Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Subscribe
Someone else had a good idea in my other post, that we should have a continuous thread about peeps stories of opting out of the NudeOScope.

List your story here, with Airport, Airline, and other info. It will help all of us to know what to expect at different locations.
Monday 09AUG 2010 at 0915

LAS T2

Flying on AC LAS-YUL

Was selected for N-O-S. Told the TSA officer that I preferred to opt-out. Went through the WTMD and was put in a glass holding pen and told to sit on a stool.

Within less than a minute a TSA officer came and quickly frisked me. I then went on my way.
Quote: Someone else had a good idea in my other post, that we should have a continuous thread about peeps stories of opting out of the NudeOScope.

List your story here, with Airport, Airline, and other info. It will help all of us to know what to expect at different locations.
Thanks for the starting this thread, PDXracer.

In addition to airport and airline info, perhaps include also which terminal or concourse the screening occurred and whether your personal belongings were within sight or obscured.
Earlier this week at BOS terminal B US Airways (main security, not shuttle).

New setup has the nude-o-scope right next to the WTMD so you go through one or the other but not both. I was directed to the nude-o-scope so I notified the TSO that I would be opting out.

I was sent through the nude-o-scope (but did not stop) and never went through the WTMD. Just on the other side of the scope I was patted down. The TSO immediately changed his gloves without me having to ask. The pat down was thorough but not in any way retaliatory. They then did some sort of test on the gloves. The whole time my belongings sat on the rollers near the x-ray. Since I didn't have to go to any special area they were in my sight and they did not do any additional screening on my stuff.

All in all it was handled very well. I was never even asked why I was opting out. It did take much longer than a trip through the WTMD however. These things need to be abolished for how long the process takes if for no other reason.
Last week at CRP (only one checkpoint). Opted out of backscatter, sent through WTMD, thorough pat down with many statements of "I will now use the back of my hand".
The first experience described earlier: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14318335-post1.html

The last opt-out was yesterday at OMA. They ran the WTMD and WBI side by side with one entry line between the units. There was a TSO barker that was telling the crowd that he'd worked there for 8 years so they'd better listen to him. He was complaining that there was no room on the xray belt behind the scanner because there were too many bins piling up. He said people needed to make sure shoes, gloves, hats, belts, wallets, papers and watches were placed directly on the belt to save space. This seemed pretty ridiculous; I'm sure he meant to use a small tray for some of that stuff instead but was in no mood to be questioned.

As a side note: BOS had the same problem when I went through -- bags/bins/gear were piled up on the belt after the scanner. People there were separated from their belongings for several minutes there as they waited for WBI or went through patdown afterward. The belt only moved forward after someone finished WBI and gathered their stuff.

Anyway: Just past the TDC was a TSO sorter that told me to step towards the box (seemingly random selection). I did as she asked; the WBI operator then told me to get in. I told the WBI operator I was going to opt-out; she told me to go back to the sorter. That really seemed to foul things up because when I return to the sorter I was blocking the single entry line. The sorter was frustrated and asked me to push myself up against the side of the WBI machine so that others might be able to slip by and go to the WTMD. She called for a male assist -- that action apparently stopped WBI operations for whatever reason. The next person in line for WBI was turned around and sent to do a normal WTMD screening. (I'm glad that at least one other person was able to benefit from my opt-out).

After a brief wait a TSO came up and had me proceed through the WTMD and then go off to another area to stand on the footprints. He seemed angry but didn't say anything other than "arms up". He did not explain anything further like using the back of his hand for sensitive areas, offering a private screening area or anything like that. He was the only TSO nearby.

He used both of his hands together and pressed *very hard* as he dragged them down my legs -- enough to pull my pants down a bit. After 30 seconds on the legs and feet, he grabbed the frank and beans without warning and did a short squeeze. It was hard enough to make me jump an inch into the air. The surprise grab wasn't painful -- just unexpected. There was more hard rubbing on the back and chest, then he finished off by telling me to sit down and show him the bottom of my feet. He kind of scratched at them a bit and told me to wait while he tested his gloves in a machine. He didn't return, but waved me off from the machine area after the test instead.

