Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Subscribe
Quote: Why are people still opting out when you can claim medical disability ("I cant raise my arms") and have a higher probability of being waved through the WTMD without a full-on grope?
I'm not going to lie. Also, even if I am able to minimize the ordeal for myself by lying about a medical condition, it doesn't address the underlying problems of rights violations, radiation risk, government waste, etc.
While this has been rendered moot for myself due to recent actual shoulder injury, simply saying "I cannot assume the position" should be sufficient. If pressed, THEN you can admit that it is based on principle, spite, hatred of the machines, or whatever personal reason you choose, and get the grope you would have otherwise. If they accept your statement at face value, it is not a lie and you get the WTMD as desired.
Quote: One reason I haven't tried it (and probably won't) is that you have to go all the way into the box before you can fake your injury, and once you're in the box you can't see your stuff. Ditto for the period that you're standing around waiting to go through the WTMD after faking it, when your stuff is already on the back side of the checkpoint and you're standing in front.
Uh, no you don't.

When I have to declare a medical, I plant myself in front of the WTMD, and tell the moat dragon that I can't go through. I don't step anywhere close to the backscatter or MMW.
Quote: Uh, no you don't.

When I have to declare a medical, I plant myself in front of the WTMD, and tell the moat dragon that I can't go through. I don't step anywhere close to the backscatter or MMW.
I'm physically incapable of assuming and holding the position. Without exception, when I explain this, I'm told that I am an 'opt-out'. Sometimes it is clear that the TSO thinks I'm faking it because he/she keeps re-iterating that if I don't use the NoS, there's going to be a wait, might be a while, very thorough search of my body and belongings, bla-bla - as though these threats will mysteriously make my physical limitations go away (if only). Sometimes the 'assist' arrives promptly, sometimes there's an extended wait. I always get the bag search and swab.

Often, I say nothing and go into the NoS as directed. When the NoS monitor directs me to assume the position, then I explain that I can't. At that point, I'm in the NoS, holding up the line, and right on the other side are TSOs waiting to perform post-NoS 'resolution' gropes to clear anomalies. I exit the NoS and get a 'resolution' grope that covers my entire body - but at least I never have to wait for an 'assist', so overall, the process is much faster. Also, I've never gotten a bag search/swab when I proceed this way, which speeds things up even more.
Quote: I always Opt out , but wonder why my baggage has to be hand inspected instead of the regular machine inspected ? is that just because I Opted out ?

Or was it just bad luck ?
I had no bag check today at JFK when I opted out, but had one last time at IAD. So I'd guess luck has more to do with it.

Quote: I don't see where the notion of going into the NoS box comes into play.
Me neither. Before I got reasonably better from my shoulder injury, I never stepped into the NoS box. I'd inform them beforehand I couldn't assume the position and they'd wave me through the WTMD.

Now that I'm better, and provided that I have enough time, I'm actually opting out instead of using the shoulder/medical waiver. I like to make other passengers aware that it's an option.

Today at JFK, my SDOO failed and the TSO told me to stand in line for the BSXR. I said "Fine, but then I'll be opting out." He then pretended not to listen thinking I might change my mind when I got to the front of the line. When that happened, I turned to him again and said "I told you I was going to opt out." He rolled his eyes and called for a male assist.

The new TSO arrived in less than 10s. The agent was nice and the grope and explanations were very professional like in all my previous experiences at JFK, albeit a little more thorough than usual. In 3 mins I was on my merry way.
Quote: I'm not going to lie. Also, even if I am able to minimize the ordeal for myself by lying about a medical condition, it doesn't address the underlying problems of rights violations, radiation risk, government waste, etc.
Exactly. I want them to know I am opting out because I don't support the machines. I see no reason to lie.
Quote: This is generally the only issue I run into. They quickly change their gloves (usually without asking), let me watch my bags, carry them over for me, etc. What they don't do, however, is get a "male assist" in an efficient manner (e.g. yelling or walkie). They will often just say "male assist" outloud even though there is clearly no male assist around to hear them say it. It's quite frustrating and I will often point out the fact that no one heard them.
This puts me in mind of a scene from Jerry Lewis' version of the Nutty Professor, where he teachesa a bartender to ask, "What'll it be, Hmmmm?" in a more pleasant manner. Makes me imagine trying to explain to the TSO, "No, no, no, you have to say it with gusto! Like this, say it with me, MALE ASSIST! Yeah, you've got it now, one more time, MALE ASSIST! Right, just do that from now on..."
Quote: One reason I haven't tried it (and probably won't) is that you have to go all the way into the box before you can fake your injury, and once you're in the box you can't see your stuff. Ditto for the period that you're standing around waiting to go through the WTMD after faking it, when your stuff is already on the back side of the checkpoint and you're standing in front.
You guys aren't being dramatic enough I start my performance long before I get near the machine. I make sure they see me placing my bags on the table and doing my unpacking, shoes, etc., with my arms stuck to my sides, wincing in pain. I don't go into the machine, I step in front of the WTMD and state that I cannot raise my arms, making sure the pain from the "ordeal" of lifting, placing my bag is obvious....then I get walked through and repeat the process on the other side as I claim my stuff. Once I'm out of view, I return to normal
I have a shoulder injury (the surgery has only been mildly successful) and I find raising my arm to be uncomfortable (I can do it, but it does cause discomfort) and each time I am always directed to a metal detector.

