Citi rental insurance coverage now PRIMARY (VISA only, NY excluded)

Subscribe
My Citi "Platinum Select AAdvantage" VISA is getting a new set of additional programs and services as of 15 October, according to a letter and its enclosed "Summary of Additional Program Information" (MV5635 09/10).

Reading the section Worldwide Auto Rental Insurance Coverage, it appears that, with the exception of NY Residents, these major changes will be in effect:
  • Insurance is PRIMARY (i.e. not in excess of other insurance you may already have)
  • There are no blacklisted countries
  • The coverage period has no maximum number of consecutive days
  • More types of cars are covered; for example, while they still won't pay out more than $50,000 worth, cars valued at over $50,000 are now covered

If you're a NY state resident, well, you shouldn't be surprised that your terms are not as good...

For me, this is MAJOR news and gets this card to be competitive to the recently spinned-off Diners Club card

-----------------------------------

Just read the "Supplemental Summary of Additional Program Information" (VSPE 09/10) that I got with my Citi "Platinum Select / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard", and there the only change is that the coverage period changes from 15 to 31 consecutive days or less.

The MasterCard program is now way inferior, both in substance (it's secondary, has loads of exclusions) and in form (its terms are way more complex, difficult to understand, and filled with potential potholes).
Also to "The Other" car?
Actually, 2 questions:
Does it cover damage caused by the rental car to another car (beyond the rental co insurance)?

I just got Citi HHonors Visa Signature. Is this card included?
FYI: Chase Onepass Plus and Presidential Plus Mastercard also have primary collision insurance and I do not believe NYC residents are excluded. Here is the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-benefits.html
Quote: Actually, 2 questions:
Does it cover damage caused by the rental car to another car (beyond the rental co insurance)?
This type of coverage is called liability insurance and there is no credit card that offers liability coverage for rental cars.

It is a law in most if not all states to compulsorily have liability coverage. If you do not already have it, you have to buy it from the rental car company. In some states, it may already be included in the cost of the rental.
Quote: It is a law in most if not all states to compulsorily have liability coverage. If you do not already have it, you have to buy it from the rental car company. In some states, it may already be included in the cost of the rental.
True, but that amount of liability insurance is often very minimal.
Quote: This type of coverage is called liability insurance and there is no credit card that offers liability coverage for rental cars.

It is a law in most if not all states to compulsorily have liability coverage. If you do not already have it, you have to buy it from the rental car company. In some states, it may already be included in the cost of the rental.
In Canada, such information is explicitly disclosed on the rental contract in pretty big print - that the liability insurance is included in the rental rate.

I think I have seen rental contracts in US also allude to this fact but in very very tiny prints. It does not hurt to make sure this at the counter and decide if you also want to buy the liability insurance which inevitably the agent would try hard to sell it to you.
Quote: ...there is no credit card that offers liability coverage for rental cars.
Actually, this is a benefit of the American Express Platinum International Dollar and Euro Currency cards which are issued and administered from the UK, but billed in US Dollars or Euros:

5) If You are found legally liable for injuring another person or damaging their property, the Insurer will pay any related compensation and legal costs up to US$/􀀁750,000 (or US$1,000,000 in the USA) arising directly or indirectly from one cause.
6) As a result of this benefit You do not need to purchase additional or optional insurances from the rental company which include:
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
Removal/reduction of excess (Super CDW/LDW)
Theft Protection (TP)
Top Up/Supplemental Liability (SLI)
Personal Accident (PA)

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacid...e_Benefits.pdf (see page 24)

Note that the liability coverage is secondary to any other insurance you may already have.
Quote: If you're a NY state resident, well, you shouldn't be surprised that your terms are not as good...
Not sure that I understand the exemption. Is it for rentals in/around NYC, or does it exclude coverage anywhere in the world if your credit card mailing address is somewhere in NY State? TIA for taking another look at the new terms for those of us currently receiving mail (aka residing) in NY....!
Quote: My Citi "Platinum Select AAdvantage" VISA is getting a new set of additional programs and services as of 15 October, according to a letter and its enclosed "Summary of Additional Program Information" (MV5635 09/10).

Reading the section Worldwide Auto Rental Insurance Coverage, it appears that, with the exception of NY Residents, these major changes will be in effect:
  • Insurance is PRIMARY (i.e. not in excess of other insurance you may already have)
  • More types of cars are covered; for example, while they still won't pay out more than $50,000 worth, cars valued at over $50,000 are now covered

If you're a NY state resident, well, you shouldn't be surprised that your terms are not as good...

