Lounge options BAH & KWI/Transit stop on IAD-KWI-BAH

Subscribe
Hello FTers -

I tried to do a search for lounge info for Bahrain (BAH) and Kuwait (KWI), but didn't see much on here... my apologies if I didn't search properly.

I'm flying UA in business class IAD-KWI-BAH roundtrip and can't figure out what my lounge options are. I'm both *A Gold and a RCC Member...

Also - what's the transit stop in KWI like? Do we have to get off the plane? I would think for a security sweep on the BAH > KWI > IAD flight we'd have to go in the terminal.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

-AirlineDork
I use to fly out of BAH all the time, this was before UA flew there (last year) and all I saw was the Gulf Air lounges, I always just went up to the bar on the 2nd level, there is a nice view of the runway up there once you get out of the elevators, turn right you are at the bar, turn left you are at a restaurant.
As a *G or Business Class: in BAH, check-in at the first class section at the end of the airport three hours prior to the flight. Then use the Dilmun lounge which is right as you leave security and passport control. You have to wind between a Chilis (?) and a coffee place and take the escalator upstairs. It's next to Cathay Pacific's lounge. The lounge is pretty good with food and adult beverages, but poor selection of reading material. They also have showers and wi-fi.
In KWI. You must get off the plane. You have the option of waiting in the holding area (no food, water or toilets), but no need to go through security again. Or you can leave the holding area and go to the lounge. There are two lounges in KWI (one for Amex customers and one for *G and Business Class). They have food and nice areas to relax. But NO adult beverages anywhere in the KWI airport and you must go through security again before boarding. There is no separate *G or business class check in, but you are entitled to go to the front of the line.
This new route all the way to BAH on UA great for those of us that live in Saudi Arabia. We leave BAH around 9:00 PM and arrive in IAD by 6:30 a.m. the next morning (and it's often early). The inflight service, equipment, food, drink etc isn't up to the standards of the Gulf carriers like Qatar, Ethiad or Emirates, but the flight schedule, pricing, connections and MP for us is the best.
So understood about having to get off the plane for a KWI transit to BAH.

Can you leave your personal effects on the plane or do you need to take them with you too?
Quote: So understood about having to get off the plane for a KWI transit to BAH.

Can you leave your personal effects on the plane or do you need to take them with you too?
Even if you are allowed to leave them (which i dont think you are) i would strongly suggest NOT to leave them
Thanks for your info. Is it new configuration 777 or old one?
Quote: Thanks for your info. Is it new configuration 777 or old one?
Positively an old confirguration, at least for the forseeable schedule.

I just confirmed my upcoming on UALcargo and it's showing old. DXB is showing new config now.

Quote: Even if you are allowed to leave them (which i dont think you are) i would strongly suggest NOT to leave them
That's a ROG. Tx.
IAD/BAH and BAH/IAD, how long is the stop at KWI? Thanks
Quote: IAD/BAH and BAH/IAD, how long is the stop at KWI? Thanks
1:15hr stopover on the way there.

[if your doing a run like me, 5:12 hrs in BAH]

And 1:58hr stopover on the return.
I posted my thoughts on KWI over here a few days ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...periences.html
Quote: I posted my thoughts on KWI over here a few days ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...periences.html
Thanks. Good thoughts. Are u sure it's only $10-15us for the Visa? For some reason I had it stuck in my head it was more like $75us (10-15kwd).

Anyone know the visa price is for BAH?
KWI lounge
Here's a thread on KWI airport lounges. I've never been there, but a coworker's brother is working in Kuwait, he visited, and I remember several comments about what an awful airport KWI is.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ge-merged.html
Quote: Thanks. Good thoughts. Are u sure it's only $10-15us for the Visa? For some reason I had it stuck in my head it was more like $75us (10-15kwd).

Yes, you might be right on the visa price.
I asked in another thread but didn't get a response; thought I'd try this one.

Do C/*G pax get lounge access on the ~1:15 layover in KWI when traveling from IAD to BAH? Ordinarily I wouldn't chance it, but I'd like to get a shower and some food before I touch down in BAH.

Thanks in advance.
Quote: Thanks. Good thoughts. Are u sure it's only $10-15us for the Visa? For some reason I had it stuck in my head it was more like $75us (10-15kwd).

5 Dinar last time I was there. They do NOT make change for you. If all you have is a US$100 bill, they'll take it!