10 days in Cambridge, Ma

Subscribe
My wife and I will be in Cambridge, Ma between 4-16 July. While I will be attending lectures, wife will have time to loaf around alone during the weekdays. We are adventurous but with a limited budget!
Any ideas what she should do in Cambridge? Trekking? Cycling? What is the shopping like?
Grateful for any tips in this regard.
There's plenty of shopping ...a bit in Cambridge, but mostly in Boston. Newbury Street in Boston is nice to walk along when you have nice weather. Copley Place is the upscale mall in Boston with Neiman-Marcus, Tiffany's, etc. Filene's is the off-price store with an entrance on Newbury Street (if she's interested in shopping here, have her sign up on their website and they'll send a coupon good for 20 percent off one item. Do it close to the trip as it comes with a close-in expiration).

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston is worth a visit. The glass flowers at Harvard are also worth seeing. http://www.hmnh.harvard.edu/on_exhib...s_flowers.html

You can rent canoes or kayaks and paddle in the Charles River:
http://www.paddleboston.com/kendall.php

There's a bike path along the river. Here's some rental info: http://www.cambridgebicycle.com/design/rentals.htm

Watch Groupon for Boston too. Some activities and museums frequently come up for half off or so.
Self-guided walking tour
Walking Tour
Quote: There's plenty of shopping ...a bit in Cambridge, but mostly in Boston. Newbury Street in Boston is nice to walk along when you have nice weather. Copley Place is the upscale mall in Boston with Neiman-Marcus, Tiffany's, etc. Filene's is the off-price store with an entrance on Newbury Street (if she's interested in shopping here, have her sign up on their website and they'll send a coupon good for 20 percent off one item. Do it close to the trip as it comes with a close-in expiration).

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston is worth a visit. The glass flowers at Harvard are also worth seeing. http://www.hmnh.harvard.edu/on_exhib...s_flowers.html

You can rent canoes or kayaks and paddle in the Charles River:
http://www.paddleboston.com/kendall.php

There's a bike path along the river. Here's some rental info: http://www.cambridgebicycle.com/design/rentals.htm

Watch Groupon for Boston too. Some activities and museums frequently come up for half off or so.
Let me second the Glass Flowers exhibit. For Mrs. Deubster it was a highlight of our Boston visit. I also recommend your wife become acquainted with the MBTA, as most things she'll want to do are in Boston, a very walkable city. We had a great time touring Beacon Hill, starting at the Make Way for Ducklings statues in Boston Common, touring the State House, winding back and forth on Myrtle, Pinckney, Mt. Vernon, and Chestnut streets. We located homes of Louisa May Alcott, Sylvia Plath, Daniel Webster, Julia Ward Howe, and John Kerry.

With as much time as you have, you or she might really enjoy a trip to Salem or even Rockport, both very lovely destinations. You can take the Red Line to Park Street station, switch to the Green Line out to North Station, then take the commuter train to either, or go north to Porter Square and do it all by train. Either way, you can be in Salem in well under 2 hours and for less than $8.
Thanks!
Wow, thanks to you all for promptly responding! I live in Delhi, India and so I seriously appreciate all your tips. Great forum, super members!
Thanks again!!
I'm not sure of the exact commuter rail roundtrip charge, but I'm positive it's more than $8 to Rockport/Salem. At any rate, keep in mind that there can be gaps in service outside of rush hour, and this is even more true on the weekend. Read your schedule carefully.

Rockport is a really cute town. The center is very walkable, and has many cute shops and places to eat, plus a couple of small beaches. Halibut Point State park has a quarry and stunning views from the rocks over the ocean. You could probably do a little wading from the rocks that are closer to the water, but it isn't a good place to actually swim. The park is a long walk from the commuter rail, but there may be local bus service.

Manchester-by-the Sea is also another nice town on the same commuter rail line. It has a very picturesque, swimming beach that would be about a 10 minute walk from the commuter rail. I think they charge a small walk-on fee. There's good ice cream at Captain Dusty's across from the park area in the center of town.

I like the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, particularly its "Chinese House" but personally, don't care for the "witch" sites.

Hope you have fun, whatever you decide to do!
Not especially cheap but have her take a Duck Tour on a World War II era amphibious truck. The starting point is at one of three popular locations. Chances are the one in Cambridge near the Museum of Science and the Cambridgeside Galleria Mall will be your best bet. The tour lasts about an hour and a half and will give a great tour of famous sites around Boston. It's quite fun when the truck goes into the water for a cruise around the Charles River.

EDIT: As an additional note, Massachusetts does NOT charge sales tax on clothing and footwear costing $175 or less. The portion above $175 is taxed at the standard 6.25%. If the exchange rate is favorable, this may be a great opportunity to pickup some clothing at great prices.
Quote: Not especially cheap but have her take a Duck Tour on a World War II era amphibious truck. The starting point is at one of three popular locations. Chances are the one in Cambridge near the Museum of Science and the Cambridgeside Galleria Mall will be your best bet. The tour lasts about an hour and a half and will give a great tour of famous sites around Boston. It's quite fun when the truck goes into the water for a cruise around the Charles River.
Do not, however, use the Superduck. I did that recently and the guide focused almost entirely on celebrity gossip. Splashing into Boston Harbor was fun, but I really had no interest in where Johnny Depp's yacht was moored.