Duty Free on arrival in Brazil airports

Subscribe
I just had an email asking about this so I will post the answers here.

Airports in Brazil have duty free stores on arrival (DUFRY is the brand) that permit US$500 in purchases above other allowances. The stores themselves administer the allowances, which give each arriving passenger a case of wine, whisky, other booze and also have lots of other stuff from food items to stereo systems and computers.

The prices are not as cheap ads they are at many foreign locations but the convenience is unbeatable. You can order in advance and your order will be waiting for you packed and ready to go.

The website is:
http://www.dutyfreedufry.com.br/
"The stores themselves administer the allowances. . ." might give the impression that they take the place of customs. You still have to pass through Customs after the duty free shop. But the packages are sealed by the store and I've never had a customs official ask one to be opened. OP is correct in that the prices aren't great. Prices are better than you'd pay at a regular store in Brazil (where taxes are very high), but unless you're going to be there for an extended period, it may not be worthwhile. We reside in Brazil for extended periods, so take advantage of the shops. Sometimes I've found better prices in the "duty free" shopping on board flights, but the shops have a wider variety. And all prices are in U.S. dollars (i.e., no foreign transaction fee on your credit card).
Saved $50 on a $250 camera there last week over city prices.
Is the one in Rio easier to spot now? When I went there last June there were people passing out brochures about it in baggage claim. While I was in line to exchange money (after customs) someone behind me in line was asking where it was.

I told her it was too late.
One of the first things Infraero needs to do in 2011 is review the concessions of Dufry....they are grossly overpriced...but so are most concessions at the airports in Brazil. Hope Dilma will do something about this, now that she is in charge. Also the 500US$ limit has not been looked at in decades.....
Quote: Is the one in Rio easier to spot now? When I went there last June there were people passing out brochures about it in baggage claim. While I was in line to exchange money (after customs) someone behind me in line was asking where it was.

I told her it was too late.
The one at GIG is after immigration in the center of the luggage belts. It is quite hardnto miss.
Yes if you miss that monster store, you are seriously jetlagged!

Glen
Quote: You can order in advance and your order will be waiting for you packed and ready to go.

The website is:
http://www.dutyfreedufry.com.br/
Orders must be placed at least 72-hours in advance.
BTW, since the recent change in duty free allowances I have been bringing a case of wine with me on every trip with no problems. Gaucho100k will happily supply if you come from Argentina, otherwise in the US wine.com is handy because they deliver already fully packed so I just put their case in a bag and check it in. The 12 litre duty free allowance makes a case an easy choice. I almost always bring white Burgandy or Bordeax but whatever your choice, even Brazilian, is cheaper almost anywhere else.
Quote: One of the first things Infraero needs to do in 2011 is review the concessions of Dufry....they are grossly overpriced...but so are most concessions at the airports in Brazil. Hope Dilma will do something about this, now that she is in charge. Also the 500US$ limit has not been looked at in decades.....
LOL. We're in Brazil. I doubt that Dilma (who was hand-picked by her successor-- who may well run again in the future-- and is not about to break with his administration's policies), her Workers Party, and Infraero, will feel that lower prices and looseining restrictions at duty free stores, patronized by those with enough money for international travel (not the Workers Party core constituency), is a top priority.

Infraero is going to need big, big bucks to make quick reforms to many airports in order to accommodate the big crowds expected for the World Cup and Olympics. Many of the country's airports are too small, and outdated. Some are in real bad shape. Brazil is quite confident it will have plenty of tourists for the foreseeable future. But now they need to update the woefully inadequate infrastructure. I think you can forget about any lessening of fees at duty free stores. Some cynics might even feel there's cronyism, if not corruption, involved in awarding such contracts, so changing the concessionaire for efficiency's sake is unlikely.