Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Hello

My neice works for AA and offered to buy me tickets on a trip to Australia and that would get me a discount of roughly 50% (which is great!)

I would like to know if I can add my AAdvantage number to my trip or make a claim for the miles later on and get a good chunk of miles added?

Thank you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For general information, please see this new wiki page: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...ravel_%28AA%29

Note that FlyerTalk is probably not the best place to inquire about non-revenue travel rules, since most FT members are regular passengers. Those with travel privileges are encouraged to contact AA or their sponsoring AA employee directly for detailed, up-to-date information. Those interested in airline careers may also want to check another bulletin board that is frequented by airline employees: http://www.airlineforums.com

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Apr 21, 2011 at 7:33 pm
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Better off just asking your niece.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
You cannot earn miles on non-revenue or industry discount tickets.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by dawizard
Hello

My neice works for AA and offered to buy me tickets on a trip to Australia and that would get me a discount of roughly 50% (which is great!)

I would like to know if I can add my AAdvantage number to my trip or make a claim for the miles later on and get a good chunk of miles added?

Thank you
needs to be a published fare
see AA.COM for valid fares to obtain milage credit
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zman
needs to be a published fare
see AA.COM for valid fares to obtain milage credit
So if she's booking it for me, I won't really be assigned a "class" which in turn would disqualify me from getting miles, correct?

Does it matter that I am still paying 50% of the cost?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
So if she's booking it for me, I won't really be assigned a "class" which in turn would disqualify me from getting miles, correct?

Yes, you will have a "class" even as a non-rev.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

The only way for anyone here to provide a viable answer to your inquiry is for you to ask your niece for the specific booking class and post it here.

FYI, AAdvantage members earn reduced mileage on discount Qantas flights so you probably won't be missing out on a "good chunk of miles".
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:56 pm

You will be assigned a booking code/class. If it is a listed booking code on AA for mileage you will get credit.
Discounted tickets based on a published fare are available for mileage credit

Eligible American Airlines/American Eagle Fare Classes* Class of Service Purchased Fares
Booked In: Mileage Accrual Percentage
First Class A, F, P 100% + 50% bonus
Business Class D, I, J, R 100% + 25% bonus
Full Fare Economy Class Y, B 100%
Discount Economy Class H, K, M, L, W, V 100%
Deep Discount Economy Class G, Q, N, O**, S 100%

* American Airlines reserves the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.
** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible for mileage credit.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
The only way for anyone here to provide a viable answer to your inquiry is for you to ask your niece for the specific booking class and post it here.

FYI, AAdvantage members earn reduced mileage on discount Qantas flights so you probably won't be missing out on a "good chunk of miles".
Yes I'll check with her but she told me she was making such an arrangement for first time and wasn't sure herself. I was hoping someone who had a similar experience would comment just to be sure.

Per another comment where my ticket would be assigned a class, then if I file for mileage credit after the trip how will they know whether or not it was a discounted ticket?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zman
You will be assigned a booking code/class. If it is a listed booking code on AA for mileage you will get credit.
Discounted tickets based on a published fare are available for mileage credit

Eligible American Airlines/American Eagle Fare Classes* Class of Service Purchased Fares
Booked In: Mileage Accrual Percentage
First Class A, F, P 100% + 50% bonus
Business Class D, I, J, R 100% + 25% bonus
Full Fare Economy Class Y, B 100%
Discount Economy Class H, K, M, L, W, V 100%
Deep Discount Economy Class G, Q, N, O**, S 100%

* American Airlines reserves the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.
** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible for mileage credit.
Thanks for the details zman, I think that kind of answers my question. I was just worried that I won't get any mileage because I am getting an employee-discounted ticket...so sounds like if I get First class I'll get the 100% + 50% mileage.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Per another comment where my ticket would be assigned a class, then if I file for mileage credit after the trip how will they know whether or not it was a discounted ticket?
Because it will be given a fare code/booking code whose rules say "no miles".

I can 99.999999% guarantee that you won't earn miles.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the details zman, I think that kind of answers my question. I was just worried that I won't get any mileage because I am getting an employee-discounted ticket...so sounds like if I get First class I'll get the 100% + 50% mileage.
As others have said,it is highly doubtful that you will get any mileage for an employee discounted ticket. Could it happen? Sure. But I wouldn't count on it.

Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Nope. The 100%+50% is first class with "A, F, or P" booking codes. You'll get something else like R which doesn't earn miles.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Why doesn't you neice just use a D3 pass for you which is a lot less then 50%..

Hello

Thank you
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by emma dog
Nope. The 100%+50% is first class with "A, F, or P" booking codes. You'll get something else like R which doesn't earn miles.
Thanks for the feedback everyone, doesn't look like I should count on the miles. I was thinking a trip to Australia might help complete a challenge but doesn't look like it'll happen this time around

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.