Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2002, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

segment

New to this, what is a segment?
Old Nov 5, 2002, 1:10 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
One take off and landing on a flight with the same flight number**

** Exception 1: "Direct flights" are flights that make a stop en route, but you don't get off of the plane. The aircraft carries the same flight number. Direct flights count as a single segment for frequent flyer purposes. i.e. Flight 123 goes from LGA to PHL and continues on to BWI. You fly LGA to BWI and you only receive 1 segment credit.

** Exception 2: "Direct flights with a change of planes" are really connections in disguise. These are usually found on international flights. i.e. Flight 678 goes from LGA to PHL and on to Madrid. Is the 100 seat plane out of LGA the one that continues on to Madrid?? No. You have to transfer. However, for frequent flyer purposes, it appears you only take a single flight from LGA through to Madrid.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 1:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cheryl wagner:
New to this, what is a segment?</font>
I thought this was a joke. If someone doesn't know that, imagine the other questions we are going to get.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 1:15 pm

new to this, what is a plane?

(don't get mad, cheryl...just pullin your chain.)

[This message has been edited by nawlinsdoc (edited 11-05-2002).]
Old Nov 5, 2002, 1:28 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Doh! Maybe I'm trying to be too helpful....

Isn't there a FAQ around here someplace?
Old Nov 5, 2002, 2:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I tend to avoid "direct" flights whenever possible. Too often they turn suddenly into "direct with change of plane" which turns into "the continuation of our flight will be delayed while we wait for the plane to arrive from Cedar Rapids."

Cheryl's question wasn't out of order at all...
Old Nov 5, 2002, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Hey guys we were all newbies once....
Old Nov 5, 2002, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Whoa! Thought I was on the United board for a sec.

Cheryl --Welcome to FT and don't let these guys get you down

Viero Joven's explanation is good and the thing you should be really careful of when dealing with segments... an esp. notorious flight is UA 853 JFK-SFO-NRT-PEK. 1 segment -- change of aircraft in both SFO and NRT, only one segment credit. Awful, eh?
Worse, you only get the direct mileage as if it were nonstop JFK-PEK. Brutal.

pdhenry -- even worse is when you're on the first leg and it's running late, in spite of it being a direct flight, the second leg will leave without you.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kv99:

pdhenry -- even worse is when you're on the first leg and it's running late, in spite of it being a direct flight, the second leg will leave without you.
</font>
Yeah, but then you get your extra segment credit.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 3:17 pm

I was just joking around, but I guess this is not the forum to be asking questions that can be found by surfing the US website for 30 seconds.

Will anyone want to read the board if the new posts are all like, "what's an upgrade?" If someone didn't know the difference between G and F class, that's another matter. (Which also can be found by searching the threads here)

Sorry if I came across a bit too hard.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nawlinsdoc:
I was just joking around, but I guess this is not the forum to be asking questions that can be found by surfing the US website for 30 seconds.

Will anyone want to read the board if the new posts are all like, "what's an upgrade?" If someone didn't know the difference between G and F class, that's another matter. (Which also can be found by searching the threads here)

Sorry if I came across a bit too hard.
</font>

I just did a search under "segment." While there are a gallion threads with the words segment in it, it's nearly impossible to find THE thread that defines it.

What's an upgrade? That's also has shades of gray. On UA, an upgrade is often from E- to E+. Paid or miles? Opperational? Not all black and white here.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 8:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:

I just did a search under "segment." While there are a gallion threads with the words segment in it, it's nearly impossible to find THE thread that defines it.

What's an upgrade? That's also has shades of gray. On UA, an upgrade is often from E- to E+. Paid or miles? Opperational? Not all black and white here.
</font>
I said that the definition of segment is on the US website, not HERE on FT. I also was being facetious when I asked a simple, stupid, "What's an Upgrade?" NOT "What is an Operational upgrade?" which is a more legitimate question.

Jeez.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
Yeah, but then you get your extra segment credit.</font>
Sure, except when you're booked on Northworst DEL-AMS-IAD and the DEL-AMS flight is running late (as always!) and AMS-IAD leaves without you.

Then you don't really give a **** about the extra segment credit because you have to sit in AMS another day. Which would be ok, except that Northworst refuses to pay for a room because the delay was "weather-related."

Guess why I never fly Northwest?
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:05 am

Ummm..shes new, and doesn't know what a segment is. Do you really expect her to understand all the gobble de gook you posted?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kv99:

Viero Joven's explanation is good and the thing you should be really careful of when dealing with segments... an esp. notorious flight is UA 853 JFK-SFO-NRT-PEK. 1 segment -- change of aircraft in both SFO and NRT, only one segment credit. Awful, eh?
Worse, you only get the direct mileage as if it were nonstop JFK-PEK. Brutal.

</font>
Old Nov 6, 2002, 7:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rawbert:
Ummm..shes new, and doesn't know what a segment is. Do you really expect her to understand all the gobble de gook you posted?
</font>
Dude -- my "gobble de gook" (what is that, like a Dutch turkey?) is perfectly straightforward if Cheryl understands Viero Joven's FANTASTIC definition of a segment. She may be new, but she's probably not dumb.

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 11-06-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.