Hilton Surpass Benefit - Priority Pass

Subscribe
Anyone have any real world experience with this?

I tried to use my new (6 week old) Surpass card to access a Priority Pass lounge (Alaska Board Room in Anchorage) and was denied because I wasn't holding an actual PP card. I showed them in my membership kit that my $27 fee was to be charged to the AMEX and they had no way to process that on their PP terminal.

Before entering the lounge I called AMEX to verify that I didn't have to do some magical enrollment with PP to get in and they told me no, all I had to do was show them my Surpass card.

So, since i had a plenty long wait for my flight I paid the normal admission price of $40 for a day pass and charged it to Surpass. Then I shot an email off to AMEX Customer Service from the lounge and asked what was up. I received a reply within 2 hours stating that I would receive a PP enrollment kit in the mail within 8 weeks of my first purchase. They had my first purchase date documented and told me when I should expect my enrollment kit.

Now, I've gone back over my enrollment materials, my benefit guide and NOTHING NOWHERE says that:

1) You have to separately enroll in PP
2) Your enrollment in PP is delayed until your first purchase activates the sending of your enrollment kit

So you're dangled a benefit that isn't even valid upon payment of your membership fee on this card.

Am I missing something or do I have a beef with AMEX over some false promotional positioning of Card benefits?
Quote: ...called AMEX to verify that I didn't have to do some magical enrollment with PP to get in and they told me no, all I had to do was show them my Surpass card.
You were misinformed. You must have the physical Priority Pass card.

This is explained here:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...Honors-Surpass

Wait for your next flight in style.
A complimentary Priority PassSM membership (valued at $99) is yours as a Hilton HHonors Surpass Cardmember.

Notice the superscript "8" at the end of that sentence. Hover to read the link:

The Basic Cardmember will be automatically enrolled in the Priority Pass program. Priority Pass membership automatically renews on its anniversary date, unless canceled prior to the anniversary date. Priority Pass membership may be cancelled by American Express if the Basic Cardmember's Hilton HHonors Surpass Card is cancelled. Priority Pass membership includes access to airport lounges participating in the Priority Pass program. Participating lounges are owned and operated by independent third parties and their participation and/or facilities may change. To access a lounge, Cardmember must show his/her valid Priority Pass card and an airline ticket for travel on the same day for the Cardmember and each guest. Cardmember will receive the Priority Pass card within 12–14 weeks after Cardmember's first purchase with the Hilton HHonors Surpass Card. Participating lounges may restrict entry to persons under 21 years old. All lounge visits are subject to a fee of U.S. $27 per person, which will be automatically charged to the Cardmember's Hilton HHonors Surpass Card. Priority Pass membership is subject to the Priority Pass terms of use and the individual lounge operators' terms of use for the participating lounges. For complete Priority Pass terms and conditions and a directory of participating lounges, please visit www.prioritypass.com.
I'm not disputing a thing you wrote here, but just FYI, I don't get the same page you do.

Under the heading of Explore all the Hilton HHonors Surpass Card can do for you
and then choosing Travel Benefits, I have to click to expand to see more benefits and the one with superscript 8 has Travel Agents On Call. In fact, the Priority Pass benefit doesn't even appear to be mentioned on the page I was taken to.

My point is this was very poorly documented. I have in my hand the documentation that came with the card. It isn't mentioned anywhere that you have to go through this waiting period, plus the first purchase requirement. Very frustrating!
Quote: Before entering the lounge I called AMEX to verify that I didn't have to do some magical enrollment with PP to get in and they told me no, all I had to do was show them my Surpass card.
I am in the same Priority Pass "where the hell is it?" loop right now. Joiced Surpass in October and still nothing. Even the AMEX people are baffled on WHEN & HOW I can use this service, only stated that "you are enrolled immediately". They are actually investigating and calling me back at home.

Any update on this?
Moderator action
All Priority Pass memberships require a Priority Pass card which American Express should order for you.

Primary discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...n-express.html