A few times I have been told to raise my arm to whatever height I am able to and then they run the machine and one time they simply ignored the warning on the arm that I was unable to raise and once they sort of lightly touched it and sent me on my way.

Most time I am sent through the metal detector after being told I am ineligible for AIT.

A few days ago I was told that since I am medically ineligible I was by default an opt-out. The TSA employee called for a male assist and said he is a "medical opt-out" and essentially I was patted down in a cursory manner sort of like the olden days, avoiding all sensitive area.

I asked if this was a new process and he said that medical opt-outs were considered to be not self directed (like a regular opt-out) and due to ADA they had to make an accommodation for those who cannot use the AIT.

Dan
Quote: You guys aren't being dramatic enough I start my performance long before I get near the machine. I make sure they see me placing my bags on the table and doing my unpacking, shoes, etc., with my arms stuck to my sides, wincing in pain. I don't go into the machine, I step in front of the WTMD and state that I cannot raise my arms, making sure the pain from the "ordeal" of lifting, placing my bag is obvious....then I get walked through and repeat the process on the other side as I claim my stuff. Once I'm out of view, I return to normal
I am left to wonder...how can you then put a bag in the aircraft overhead compartment?
Quote: I am left to wonder...how can you then put a bag in the aircraft overhead compartment?
There aren't any screeners on board watching me do it...so I'm 'back to normal' once I'm out of their view.
Quote: There aren't any screeners on board watching me do it...so I'm 'back to normal' once I'm out of their view.
While personally, I choose to be on the up and up...I can understand where other travelers would be compelled to "lie."

It seems only fair. The government continues to lie to the traveling public about the NoS, so there should be no moral compromise to avoid them via a lie.
Quote: I'm physically incapable of assuming and holding the position. Without exception, when I explain this, I'm told that I am an 'opt-out'. Sometimes it is clear that the TSO thinks I'm faking it because he/she keeps re-iterating that if I don't use the NoS, there's going to be a wait, might be a while, very thorough search of my body and belongings, bla-bla - as though these threats will mysteriously make my physical limitations go away (if only). Sometimes the 'assist' arrives promptly, sometimes there's an extended wait. I always get the bag search and swab.

Often, I say nothing and go into the NoS as directed. When the NoS monitor directs me to assume the position, then I explain that I can't. At that point, I'm in the NoS, holding up the line, and right on the other side are TSOs waiting to perform post-NoS 'resolution' gropes to clear anomalies. I exit the NoS and get a 'resolution' grope that covers my entire body - but at least I never have to wait for an 'assist', so overall, the process is much faster. Also, I've never gotten a bag search/swab when I proceed this way, which speeds things up even more.
Then it's a bit confusing why I can breeze right through the WTMD, while you get groped...
Quote: Then it's a bit confusing why I can breeze right through the WTMD, while you get groped...
Ditto. No real problems since I've been claiming medical exemption. This seems to be a safety valve for the TSA, too. Reduces confrontation on both sides. Nobody has ever questioned my inability to assume the position.

Bruce
Quote: I'm physically incapable of assuming and holding the position. Without exception, when I explain this, I'm told that I am an 'opt-out'. Sometimes it is clear that the TSO thinks I'm faking it because he/she keeps re-iterating that if I don't use the NoS, there's going to be a wait, might be a while, very thorough search of my body and belongings, bla-bla - as though these threats will mysteriously make my physical limitations go away (if only). Sometimes the 'assist' arrives promptly, sometimes there's an extended wait. I always get the bag search and swab.

Which airport is this?

They aren't following proper procedure. In the case of "ineligibility" or a medical reason that the person cannot assume the position, they are supposed to send them through the WTMD and pat them down *only* if there's an alarm. You're getting the grope because you didn't go through the WTMD. If you're told "you're an opt out" after saying "medical," a polite but firm "No, I never used that term. I said I am medically unable to lift and hold my arm" is the proper response. Calling an STSO usually does the trick as well.