Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa

Subscribe
I booked a flight with the companion certificate yesterday, then realized I had a 10% discount because of a birthday. I phoned AS, and they told me that I cannot use the 10% if I book the companion certificate. Is that correct?
Quote: I booked a flight with the companion certificate yesterday, then realized I had a 10% discount because of a birthday. I phoned AS, and they told me that I cannot use the 10% if I book the companion certificate. Is that correct?
Yes. Companion certificates are discount codes, and only one discount code may be applied to a reservation at a time. You may choose to use the 10% discount OR the $99 companion fare, but not both.

If you have any payment credits stored in your My Wallet or as certificate codes, you may apply these dollar-off credits to a purchase with a discount code.
Quote: Yes. Companion certificates are discount codes, and only one discount code may be applied to a reservation at a time. You may choose to use the 10% discount OR the $99 companion fare, but not both.

If you have any payment credits stored in your My Wallet or as certificate codes, you may apply these dollar-off credits to a purchase with a discount code.
Thanks very much for your reply, baliktad. I was better off using the companion fare instead of the 10% discount, so that's what I did. Just wanted to double check if I received the correct information. Thanks again.
Companion Pass Mileage
The first post indicates that mileage will be awarded on the companion pass. Who will get the mileage - me, as the person paying for the tickets, or my spouse who will use the companion pass? If she will get the mileage I need to sign her up, and probably get her the CC :-) We're planning our first ever trip from Texas to Hawaii next year and will most likely fly first class, so there are quite a few points involved.
Quote: The first post indicates that mileage will be awarded on the companion pass. Who will get the mileage - me, as the person paying for the tickets, or my spouse who will use the companion pass? If she will get the mileage I need to sign her up, and probably get her the CC :-) We're planning our first ever trip from Texas to Hawaii next year and will most likely fly first class, so there are quite a few points involved.
You will get the miles for your ticket; your spouse will get the miles for her ticket.
Quote: I booked a flight with the companion certificate yesterday, then realized I had a 10% discount because of a birthday. I phoned AS, and they told me that I cannot use the 10% if I book the companion certificate. Is that correct?
I don't remember ever receiving a 10% discount for a birthday. Is this a regular program? How do you access it?
Quote: I don't remember ever receiving a 10% discount for a birthday. Is this a regular program? How do you access it?
I received an e-mail from AS. I think the discount had to be used for a new booking in your birthday month.
3 or 4 leg trip?
I've read the posts, but am still confused (I don't even have the Visa yet) about whether the companion pass can be used for a trip of 3 or even 4 legs. Ideally we want to go WAS to ANC, ANC to Juneau, [cruise], Sitka to Seattle, Seattle to WAS. If I can only do 3 of the 4 legs, any restriction on which of the middle legs I can do? Thank you.
Quote:
WAS to ANC, ANC to Juneau, [cruise], Sitka to Seattle, Seattle to WAS
Hmmmm. I am doing an upcoming multi-stop trip booked with a companion cert: SEA-DFW, DFW-(via SEA)-LIH, LIH-SEA. But, I don't have an open jaw or a stopover in there (there is a forced overnight in SEA on the DFW-LIH leg, but that's not a "stopover").

It's not clear from your description, but it seems like you want to stopover at ANC, then open jaw between JNU and SIT, then possibly stopover at SEA. While this is bookable in a single AS itinerary, probably priced and sold as multiple one-way tickets, I don't know whether the companion cert has more limited routing rules.
Quote: Hmmmm. I am doing an upcoming multi-stop trip booked with a companion cert: SEA-DFW, DFW-(via SEA)-LIH, LIH-SEA. But, I don't have an open jaw or a stopover in there (there is a forced overnight in SEA on the DFW-LIH leg, but that's not a "stopover").

It's not clear from your description, but it seems like you want to stopover at ANC, then open jaw between JNU and SIT, then possibly stopover at SEA. While this is bookable in a single AS itinerary, probably priced and sold as multiple one-way tickets, I don't know whether the companion cert has more limited routing rules.
I was recently able to do a SEA stopover on a ANC-SEA-MCO itin while using the $99 companion fare.
Quote: I've read the posts, but am still confused (I don't even have the Visa yet) about whether the companion pass can be used for a trip of 3 or even 4 legs. Ideally we want to go WAS to ANC, ANC to Juneau, [cruise], Sitka to Seattle, Seattle to WAS. If I can only do 3 of the 4 legs, any restriction on which of the middle legs I can do? Thank you.
I put this itinerary in the AS website as a multi-city flight (which allows up to four segments) and applied the companion fare discount code and it seemed to work just fine. I used random dates next July; the primary ticket was about $1120 and the companion ticket was about $220 with taxes.
Quote: I put this itinerary in the AS website as a multi-city flight (which allows up to four segments) and applied the companion fare discount code and it seemed to work just fine. I used random dates next July; the primary ticket was about $1120 and the companion ticket was about $220 with taxes.
I have a companion cert as well and ran this itinerary too. Assuming WAS means DCA, random dates in July, open jaw between JNU and SIT, stopover in SEA, and it works. Traveller 1 came in at $1229 (probably the dates I chose) and the companion is $103.76. Taxes are $118.40. Total for 2 passengers is $1451.16. Not bad. If you can swing it, you can bump up to first class on the DCA-ANC and SEA-DCA legs for a total of $2108.08.

Have fun!
Went through the FAQ and didnt see this so figure I'll ask:

Is the companion fare valid for one way flights also?

Reason I'm asking is I have ~92,000 Capital One points which translates to a "free" ticket up to $920. If it's $921+ then they will not reimburse anything.

Thinking of flying biz class SEA-HNL full fare + companion fare ticket, using capital one to cover full fare costs. Way back I wanted to do the same thing with another companion cert ticket, but paying for the full fare ticket.

Thanks,
Bob
Quote: Went through the FAQ and didnt see this so figure I'll ask:

Is the companion fare valid for one way flights also?

Reason I'm asking is I have ~92,000 Capital One points which translates to a "free" ticket up to $920. If it's $921+ then they will not reimburse anything.

Thinking of flying biz class SEA-HNL full fare + companion fare ticket, using capital one to cover full fare costs. Way back I wanted to do the same thing with another companion cert ticket, but paying for the full fare ticket.

Thanks,
Bob
The companion fare is valid for a one-way, but if you are travelling round-trip, it's a waste to use 2 companion certs.

Capital One will actually partially reimburse airfare expenses. You have to specify that the purchase was for multiple tickets (they allow you to specify up to 10) and then you indicate how many you want to be reimbursed for. Essentially you can break down any airfare and be reimbursed in 10% chunks. There's a few more reimbursement tricks if you check the Capital One thread.
^Thanks, had no idea about the capital one reimbursement tricks. Will go check it out.