[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Subscribe
Quote: Here is a link to the Visa Signature App, there is also an AMEX and a biz card link. I dont see any mention of the 75K on the app, but that is definetly what I was offered.

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001
Just applied with this link...I'm on hold trying to figure out if I'll get an approval. I've done too many of these recently...
Quote: My wife and I had been churners of the personal card last year. She has been receiving e-mails about the BUSINESS Citi card. I, on the other hand have not. Based on this, she decided to apply for the business card. Received the "wait and see" reply. The good news is that they did do a credit pull so they are at least processing the application (whereas you don't even get a credit pull if they deny you for already having the card).
Ah, not in the case of the denial I got in late June. They did a credit pull despite I only reached Step 3. Denial emails came in 2 days.

Good luck to your wife's app. If she has not had a biz card before, she stands a good chance to get approved.
Quote: I applied on the 27th for a Citi AA MC personal card. Pull shows on that date from Citibank in my credit report inquiries. Was approved.

I applied on 29th for a Citi AA Visa business card. Pull shows on that date from Citibank in my credit report inquiries. Still pending.

So i guess this means i didn't get turned down due to being a previous cardholder, since i got two pulls (the app on the 27th was my first Citi card).

Interesting they did 2 hard pulls, even though the dates were only 2 days apart.
Every application will generate a pull. Only way to possibly minimize it is to apply same category of cards from the same issuer back to back on the same day. (no guarantee, but generally works). In fact on my Experian report I saw in 2009 Citi personal card dept did hard pulls on each app but the addresses have the PO Box number transposed - each address generated a hard pull on the same day. So there were 2 hard pulls that would not consolidate because Experian considered them from 2 different entities.

Personal card and business card are handled by different dept. With the inquiry from different entities and addresses, there is no known way to minimize the pulls.
Quote: Interesting, is that an accepted fact? It is a big point. Some of us, (repeat customers) , who fear being turned down, don't want a credit pull and no card. If a turn down, does not generate a hard pull, I'd be more inclined to go for it.
No.

I dont know how deant comes up his conclusion.

In June I was denied for "existing customer". App only reached Step 3. Yet I got a hard pull on the Experian.

The only "no hard pull" I have seen when being denied, was the "too many inquiries" variety - that happened to spouse in Sept 2009 (only 3 hard pulls at the time), followed by instant approvals in Nov 2009. However, I suspect the real reason for denial was due to the same IP address. I did not change the IP address after submitting mine which were instantly approved, and then the following apps in spouse name stopped at Step 3 and were later denied. Since I had 7 inquiries on my report and he only had 3, the reason of "too many inquiries" sounds bogus to me.
Quote: Interesting, is that an accepted fact? It is a big point. Some of us, (repeat customers) , who fear being turned down, don't want a credit pull and no card. If a turn down, does not generate a hard pull, I'd be more inclined to go for it.
Last yr when the pulled the plug, I got instant approval but later got a letter saying that I was ineligible due to being a previous customer. So I'm positive I got a pull
Quote: Last yr when the pulled the plug, I got instant approval but later got a letter saying that I was ineligible due to being a previous customer. So I'm positive I got a pull
That is why I have been saying, having instant approvals / deferred approvals are not sure thing if you have had AA cards before. Only when you receive a Congrat email, or the physical cards, then you know it is for real.

Unlike Chase, Citi chooses to deny you the card instead of issuing you the card but denies you the bonus (that is how Chase enforces the no bonus for previous cardholder rule).
Data point: previous cardholder of the AA personal card. Got only to step 3 of the application process and called the number for status. Denied. (It was worth a shot.)

I also applied for the business visa. Haven't ever applied for that one before, but did not get instant approval either. Was able to get to step 5 for this one where I can personalize some stuff (though no guarantees that it'll be approved). No reference number either so it's a wait and see now.

Good credit scores and income level, but I have been applying for other offers lately so my credit score has been taking some beating as of late.
Quote: No.

I dont know how deant comes up his conclusion.

