The DO highlights of the past year.

Subscribe
I'm not sure that this belongs here but where else since this forum defined a lot of my travel?

1. My first Presidents day DO leading to me trying to take control.
2. The Shetland Islands DO. Just bloody awesome. A holiday with birds everywhere.
3. Flying to SYD with about 30 other FTers for the US labor day weekend.
4. Vienna. Even grown men can eat gelato.

Now for your stories.
I'd have to say my very first DO, which was meeting ten FTers in HNL last December. A very fun time, and I made some great friends ^
My first time traveling to a Do. I flew to Chicago in December for the "Chicago Dinner with Captain Denny" and I enjoyed three solid hours of talking about planes and miles.

Incidentally, I met the OP there, sat next to him in fact.
Stepping inside ZA003 at PAE.

Hands down.
I always have a great time at OzFest, which in 2010 was in Adelaide. It's one of my two "must attend" events each year. Here's two photos: one from dinner at a seafood restaurant in Adelaide, and the second from the Langmeil Winery in the Barossa Valley. 2011 will be in Darwin and I'm already booked.

The other event, and one I have not missed for 10 years running now hosted by SkiAdcock, is the London Do on Presidents Weekend. A tour of the 2012 Olympic site was the event highlight for me this last year. Photos of the stadium and aquatic center:

The wine @ NYC. It was as big of a "Do" as I like to be in. Everything about it was great, except my taxi ride into Manhattan. Company, wine, and food, in that order. A great evening.
Every Do I've attended has had unforgettable moments.

Standouts among standouts include, in no particular order
except my remembering them,

the Salt Lick during Starwood Lurker's Do,

the Tugra restaurant for szg's birthday,

dhammer53's North Square wine Do,

safety training at the VIE-Waltz-Do,

Denali wildlife,

and of course the Boeing 787 and factory tour during the
(one hopes) perennial Star MegaDo.

Sadly, the 2010 SIN Do for me wasn't a particular highlight -
getting checked into hospital immediately after (for 10 days!)
does put a damper on things.

Thanks to the organizers of the many Dos I have been privileged
to attend; I hope to take advantage of your connections and
administrative skills for years to come.
I think I went to four FT DOs this year, and enjoyed them all, so in chronological order:

1. QF board AGM at the BNE Qantas Club - an annual event I've attended for some years, preceded by a lunch at the Breakfast Creek Hotel (a steak place). Always good to catch up and shoot the breeze with other FTers here.

2. Ozfest in Adelaide - only the second (of ~7 that have been held) that I've been to, and thoroughly enjoyable with good wining and dining, and a visit to the Barossa Valley wine region.

3. Island Do IV (or was it V ) in the Shetland Islands. The furthest away do from home I've attended, and a great time was had. Big on nature and history, as well as food and drink.

4. NZ (not *A ) Mega-Do in NZ (both Auckland and Christchurch) - included very interesting visits to Air New Zealand's engineering bases in both AKL and CHC, as well as a visit to a RNZAF base near AKL. Oh, and food and drink was plentiful as well.

Thanks to all the organisers of these events, they are most welcome dates on the FT calendar.
DHammer53 probably already has his sights set on me for failing to mention the Brooklyn Reality Tour. As a survivor of the first BRT, how could I possibly miss the 10th anniversary edition?

Our tour guide on the Brooklyn Promenade and one of the most calorie-laden Brooklyn stops, Teena's Cake Fair:

Surely someone else has attended a memorable FT event somewhere in the last year?
Really enjoyed the Vienna Do in September; BRT in June and (of course) Ozfest is a annual event.

We are looking forward to more; Prague is on the Horizon. ^
Quote: 3. Island Do IV (or was it V ) in the Shetland Islands. The furthest away do from home I've attended, and a great time was had. Big on nature and history, as well as food and drink.
- and you were our furthest flung attendee as well ^

I only went to my own Dos this year - highlight was discovering the random fire festival and standing by the side of the loch in the simmer dim, with 200 Shetlanders dressed as Vikings and singing the traditional Up Helly Aa songs, each carrying a torch. Fantastic. Something that was nothing to do with my organisation, just a random bonus.

(Going to dinner by ferry was pretty good too - so was the boat ride )
ORD Chicago MegaDo was my first FT do and I LOVED it!!! it was great meeting everyone I met and learning new tips and tricks. Can't wait till I can attend the next one.
Had a great time at my first Do, SINDo, followed right up by London-Do. Great people. Just barely missed out on Oz (was there but couldn't make it that far).

Of course, I forgot, MCI-do! Can't wait for that one again this year!
Quote: I only went to my own Dos this year - highlight was discovering the random fire festival and standing by the side of the loch in the simmer dim, with 200 Shetlanders dressed as Vikings and singing the traditional Up Helly Aa songs, each carrying a torch. Fantastic. Something that was nothing to do with my organisation, just a random bonus.

(Going to dinner by ferry was pretty good too - so was the boat ride )
Yeah...that was a great time. Video here for folks who want to see what it was all about. Coolest part about that was that we literally just stumbled into it when the guy at the front desk of our hotel asked why we hadn't planned to be there yet when we didn't even know it existed. Great way to experience a bit of local culture.