For me, this is MAJOR news and gets this card to be competitive to the recently spinned-off Diners Club card

Just read the "Supplemental Summary of Additional Program Information" (VSPE 09/10) that I got with my Citi "Platinum Select / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard", and there the only change is that the coverage period changes from 15 to 31 consecutive days or less.

The MasterCard program is now way inferior, both in substance (it's secondary, has loads of exclusions) and in form (its terms are way more complex, difficult to understand, and filled with potential potholes).
Does this apply to the Mastercard version?

Also OP since you seem to be Italian, I will be in Italy shortly and will have to rent a car, do you suggest any particular credit I should use? The Amex for some reason exempts Italy as a country vis a vis providing car rental coverage. Molte grazie.
Consider also Amex Premium Car Rental Protection
This is a special Amex program that you have to register for and be linked to your Amex card, I think possible for any Amex card.
If you use the registered Amex card for a rental - Amex charges you $18 for Entire rental period (for CA, maybe $20-25 other states).
You get super primary coverage for rental car upto $100k + medical, property etc.
I once did a small dent in a rental car and Amex took care of it like I was a VIP customer.
I discovered it when I was searching for coverage for SUV rental in Costa Rica. Most CDW programs of CCs say for SUV "only on paved roads" and in Costa Roca most roads are not paved.
More details... you need to review the official program description.
Questions abt UK Amex Plat w/Liability coverage
Quote: Actually, this is a benefit of the American Express Platinum International Dollar and Euro Currency cards which are issued and administered from the UK, but billed in US Dollars or Euros:

5) If You are found legally liable for injuring another person or damaging their property, the Insurer will pay any related compensation and legal costs up to US$/��750,000 (or US$1,000,000 in the USA) arising directly or indirectly from one cause.
6) As a result of this benefit You do not need to purchase additional or optional insurances from the rental company which include:
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
Removal/reduction of excess (Super CDW/LDW)
Theft Protection (TP)
Top Up/Supplemental Liability (SLI)
Personal Accident (PA)

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacid...e_Benefits.pdf (see page 24)

Note that the liability coverage is secondary to any other insurance you may already have.
This is Exactly what I am looking for. Can you provide answers to the following questions:
1. What is the annual fee for this card?
2. Does USA Amex know abt this card and can give it?
3. I live partly in CA and partly in Europe (but Not UK). I have many USA cards incl Amex, will I be able to get this card ?
4. If answer to #3 is no, then- I can use a relative's addr in the UK. Will this be legal?

Thanks in advance.
Quote: ... I think possible for any Amex card.
Only for cards issued by American Express in the USA. This excludes Amex-network cards issued by other banks, such as Bank of America, Barclay's, Citibank, etc.
Quote: This is Exactly what I am looking for.
Information about International Dollar and Euro Cards is here:

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacid...ss_cards.shtml

1. Annual fee for Platinum is 550 US Dollars or Euros
2. These cards are issued and administered by an American Express office in Brighton, England. You cannot apply for this card through American Express in the USA.
3. There is no requirement to have a UK address.
Quote: Information about International Dollar and Euro Cards is here:

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacid...ss_cards.shtml

1. Annual fee for Platinum is 550 US Dollars or Euros
2. These cards are issued and administered by an American Express office in Brighton, England. You cannot apply for this card through American Express in the USA.
3. There is no requirement to have a UK address.
I looked carefully into this card. AMEX Customer Service in the UK sometimes says that the car rental insurance, and all other car-related benefits, are not applicable if cdw is included in the rental in any way (such as: required by the car rental company, law, or simply included in the rate). I was unable to get a consistent answer on this point. Unlike the US-issued Platinum card, there is a 2.99% fee for charges in any currency other than USD.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Quote: My Citi "Platinum Select AAdvantage" VISA is getting a new set of additional programs and services as of 15 October, according to a letter and its enclosed "Summary of Additional Program Information" (MV5635 09/10).

Does the new Primary coverage offered by the Citi AAdvantage Visa apply if you use a free-day or dollars-off coupon in conjunction with the rental? Historically, use of such a coupon voided the free coverage offered by Visa and Amex; MasterCard still covered you as long as at least one full day's rental charges were charged to the card.