Virgin Mobile Broadband USA (Dongle and Skype video calling)

Subscribe
I'm going to be spending a couple of months in the US and I'm thinking of getting the Virgin Mobile Broadband 5GB/$60/30day service. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband

The main reason is so I can do Skype video calling anywhere I am.

I don't have a dongle and was wondering if there is a cheaper/better option than buying the dongle from Virgin?
I want to be able to use the dongle internationally with other mobile broadband services in other countries rather than only have it work with Virgin/it only work in the US.

Advice?

Most reports I've read indicate Virgin Mobile Broadband works pretty well. Ok speeds, connectivity. ?

I'm from New Zealand if that's relevant.
This is a CDMA/EVDO dongle carried on the Sprint network. I doubt you can use it anywhere else.
Hmmm. May have posted too soon. Seems like I would have to buy the Virgin supplied dongle and then couldn't use it elsewhere, which at $99 almost doubles the cost for two months of service (total $99 + $120).

This might push it past what is worthwhile to me.
If you are in ... civilized ... places in the US you might be able to get away with knowing the free WIFI hotspots around the towns you are visiting. Or maybe get a month-to-month on tmobile hotspot (wifi service). $40 and you cancel after the month. Plenty of locations (hotels, airports, starbucks, etc).

Its not a dongle, its just a wifi service but they have roaming agreements with other international partners for wifi service.
this is pretty much the only prepaid option out there. Best thing is to just buy it, then sell it on Ebay when you are done with it.
Both great suggestions Scott and Ross.
Thanks