Buenos Aires to Ushuaia Carry-On baggage?

Subscribe
Sorry if this has been answered already, but if so, I couldn't find it in a search...

I am going on the Abercrombie & Kent Antarctica cruise on Le Boreal, and the A&K info on the charter flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia mentions a weight limit of 20 KG for one checked bag and 5 kg hand baggage... Does anyone know if they actually weigh the carry-ons? Between my laptop, chargers and camera equipment I am already over 5kg, but it will all fit in a normal sized backpack or large briefcase-style bag...

Does anyone have any experience with this?

If they are strict, will they charge an excess bag fee or simply refuse to let me take it???

Any help appreciated...
Quote: Sorry if this has been answered already, but if so, I couldn't find it in a search...

I am going on the Abercrombie & Kent Antarctica cruise on Le Boreal, and the A&K info on the charter flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia mentions a weight limit of 20 KG for one checked bag and 5 kg hand baggage... Does anyone know if they actually weigh the carry-ons? Between my laptop, chargers and camera equipment I am already over 5kg, but it will all fit in a normal sized backpack or large briefcase-style bag...

Does anyone have any experience with this?

If they are strict, will they charge an excess bag fee or simply refuse to let me take it???

Any help appreciated...

First of all, congratulations on going to Antarctica - you will love it!

Like most Latin airports, it is hit and miss. Flying on a LAN charter from USH to SCL (two weeks ago) the LAN charter was enforcing a 10kg carryon limit. My camera bag was over and they told me I had to remove enough of the contents to meet the 10kg limit. I removed my laptop. They put the laptop in a white plastic bag, handed -both- items back to me and wished me a good day. I then picked up my second carryon from behind a pillar and proceeded to board the plane.

On the other hand, on a SCL to USH charter last year, a fellow pax had to check his entire camera bag.

For checked baggage I've never seen a situation where they cared about the weight, but LAN has a provision for charging for excess checked luggage if they feel the need to invoke it.

Edit to say, Visit Laguna Negra in USH. Excellent, excellent chocolate. We have some in the freezer and try to make it last all year.
Thanks! I'll hope for the best, and I decided to buy a Scottevest with 24 pockets and stash as much as possible of my electronics in the pockets - figure I can probably fit another 5kg in there...
you may have better results if you post it on the Argentina forum.
you can ask the moderator to move it if you like.
Quote: you may have better results if you post it on the Argentina forum.
you can ask the moderator to move it if you like.
You may have different results, but not better results. SCL and EZE are the gateways to USH and the Antarctic Peninsula and the funnels for major photography equipment. Folks actually schlepping serious gear to remote locations have unique issues with airline staff. On my last trip to the continent I had a second camera bag that somehow entirely escaped checkin, but made it on the aircraft with me. ;

I'm now planning my strategy to deal with the 5kg limit for flights to Iquitos. A better suggestion for a double post might be the photography forum.