The nature of this patdown was a bit more rough, aggressive and less informative than prior ones, but as we all know, TSA procedures and professionalism varies from location to location. The short of it is: If you decline WBI, you're going to get groped. If you go through it, you might end up getting groped anyway.
US locations only? I declined WBI in Canada - either YYZ or YVR but cannot remember which. Actually it was presented as a choice between WBI and full pat down and I chose full pat down (cannot do WBI anyways as I cannot assume the required position)

Full pat down was fine, unobtrusive and professional ie no worse than pat downs in Asia or Europe. Bags were in line of sight the entire time. Every item in carry on was checked and every zipper opened. Male screener seemed to be a little flustered by encountering personal items of a feminine nature. Bag check was completed rather quickly after that.
Quote: After 30 seconds on the legs and feet, he grabbed the frank and beans without warning and did a short squeeze.
That's clearly against procedure. File a complaint and name this jackhole.
Quote: That's clearly against procedure. File a complaint and name this jackhole.
I honestly wouldn't even know what to complain about: Is the back of the hand a requirement for the sensitive areas? Must they verbalize an offer for a private screening? Are they supposed to go over the genitals or not?

This is my second patdown from declining a WBI and probably the 4th overall (2 others being pulled from line at random). Each has been a different experience. I don't recall anything remarkable about the randoms other than they seemed more like a casual patdown that involved normal patting of the clothes - not deep body rubbing.

My earlier WBI-skipping patdown at BOS - while somewhat unnerving due to the crowd of TSOs observing -- was otherwise cordial. The guy there used the back of his hand for almost half my body and communicated to sure there were no surprises. This TSO was rough and said nothing. I know he felt me jump but continued on as if nothing happened. There wasn't any pause or eye contact.

Although he seemed pretty gruff or angry from the beginning, I didn't get the feeling that the surprise grab was vindictive. It just seemed like he didn't any qualms about going over that area. Which goes back to my earlier question: What *are* the procedures/policies in this regard?
Quote: I honestly wouldn't even know what to complain about: Is the back of the hand a requirement for the sensitive areas?
Yes.
Quote:
Must they verbalize an offer for a private screening?
Yes.
Quote:
Are they supposed to go over the genitals or not?
Absolutely not! Doesn't matter whether pain or only surprise was involved -- no alarm = no grab/tug.
I would suggest you consider filing a sexual assault complaint.
Quote: I would suggest you consider filing a sexual assault complaint.
Agree completely. I would file a complaint with the PD first and let them deal with the TSA. What was done to you was not SOP and was sexual assault.

Hopefully, if you did not get the screener's name, you can ID him by physical description, time, date, lane, etc.
Quote: I honestly wouldn't even know what to complain about: Is the back of the hand a requirement for the sensitive areas? Must they verbalize an offer for a private screening? Are they supposed to go over the genitals or not?

This is my second patdown from declining a WBI and probably the 4th overall (2 others being pulled from line at random). Each has been a different experience. I don't recall anything remarkable about the randoms other than they seemed more like a casual patdown that involved normal patting of the clothes - not deep body rubbing.

My earlier WBI-skipping patdown at BOS - while somewhat unnerving due to the crowd of TSOs observing -- was otherwise cordial. The guy there used the back of his hand for almost half my body and communicated to sure there were no surprises. This TSO was rough and said nothing. I know he felt me jump but continued on as if nothing happened. There wasn't any pause or eye contact.

Although he seemed pretty gruff or angry from the beginning, I didn't get the feeling that the surprise grab was vindictive. It just seemed like he didn't any qualms about going over that area. Which goes back to my earlier question: What *are* the procedures/policies in this regard?
I am very sorry to hear about you’re experience there at OMA. It’s my home airport and I have never had a poor experience there. They have always been polite and professional.

In fact, one time I left my laptop at the checkpoint when I was in a hurry to catch a flight. I called them later that day and they put me in touch with the customer service manager who made it her mission to get my laptop back to me as soon as possible. At my expense of course, since I left it there, but it was delivered the very next day by FedEx. It cost me a bundle but was worth it. If you PM me I’ll give you her contact information. She seems to me to be a very proactive person and does not let things sit around.

Deb
Quote:
Opt out Sticky?
Perhaps we could start a sticky of people's experiences opting out. It would be helpful to be detailed- date, time, airport terminal, etc.
A big ^ for following up on my post on your other thread.
Quote: I am very sorry to hear about you’re experience there at OMA. It’s my home airport and I have never had a poor experience there. They have always been polite and professional.

In fact, one time I left my laptop at the checkpoint when I was in a hurry to catch a flight. I called them later that day and they put me in touch with the customer service manager who made it her mission to get my laptop back to me as soon as possible. At my expense of course, since I left it there, but it was delivered the very next day by FedEx. It cost me a bundle but was worth it. If you PM me I’ll give you her contact information. She seems to me to be a very proactive person and does not let things sit around.

Deb
I'm surprised about this too.. I fly out of OMA weekly and rarely experience a bad TSO... OP did you get his name or anything? I would definitely file a complaint, this sounds completely horrid and unacceptable!