In June I was denied for "existing customer". App only reached Step 3. Yet I got a hard pull on the Experian.

The only "no hard pull" I have seen when being denied, was the "too many inquiries" variety - that happened to spouse in Sept 2009 (only 3 hard pulls at the time), followed by instant approvals in Nov 2009.
All I can state is that when both my wife and I applied earlier this year and were denied due to being an "existing customer" there were no hard pulls on our credit report. YMMV as always.
Quote: I applied on the 27th for a Citi AA MC personal card. Pull shows on that date from Citibank in my credit report inquiries. Was approved.

I applied on 29th for a Citi AA Visa business card. Pull shows on that date from Citibank in my credit report inquiries. Still pending.

So i guess this means i didn't get turned down due to being a previous cardholder, since i got two pulls (the app on the 27th was my first Citi card).

Interesting they did 2 hard pulls, even though the dates were only 2 days apart.
Business & personal do separate credit pulls with different Citbank names (one's Citibank SD).

Last month I was denied for a (3rd) AA card in a month and reason was "for new customers" but letter said decision based partly on info from Experian, so a pull may have been done.

Can anyone do a screenshot of the 75,000 mile email so people can print it out as "proof" if needed? The 50/100 one is much appreciated !
Quote: The boyfriend got the 50K/100K offer. Instead, he applied for the 75K personal visa and the 75K personal amex. He never had an AA Citi card of any kind previously. Was approved for both without having to call. Will wait to see if both card received and, if so, if 2 promo bonuses post.
Anyone knows what Citi puts on Equifax report for personal AA AMEX inquiry?

I applied for Personal VISA and got this:

CITICORP CREDIT SERVS INC

My wife applied for 35K AMEX card a while ago and got a Citi inquiry from "CITIBANK SD".
Quote: All I can state is that when both my wife and I applied earlier this year and were denied due to being an "existing customer" there were no hard pulls on our credit report. YMMV as always.
This would make sense. Why go through the trouble of a credit check and then check if the app is from a previous cardholder to see if a credit check is even needed. But then again, since when does half the stuff these guys do make any sense. Also goes to show that you can NEVER make a blanket-type statement when it comes to credit cards like Happy's "Every application will generate a pull." (Wait, I think I just made a blanket-type statement.)
Once again, all these personal stories and "data points" only serve to prove that no one can be sure what will happen when you push that "submit" button is. An educated guess is the best we can do. Part of the fun of the game...
looking for some advice as an existing cardholder ...

right now i have the aa visa sig personal and aa visa biz both opened at the start of 2010. previously with chase i've found out too late that they would be more willing to transfer existing credit lines to get a new account set up, rather than start from zero - meaning i should have kept an existing card (ie, a UA visa) open rather than cancel it right before applying for another card (ie, a CO visa).

is citi similar to chase in that regard ? i guess i could really just boil the question down to should i cancel my two cards now and apply for these new 75k or 100k offers sometime before october, or keep them open while applying?
Thanks everyone! Applied for 75K card, instant approval. First mileage card because I'm more interested in cash back in general. However, 75K w/ $1500 spend is so easy.
Quote: 50k, Visa
50k, Amex
50k, Visa Business

As a cardmember, you’ll benefit from:
•50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership1 — enough for two round-trip domestic flight awards2
•$85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*

75k, Visa
75k, Visa Business
75k, Amex

•75,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1,500 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership1 — enough for select round-trip international travel awards2
•$85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*

50k/100k, Visa
50k/100k, Visa Business
50k/100k, Amex

• 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership1
• 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after you make $10,000 in purchases during your first 12 months of cardmembership1 - a total of 100,000 AAdvantage® miles is enough for select round-trip international flight awards2
• $85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*

If anyone uses these, please post if your offer matches what I have listed for confirmation.
existing Citi/AA Card Holders
How long after I rec'd the bonus do I need to wait before cancelling? How long after cards have been canceled do I generally need to wait before reapplying for new cards? THX!
10  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  30  70  120  520