Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can Entertainment Book discount be combined with CS '$100 off' vouchers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2003, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

I confess the 'legal' specifics of what are type A and Type B vouchers always confused me, as UA seem themselves to be inconsistent on this. I understand both types can be combined off a ticket, but am never sure what exactly are what in UA eyes.

Can one buy a ticket direct off UA using an Entertainment Book '% off' voucher AND also apply a $200 Customers Service "Systemwide Travel Voucher" bluey along with the Ent. book deal? Says on the back this is a "Type B" voucher.

The Australian Ent. book voucher does not say whether it is treated as Type A or Type B. I am assuming how they treat the USA ones is what SYD will treat the oz ones as.

I am sure someone here knows for sure.

While I am typing does anyone have a couple of "PMO Friends" 15% off vouchers spare? They always work from here, and most other "% off" do not. Please email if you do and we might work something out.

The expired ones of those I still have said for USA travel they are treated as "type A" and for It'l treat as type "B" so that adds to the confusion in my mind! What is the wording in this regard on current ones for anyone with them?

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just read fine print on back of Ent Book which says:

Only one discount certificate, discount voucher, or discount may be used per ticket. No other discounts apply.

So maybe that precludes the "$$$ Off" bluey, unless 'Systemwide travel vouchers' are not falling into the catch-alls above??
Old Aug 31, 2003, 1:47 am

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
A few weeks ago I tried to use a 15% Entertainment coupon and a $25.00 coupon (the kind they used to give away like candy).

Customer Service Agent event went as far as double checking...nope, couldn't combine them.

Don't know if its the same type of coupon but there you have it.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 1:47 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Yes, but a Type B voucher is not a discount, rather it is a form of payment. So it should not be classified as a discount certificate, discount voucher, or discount. In general it is accepted that only one of these (Type A) certificates may be used at a time, anyway, so this is nothing special. But, your Type B voucher is a form of payment, and should be combinable with the Type A. You should even be allowed to use additional Type B vouchers, if you so choose. It would be similar to paying for half your ticket with cash, and the other half with a credit card. This, at least, is my understanding.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 1:50 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by carlhaynes:
Don't know if its the same type of coupon but there you have it.</font>
carlhaynes, I think that in your case, the agent was correct. Both of those coupons are likely "Type A" coupons, and these are no more combinable than two grocery store coupons might be. If you had attempted to use the 15% Entertainment certificate with a $25 voucher from a VDB booklet, this likely would have worked as the latter is considered a "Type B" voucher.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 5:55 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I have my most "spirited" discussions with ticketing agents about this.

Type A is usually a DISCOUNT to the price of a ticket. Your "bluey", a 15% Friends and Family, etc. They are taken off the price of a ticket that you will eventually pay for. Note: these type A vouchers cannot be combined.

Type B vouchers are a FORM OF PAYMENT towards a ticket. VDB vouchers or residual vouchers from a decrease in a former ticket are examples of these. Note: VDB BOOKS can be used to purchase a ticket, VDB single vouchers from different books cannot be combined. Residual vouchers can be combined and the balance paid by credit card. My angels say that they do not like to combine more than three residuals at a time because they run out of room.

Only the most senior and/or knowledgable ticket agents know this. It often takes a few phone calls for this to be done correctly.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
This is more general than specific to your question, ozstamps, but for the benefit of others:

Type A and Type B vouchers are combinable. Two of the same type cannot be combined (except for, say, VDB vouchers from the same pack).
Type A is a discount certificate which reduces the price of the ticket itself.

Type B is a voucher used towards the price of the ticket.

For more on this, see Carrier Issued Certificates and Vouchers from the ARC Handbook.

See a nice discussion from the Flyertalk archives on combining.

So what are you to do when you have two of the same type of certificate and want to use them? cblaisd pointed out a way to combine these things sometimes is to check whether two one-way fares are the same price as a round trip.. and then ticket each direction separately, effectively doubling your discount.

------------------
View from the Wing: A blog about Free Miles and Free Markets
Old Aug 31, 2003, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by iluv2fly:

Type A is usually a DISCOUNT to the price of a ticket. Your "bluey", a 15% Friends and Family, etc. They are taken off the price of a ticket that you will eventually pay for. Note: these type A vouchers cannot be combined.

</font>
Thanks as always for the excellent and informed input folkds, especially gleff's useful links.

iluv2fly - as I mentioned in first post, my CS "bluey" states on it clearly that it is in fact a "Type B" voucher.

I am still not sure if the Ent. book vouchers are Type "A" - but reading the above it seems so?

If so, if seems BOTH may be used together quite correctly?

Old Aug 31, 2003, 8:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Just a friendly reminder re: Entertainment discounts (at least here in the US). These are VERY fare specific. Not all fares qualify for using these.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ldsant. The oz ones are rather good.

The discount is 25% off and they are applicable to virtually ANY buyable UA metal class coach ticket that UA rez sells from here to the USA or Canada - right up to June 2004. (And Biz and F there is a seperate coupon for 2 for 1 and BOTH pax accrue miles!)

The only thing I am still NOT 100% clear on is whether UA regard Ent. Book discounts as "Type A" vouchers.
Old Sep 1, 2003, 9:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
ldsant. The oz ones are rather good.

The discount is 25% off and they are applicable to virtually ANY buyable UA metal class coach ticket that UA rez sells from here to the USA or Canada - right up to June 2004. (And Biz and F there is a seperate coupon for 2 for 1 and BOTH pax accrue miles!)

The only thing I am still NOT 100% clear on is whether UA regard Ent. Book discounts as "Type A" vouchers.
</font>
Oz...what's the profile?
Old Sep 14, 2003, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vdb seeker:

Oz...what's the profile?</font>
Coupon does not have any code on it unfortunately to help.

Only info on-line is this:

http://www.entertainmentpublications.com.au/united.asp

Old Sep 15, 2003, 2:37 am

You cannot combine two discounts toward one ticket.
You can combine a discount (%off coupon) cert. with a travel cert (UA money- cash).
You cannot combine a 50% off coupon with a 25% coupon for 75% off the price of a ticket.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyGirl 03:

You cannot combine a 50% off coupon with a 25% coupon for 75% off the price of a ticket.

</font>
Well I am not sure anyone here suggested that was possible. i.e. if it were, taking in 7 x 15% off Ent. books coupons would mean UA needs fly you for free.

The query relates to ONE of those (Type A) combined with a Type B.

Old Sep 9, 2004, 7:30 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
I have a related question. Suppose I am booking an itinerary for two pax. Can I use a $200 TC and CS25 for passenger A and another $200 TC and CS25 for passenger B, or do they need to be put on seperate itineraries?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.