use onwww.AA.com.
Your attendees will receive a 5% discount off the lowest applicable published air fare.

Thank you for choosing American Airlines Group and Meeting Travel along with Avis Rent-A-Car to handle your meeting needs. American Airlines and Avis have joined together to provide the Meeting and Group industry with a unique partnership.

Avis has assigned a specific discount number for your meeting. The Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) Number is H800994. Please advise your attendees to use this AWD number when calling Avis directly at 1-888-754-8878 to receive the best possible car rental rates available.

And a Big Thank you to MrPickles for getting these discounts for all of us
Handles of registered attendees as of March 22 (alpha sort courtesy of gomike):

3LeftTurns
84fiero
acker
Airshadow
Aktchi
albert
ALCARLOS
Angust
ArizonaGuy
arollins
arollins + 1
AS74
baliktad
Barristan
Beans Morocco
berrenger
blankeeta
Blue Skye
Bonesaz
BUZZ4FLY
BWItraveller
carolinaaaflyer
CDKing
challett
chemist661
cjares
ckpeter
Cliburn
cmtrepp
cmTrvlr64
ColonelWes
CubsGirl
dan6681.
Daringdoo
DBoy
Dcpatti
Dcpatti
Dcpatti
Dcpatti
DealsRock
DealsRock
dkayford
dlouise37
Dodger 1K
dsw66
ehud
eightblack.
fanch26
FirstClassQueen
Flying Firefly
flyingforfun
fotobaron
fsa_ea
FT: myc2004 MP: thefitworldtraveler
fti
FTNewbie731
gbtrotter
geoffco
GETITON
gogogo888
goodeats21
gpapadop
Greekquent Flyer
GrizShel
gsmart
harry0233
hogo74
holycow4
JANIEGREENTHUMB
jb831
jefftf1
jhflyer
jmd001
johnmont
JohnnieD
kjvaughn
KMA26
Knecht
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
leemaj33.
Lev.
LoneTree
lv2vl
lyst
Mainliner
marykob
mhnadel
Middle_Seat
miffSC
monnyc
Mr. Bob / Happyflier
mrcol
mrs palefire
msp2anywhere
mswtravels
N/A
nanny-york
natebaum
newhousejim
Ngalliance
nickfromct
none
OnScholarship
ORD-TGU
palefire
paranoiatx
ParisHelen
Pat89339
PatBateman23
PatBateman23 +1
pnoeric
pnoeric
Poptarts
richtravels
Ronf
rrw66
rubesl
rustyr
Scubaflyer
seacarl
seacarl_p1 need to set her up
SeanPVD
spectralflyer
Spiffster
stravels
Sweet Willie
Sylvie
tamminh
TexasYankee
TheBagman
thegrailer
thegrailer +1
thnarf
Thor3
tivolady
tivolady.
tmolta
travelfree
TRAVRLHOLICSCUBA
tsangsh2002
u2fan
UNITED863
unitedmark
VandyBDL
webby325
Weltall900
wfb
worldtraveller2
yesletsski
Ziron

When considering a repeat of last year's event, of course we looked at other hotels in the ORD area. To forestall numerous comments I know are coming, we know about the Rosemont hotels and others along the Blue Line (such as the ORD Marriott) and we evaluated them. I visited the suitable ones that would give me an appointment.

They ALL required ingy and/or me to sign a personal guarantee on the order of 70-80% of the room block cost plus anticipated food and beverage. Since we are looking at something like $65,000+ for this weekend, and we aren't making any money on this, we decided we would not take the risk.

Furthermore, these other hotels:

1. Failed to return repeated phone calls.
2. Changed terms and conditions after we had negotiated things.
3. Changed weekend dates on us unilaterally when a better offer came along, then lied about it (a real pi$$er)
4. Wanted IMMENSE amounts of money for microphones, projectors, wi-fi, etc.
5. Switched sales reps on us so we had to explain everything all over again
6. Were going to cost 50% more
7. etc.

The only hotel that would not make us sign a personal guarantee was the EGV Holiday Inn, because they know for certain we will completely fill their hotel in a few hours the way we did last time. Furthermore, they were very responsive to some of the improvements we wanted and willing to work with us. I'm confident the changes ingy negotiated with them will make this event better than last year's.
Year of the Seminar Do's I can make this one now the date has been changed. I guess i better subscribe to daily digest so i dot overflow my inbox. Time off requested
great news. calender marked, just waiting for details to register.
Cool on vaction all that week!
My vacation has been approved. Just waiting for hotel link. Will probably be flying in Thursday and leaving Monday. I heard last year some people received a tour of UA Ops, any chance something like that can be arranged for the Friday for anyone arriving early or those planning of skipping the Friday beginner overviews?
What's the difference between this event and the Frequent Traveler University? (Other than $26..)

Are these affiliated events ?
Quote: What's the difference between this event and the Frequent Traveler University? (Other than $26..)

Are these affiliated events ?
They are not affiliated at this time. Frequent Traveler University is a one day event with about 6 hours of info. Chicago Seminar DO is a full two day event. There will be some overlap I am sure.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  11  51